Fun Finds in the Past
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 82 of 111123 ... 79, 80, 81, 82, 83 ... 109110111
Author

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu May 05, 2011 3:44 pm 

That copper buckle is cool, but I like the dual lizardmen best.  8)

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Thu May 05, 2011 4:18 pm 

Nice listing, Frank. :)
ExTSR wrote:1. TSR Hobbies, with flanking mirror-image lizard men
Brass casting, undated
Marked obverse: Spec-Cast, Rockford (IL)
Earliest known official TSR buckle
Rarity: 9 of 10

Would you mind terribly if I downrated this, or was I lucky in picking up the surplus TSR stock via Aaron (NKG) some years back? Think I had eight or nine at one point and was giving them away as freebies...

(Slightly less common with the pin intact, perhaps!)

ExTSR wrote:3. TSR "The Game Wizards", with "face" logo
Brass casting, Deluxe TSR '80s buckle, using same mold as brass
Rarity: 6 of 10

Pewter; but do you have any idea where the old backstory came from that the pewter edition was /originally/ "staff only"; or was that never the case?
I know the one Dave Sutherland wore on a day-to-day basis was brass rather than pewter, anyhow.

ExTSR wrote:4. TSR "The Game Wizards", with "face" logo
Copper alloy casting, Test buckle, not produced in quantity
Rarity: 10 of 10

Don't recall seeing this one, sorry, and hoping that I didn't give away any without thinking twice about color differences!

"7.3 ORGANIZING THE PARTY: Always have a keg, even if it's BYOB...
7.4 TAKING THE GAME SERIOUSLY: Don't"

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu May 05, 2011 4:50 pm 

ExTSR wrote:1. TSR Hobbies, with flanking mirror-image lizard men
Brass casting, undated
Marked obverse: Spec-Cast, Rockford (IL)
Earliest known official TSR buckle

(#2-7 Marked obverse: Bergamot Brass, Delavan WI, 1980; but prolly cast around 1982)

3. TSR "The Game Wizards", with "face" logo
Brass casting, Deluxe TSR '80s buckle, using same mold as brass
Rarity: 6 of 10

I have #1 and #3...
The #1 is exactly as you stated, though I cannot speak to the rarity of this or any other TSR buckle.

The #3 I have is also Pewter, and is marked as follows on the obverse side:
(upper plank)
c  1980 TSR Hobbies Inc.  (Dont know how to make the little copyright sign)
All Rights Reserved
(lower plank)
MANUFACTURED BY
BERGAMOT
BRASS WORKS
DARIEN WISCONSON

I obtained both of them from two seperate auctions on e-Bay by Paul Stormberg of items from the collection of William Hoyer.

In any case, the Lizardman Buckle is easily one of my favorite game related collectable items.

FWIW: My pegs are solid...  8)    :lol:

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu May 05, 2011 5:00 pm 

faro wrote:or was I lucky in picking up the surplus TSR stock via Aaron (NKG) some years back?

You were lucky to pick them up from Aaron.  I had them in shopping cart and almost clicked the purchase button a few times :)  A nice buy.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Thu May 05, 2011 5:15 pm 

Mars wrote:You were lucky to pick them up from Aaron.  I had them in shopping cart and almost clicked the purchase button a few times :)  A nice buy.

Same here, Mark! They were on his site a long time but no-one quite got around to asking how badly he wanted to shift them.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu May 05, 2011 5:41 pm 

Awesome pic, seeing them all lined up side-by-side! Thanks for sharing.

ExTSR wrote:7. TSR /RPGA "Wing" logo with "world dodecahedron"
Pewter casting with enamel inlay, RPGA buckle for TSR Executives only
(Note: known inlays are blue, red, or green)

Minor quibble: isn't the RPGA "world" a 20-sided die (icosahedron rather than dodecahedron/12-sider)?

Zenopus Archives website & blog: Exploring the Underworld of Holmes Basic D&D. Holmes Ref: Reference Sheets for Holmes Basic Referees, also compatible with OD&D plus the Greyhawk supplement

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu May 05, 2011 5:46 pm 

Hearing that about NK praps the original should go to an 8/10... but certainly no lower (and consider that all the hard-core collectors are prolly on this site). Outside of Acaeum members, prolly a 10. ;>

Typos fixed, thanx.

