Fun Finds in the Past
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 78 of 111123 ... 75, 76, 77, 78, 79 ... 109110111
Author

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:43 pm 

Katchoo wrote:Ah!  I think I saw that exact auction.  Wasn't it a BIN?  I remember spotting it while at work and planned to probably scoop it up... and by the time I got home, it was gone.  lol  You beat me to it.  ;)  Nice grab!  :)

~Kat  ^_^

Maybe I have not been paying enough attention, but it is good to see Kat back!  :D

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:58 pm 

bbarsh wrote:Maybe I have not been paying enough attention, but it is good to see Kat back!  :D

Yes, I had not seen Kat posting for a while either.

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:22 pm 

Some of you may have noticed that I listed a few rare items over the past few days.

HERE IS WHY!

A large lot (To me anyway...) I purchased a week or so back.

Spent ALL of my gathered up NTPRGCON Funds to buy it too... and then some...  8O

Now I must find a way to replace that fund ...

Here is the Listing...

** expired/removed eBay auction **

The Package was sitting on the porch when I got home today.

As I walked up the walk to my house, I could already see that the box had ripped open (Completely) with a tear along one entire side and my heart missed a few beats...  8O

I could see everything in the box without even picking the box up!   8O

Got the box inside and opened it up the rest of the way, knowing I had probably lost a bunch of stuff.  :cry:

Here is what I found:

TSR AD&D Core Rule Books...

ALL are First Prints:

Players Handbook (Orange Flyleaf's, so its a 1st Beta print I guess) Very Fine

Dungeon Master Guide (D runs off the cover)  Very Fine

Monster Manual  Very Fine to Near Mint (This book crinkled when I opened It up!)  

(OH MY GOODNESS!)

2nd Print of Deities and Demigods - Very Fine (144 pages, with Thanks on page 4)

OD&D White Box Set 5th print

Box Poor to Fair, Crushed with some tears... OK POOR

Men-VG

Monsters-Good (cover is separated)

Underworld-VF

(There are some White Reference Sheets present, but I think not complete)

Orange colored digest sized sheets (they look like the Reference Sheets for the OD&D Box Sets)

OD&D Supplements:

4th Print Greyhawk - Fair to Good (Cover loose, otherwise nice)

2nd Print Blackmoor -- Very Fine to NM

1st Print Eldritch Wizardry -- Fine (Slight fraying along the spine but NOT loose, some writing on the notes pages at back in pencil)

Strategic Review Vol. 1, No. 1 -- Near Mint

Blank Hex Sheets Pad (Red Glue Strip still on the top)

Small Hex; Top tearing with 8 unused white sheets remaining, no backboard

Plus one more sheet that has a detailed wilderness map drawn in colored pencil.

Two Blue PC Records Sheets (used, pencil only)

Copyright 1977-TSR Hobbies, Inc.

17 Dice- All are the Old type of dice, most in great condition others rounded corners, for which I have no clue as to values.

Monster & Treasure Assortment Sets:

All have Lizard Logos and all are Very Fine to Near Mint.

Set One: 1st Print  (Outdoor Geomorphs listed as Future Products)

Set Two: 1st Print (Hobbits at encounter 43)

Set Three 2nd Print (Set Three in Products List)

Judges Guild Stuff:

FIRST PRINT (White) Initial Guidelines Booklet I - VF (Hole punched)

Guide to the City State Book VF

Full set of Four Piece CSIO Maps VF-NM

Campaign Map One Set  NM

I think this might be part of the initial package sent to folks who signed up at the 76 GENCON!

I had bid on and lost a few auctions for the CSIO Book over the years, never quite able to snag a copy.

And I had never even seen a copy of the White Initial Guidelines Booklet I… at least not in person.. … SWEET!

Two three hole binders.

One is plain with nothing but home made maps on grid paper.

The other binder has a seal of University of Northern Iowa on the front.

Mostly filled with Home made stuff…

Xerox Sheets (Most of them from Dragon Magazines), Home brew PC Sheets (They look homebrew anyway), Filled out PC Sheets, Game Notes by the DM, etc.

I WILL be forced to sell a lot more things to make up for this purchase, But I am VERY GLAD I robbed the fund for this lot of items.

Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Last edited by Gnat the Beggar on Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:15 am, edited 2 times in total.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:18 pm 

Great lot, Gnat!

Love those uncharted discoveries. Congrats!

Hector.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:34 pm 

That's a pretty awesome pack of goodies, John.  I was watching that auction, too, but hadn't asked any questions and couldn't tell enough about the contents and quality.  Turns out it was a great deal.  Congrats.   PDT_Armataz_01_34

"Parturient montes, nascetur ridiculus mus."

