Fun Finds in the Past
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 81 of 111123 ... 78, 79, 80, 81, 82 ... 109110111
Author

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:20 pm 

Can I play?

Just one, but it made me happy: Last night, Half Price Books I got a copy of the 1E Deities and Demigods - first printing, good condition, inside like new for 5.95 (3.95 after my discount coupon).

Life is sweet.

-SJ

If I'm not me, who am I? And if I'm somebody else, why do I look like me?
-Popeye

Beblach!

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:52 pm 

Gnat the Beggar wrote:
I have copies of:
Blasted Land (With folder)
Nanorien Stones (SWed in Folder) (At least for now anyway) 8)
Beastmaker Mountain (no folder)

And I think there are 2-3 others (including Fez I) that I do not yet have.

Kobold Hall is the fifth of the foldered modules.

SmokestackJones wrote:Just one, but it made me happy: Last night, Half Price Books I got a copy of the 1E Deities and Demigods - first printing, good condition, inside like new for 5.95 (3.95 after my discount coupon).

Despite our recent discussion of DDG being overpriced, that's definitely a deal!

Areas of interest/knowledge: Harn, WFRP, Ars Magica, anything BRP based such as CoC, Runequest, Pendragon and all their related games

** Banned **

Post Posted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 3:12 pm 

32 Gamma World blisters, all in one place  :D .

Ithaca Dragon
-==(UDIC)==-

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:41 pm 

Ok MetamorphosisSigma, that picture made me stop being a lurker here and actually register for these boards!

That find is absolutely amazing.  Please share the details of the find... where, how, and did you have a mini heart attck when you laid eyes on that incredible treasure trove?!

Are there any doubles you would be willing to sell? If you do not want any or all of those, please contact me.  As a Gamma World fanatic, I have been trying to collect these minis for years, and I would be so thrilled to have any of them you'd be willing to part with.

Is that a pack of Podogs at the bottom of the fourth column from the left?  I have never even seen them!

And is that a Yexil on the right bottom corner?!

If nothing else, if you would be willing to share any information about these packs (esp. good, close up photos of the minis inside the packs), I would be eternally grateful.

Ok... I'm going to call 911 now for the heart attack I just had looking at the picture...

Gravity Thief (Dave)

Edit: It looks like you have them lying out in order of pack number.  Am I correct?

** Banned **

Post Posted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 11:01 pm 

GravityThief wrote:Ok MetamorphosisSigma, that picture made me stop being a lurker here and actually register for these boards!

Welcome, and thanks. You should stop in at the introduction thread, above, and let everyone know what your collecting interests are, etc.

That find is absolutely amazing.  Please share the details of the find... where, how, and did you have a mini heart attck when you laid eyes on that incredible treasure trove?!

Yeah, I was pretty stoked. Let's just say I found them with the help of a fellow gamer with a good eye, and a dusty old game store in a foreign (to me) country. Mini heart attack didn't happen 'til I knew the asking price, LOL.

Are there any doubles you would be willing to sell? If you do not want any or all of those, please contact me.  As a Gamma World fanatic, I have been trying to collect these minis for years, and I would be so thrilled to have any of them you'd be willing to part with.

There's one double (human adventurers), but I'd like to hold onto it.

Is that a pack of Podogs at the bottom of the fourth column from the left?  I have never even seen them!

And is that a Yexil on the right bottom corner?!

Yes, and yes.

If nothing else, if you would be willing to share any information about these packs (esp. good, close up photos of the minis inside the packs), I would be eternally grateful.

I will definitely post photos as soon as I have the opportunity.

Edit: It looks like you have them lying out in order of pack number.  Am I correct?

Yes.

Ithaca Dragon
-==(UDIC)==-

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 11:33 pm 

Thanks for the welcome and the reply, Sigma.  I will post in the intro thread as soon as I can.

What an amazing find.  I wonder how many unopened packs still exist in the entire world.  I mean, those things are over 30 years old!

I was a fan of GW from the second I laid eyes on the 1st edition back in '79.  I was lucky enough to have purchased some GW packs as well as the two box sets back in the very early 80's.  Happily, I still have the minis today, but there are a lot I am missing, and none of them are MIB.

Thanks for sharing this with us, Sigma.  I am really looking forward to the photos!

-Gravity Thief

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:06 am 

GravityThief wrote:Thanks for the welcome and the reply, Sigma.  I will post in the intro thread as soon as I can.

What an amazing find.  I wonder how many unopened packs still exist in the entire world.  I mean, those things are over 30 years old!

I was a fan of GW from the second I laid eyes on the 1st edition back in '79.  I was lucky enough to have purchased some GW packs as well as the two box sets back in the very early 80's.  Happily, I still have the minis today, but there are a lot I am missing, and none of them are MIB.

Thanks for sharing this with us, Sigma.  I am really looking forward to the photos!

-Gravity Thief

This is the amazing thing about getting old. "Those things are over 30 years old!" I remember when that would have seemed such a huge amount of time, but now I can picture every one of those 30 years. I can remember those Gamma World miniatures hanging on pegs, brand new on the wall of a hobby store (now long gone) in central New Jersey. Thinking about them right now I can see them as clearly as though they were a foot from me. The brown peg board, the metal hooks he had on the wall bending a little from the weight of the packs. The narrow isle between these minis and the shelves filled with model trains on the opposite wall. I can see the counter of the store, the cash register, the owner behind with grey and brown mustache and glasses, but I can't remember his name or even the stores.