Bill Hoyer was my right-hand man in starting the RPGA, but I didn't know his background at the time. Much later I found out about his membership in the IFW, LGTSA, etc. and role in the foundations of the hobby.  :oops:

F

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Thu May 05, 2011 6:10 pm 

ExTSR wrote:Hearing that about NK praps the original should go to an 8/10... but certainly no lower (and consider that all the hard-core collectors are prolly on this site). Outside of Acaeum members, prolly a 10. ;>

*lol* What's new there, Frank? :)

Ah... having checked the records I stand corrected on the number Aaron still had left at the end - and that the amount paid for those /was/ rather higher than for the face logo buckles. Still probably would've been six or seven (pairs of) Lizardmen on the shelf in total at that point.

Zenopus wrote:Minor quibble: isn't the RPGA "world" a 20-sided die (icosahedron rather than dodecahedron/12-sider)?

Duh... I missed that, too! ^^

Not even one of Zocchi's original (withdrawn) lopsided d12s looks like a d20. *g*

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu May 05, 2011 10:35 pm 

Been lucky enough to hit on some local kijiji ads... first, a decent enough OCE - nothing like being able to see what you're buying & eliminating the possibility of postal damage :)

And, got a head start on my new SW collecting hobby - can't say for certain if it'll stick - but the price was right :wink:  

Finally, found a softcover 3.5 PHB - never seen one before - and happy to add to the shelf :)

I draw the line at collecting... D&D beach towels.

Shoulda been: ".. from Pangreenia to Floratopolis, from mystical Treeonia of spectral Forests to Schruborial dimensions." - The Forests of Leng

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri May 06, 2011 6:40 am 

The price WAS right on those-I saw the Kijiji ad-emailed the guy and he said he was holding them for a potential buyer and he would contact me if things didn't work out. I knew it had to be someone on this site. Congrats...I guess  :(

If you believe that ADVANCED DUNGEONS AND DRAGONS is a game worth playing, you will certainly find it doubly so if you play well.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Fri May 06, 2011 7:55 am 

flyingmelon wrote:The price WAS right on those-I saw the Kijiji ad-emailed the guy and he said he was holding them for a potential buyer and he would contact me if things didn't work out. I knew it had to be someone on this site. Congrats...I guess  :(

Sorry Mate!  It was a bit of a drive to pick them up, and the picture in the ad wasn't the best so I wasn't 100% sure what I was getting, but absolutely - I was pleased when I saw them :)

Shoulda been: ".. from Pangreenia to Floratopolis, from mystical Treeonia of spectral Forests to Schruborial dimensions." - The Forests of Leng

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri May 06, 2011 10:37 am 

davidc wrote: It was a bit of a drive to pick them up, and the picture in the ad wasn't the best so I wasn't 100% sure what I was getting, but absolutely - I was pleased when I saw them :)

Is that the one from Kingston? I inquired (when it was still available) but didn't follow up with an offer.  I've picked up 3 nice lots in KW over the last few weeks from Kijiji too.  The last one was a nice stack of Judges Guild stuff where I found the CanGames tourney.  Kijiji is great!

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Fri May 06, 2011 11:30 am 

Mars wrote:
Is that the one from Kingston? I inquired (when it was still available) but didn't follow up with an offer.  I've picked up 3 nice lots in KW over the last few weeks from Kijiji too.  The last one was a nice stack of Judges Guild stuff where I found the CanGames tourney.  Kijiji is great!

Just stay on your side of the map, lol, Eastern Ontario is mine :)

(The OCE came from Kingston along with a few common mods, the SW lot came from Oakville and was a bargain... except now I have to deal with the urge to re-buy every 1E mod in shrink!)

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri May 06, 2011 1:17 pm 

davidc wrote:... except now I have to deal with the urge to re-buy every 1E mod in shrink!

Congratulations!  You have just taken the first step on the road to enlightenment. ;)

Hello Mrs. Cleaver, Theodore.

Gee, Mrs. Cleaver ... That certainly is a lovely dress.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Fri May 06, 2011 2:05 pm 

smarmy1 wrote:You have just taken the first step on the road to madness.

Fixed

Areas of interest/knowledge: Harn, WFRP, Ars Magica, anything BRP based such as CoC, Runequest, Pendragon and all their related games

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri May 06, 2011 5:27 pm 

:lol:

Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri May 06, 2011 5:48 pm 

smarmy1 wrote:
Congratulations!  You have just taken the first step on the road to bankruptcy. ;)

Refixed.

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri May 06, 2011 6:03 pm 

8O

Sad but true...  :cry:

PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 82 of 111123 ... 79, 80, 81, 82, 83 ... 109110111