Excellent find there.

"You get more with a kind word and an excruciator than with just a kind word."

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:24 pm 

I just went looking for a list of the Grenadier GW minis, and found this blog post. Looks like it is the source of the above minis:

http://badgerkingden.blogspot.com/2011/ ... tures.html

Didn't find a complete list, though I gave up after a few minutes.  :)

Zenopus Archives website & blog: Exploring the Underworld of Holmes Basic D&D. Holmes Ref: Reference Sheets for Holmes Basic Referees, also compatible with OD&D plus the Greyhawk supplement

** Banned **

Post Posted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:40 pm 

Yep, you got me. I happened to be searching for Gamma World blisters on Google (there being none on eBay at the time), a few hours after he made the blog post :). There's nothing like being obsessive and lucky at the same time.

Complete lists can be found here:

http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~tpope/sol/grenadier/gamma-world.html

and here:

http://www.miniatures-workshop.com/lostminiswiki/?title=Gamma_World

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:49 pm 

MetamorphosisSigma wrote:Yep, you got me. I happened to be searching for Gamma World blisters on Google (there being none on eBay at the time), a few hours after he made the blog post :). There's nothing like being obsessive and lucky at the same time.

Complete lists can be found here:

http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~tpope/sol/grenadier/gamma-world.html

and here:

http://www.miniatures-workshop.com/lostminiswiki/?title=Gamma_World

Thanks. Good score. Glad someone here got them.

Some fun names there - "G-47 Mutant Do-It-Yourself 1" and "G-52 Robot Tankettes 2".

Now I want to see the same list, but with pics of painted examples.  :D

Zenopus Archives website & blog: Exploring the Underworld of Holmes Basic D&D. Holmes Ref: Reference Sheets for Holmes Basic Referees, also compatible with OD&D plus the Greyhawk supplement

** Banned **

Post Posted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:56 pm 

Zenopus wrote:Thanks. Good score. Glad someone here got them.

Thanks.

Some fun names there - "G-47 Mutant Do-It-Yourself 1" and "G-52 Robot Tankettes 2".

You've gotta love the concept of the Mutant DIY  :lol: .

Now I want to see the same list, but with pics of painted examples.  :D

That'd be awesome. So far I've only been able to find painted examples of the very common 1983 GW/Star Frontiers packs (androids, etc.). Still cool, though.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:58 pm 

It has long been on my list to visit the shops in Winnipeg but I haven't managed to get out there for a few years.  Nice score for you and the original purchaser!

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:57 am 

Just picked up a 4th printing OD&D boxed set with all the supplements for a little over $270 (shipping included) from the UK

box cover was flat (no dishing) but had two corners torn
interior books tight, with minor wear and no writing
supplements are
Greyhawk 4th print
Blackmoor 2nd print
Eldritch Wizardry 2nd print
Gods, Demigods, and Heroes 1st print
Swords and Spells 2nd print
all in reasonable condition, tight spine, very little if any staple rust

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:36 am 

Sorry, Serian, whenever I read the word 4th I flinch a little bit and skip over it.

It took me a re-read to discover you were talking about OD&D.

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:31 am 

FormCritic wrote:Sorry, Serian, whenever I read the word 4th I flinch a little bit and skip over it.

It took me a re-read to discover you were talking about OD&D.

No 4E here.  I started playing in 1979.  Anything D&D after 1986 is questionable, and that weird "2.5", 3.x and 4E stuff is just utter blasphemy.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:37 am 

I'm a proponent of the 3.5 and Pathfinder generation of D&D.

I have played them all except for 4th edition...which I own but have not yet stomached.

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 7:59 pm 

JasonZavoda wrote:This is the amazing thing about getting old. "Those things are over 30 years old!" I remember when that would have seemed such a huge amount of time, but now I can picture every one of those 30 years.

Hell, it's been so long I think of this as much in terms of nostalgia for nostalgia. A random stimulus such as the Metagaming MicroGames takes me back to spring 1996, when an LGS found a cache of them in a warehouse somewhere. I didn't get the internet until summer '96 to buy old-school RPGs online, so it was like a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. I remembered looking at the catalog lists of these things as a kid, in the back of Metagaming titles I owned then (early '80s). Now here they were (mid-'90s). I would daydream about buying more all day at work. Around the same time, I saw a hot young girl get off the bus wearing a retro Star Wars ring t-shirt, cause this was also when retro-Lucasism started up. I asked her where she got it. "The mall," she replied tersely, apparently thinking I was hitting on her. Which was only partially true.

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 11:48 pm 

Serian wrote:Just picked up a 4th printing OD&D boxed set with all the supplements for a little over $270 (shipping included) from the UK

box cover was flat (no dishing) but had two corners torn
interior books tight, with minor wear and no writing
supplements are
Greyhawk 4th print
Blackmoor 2nd print
Eldritch Wizardry 2nd print
Gods, Demigods, and Heroes 1st print
Swords and Spells 2nd print
all in reasonable condition, tight spine, very little if any staple rust

Sorry to bring this thread off the popular current topic; but going back to Serian's Fun Find:
Seems like a good purchase to me.
Based on the conditions stated; the five Supplements alone should be worth more than half your total purchase price alone.

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 81 of 111123 ... 78, 79, 80, 81, 82 ... 109110111