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:13 am 

bbarsh wrote:
Maybe I have not been paying enough attention, but it is good to see Kat back!  :D

Eh... I'm never gone.  ;)  Sometimes I quietly lurk.  lol   :)  I've posted here and there recently... maybe in oddball spots in the forums, so you likely just didn't catch them.  ;)  I'm kinda the same on Dragonsfoot.  :D

And btw, Gnat the Beggar... nice lot you got there!  :D  I think it was in your favor that the seller didn't do the best job describing everything... or supplying sufficient photos.  If they did, I bet others would have fought you harder for it.  ;)

~Kat  ^_^

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:57 am 

Katchoo wrote:And btw, Gnat the Beggar... nice lot you got there!  :D  I think it was in your favor that the seller didn't do the best job describing everything... or supplying sufficient photos.  If they did, I bet others would have fought you harder for it.  ;)

~Kat  ^_^

No question about it and agree with your insight.

The limited description and the use of 3 of the 4 pictures just for the damaged OD&D Books and Box helped me considerably.
I barely even looked at the three later photos, but gazed at the first one SEVERAL TIMES... trying to see inside those binders, and under the piles...

The seller missed a good chance for more money by not showing/describing crucial details that would have blasted the auction beyond my reach for sure.

Even with the limited information, my gut told me to bid on this one and not to let it go, so I bid bigger than I wanted as soon as I saw and understood what I was looking at (Or thought I understood).
Got outbid at one point, then bid even bigger... and the second bid was enough.  8)

My two favorite items in that lot are:

1st Print Monster Manual: Awesome condition and a sure keeper for me.
Will replace the copy I previously had in my collection (And I thought it was a nice copy).

1st Print (White) Initial Guidelines Booklet I
This was easily the biggest surprise, as it was stashed inside one of the two 3-ring binders and was not mentioned or shown in any of the pictures...
According to our Judges Guild pages, these were only handed out at GenCon 76, and/or to folks who subscribed through that Convention.
I never dreamed I would ever see a copy in person, much less own one.
1st Printing (1976):  White I.  This was sent to those who had subscribed at GenCon '76 and were thus already waiting on their sub... then later destroyed.  Thanks to Mike 'Invincible Overlord' and James Mishler for help with this info

Third favorite item for me is the Guide to the City State.
Not for value ($30...+/-) but for the fact that I had been trying to nab one for a very long time.
 ...  hard to get one.

The first picture showed a lot of nice items.
And from that single shot, the Guide to the City State, the MM, DMG and the Lizard Man M&Ts were the reasons I stuck with this lot.

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:23 am 

Gnat the Beggar wrote:
Judges Guild Stuff:
FIRST PRINT (White) Initial Guidelines Booklet I - VF (Hole punched)
Guide to the City State Book VF
Full set of Four Piece CSIO Maps VF-NM
Campaign Map One Set  NM
I think this might be part of the initial package sent to folks who signed up at the 76 GENCON!

8O

Okay disregard my wondering where you got the picture from for the white Initial Guidelines Booklet (I usually check from the bottom of the forums first).
Check the maps to the site to see what printings you have.  Here is what the Initial package contains.
Well that is now 3 White Initial Guidelines Booklets known.

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:58 am 

Great lot Gnat  PDT_Armataz_01_34

Adventures in Austerion : a fantasy RPG, with boardgame mechanisms and modular battlemap. By Guillaume Tavernier and Géraud G.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:33 am 

Hi Gnat, i was the second bidder on that lot, grats on a great pick-up.

Jorge

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:20 am 

Gnat,

Gratz on the lot.  And, thank you for posting the pics.  I, for one, would not have recognized the JG item if I got it in a lot.  Your enthusiasm is contagious.  We are all lucky you got this lot and knew the relevance.  I probably would have dropped that in a poly bag and filed it without ever knowing how cool it is!  And, I'm probably not t the only one here who would have done that!  Kudos to you!

Pipswich Peddles (and trades) for his collection!  
http://stores.ebay.com/Pipswich-Peddles

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:41 pm 

Pipswich wrote:I probably would have dropped that in a poly bag and filed it without ever knowing how cool it is!  And, I'm probably not t the only one here who would have done that!  Kudos to you!

What? You don't disect each lot you buy and identify every sheet?  I have to say that I am among the "lords of order" and must look at/identify everything - also makes it hard to pitch any bits of crap (but I am seeking help).

Great pickup Gnat!

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:52 pm 

Nice lot, Beggar man. Always fun to buy something and discover it had secrets that far exceed what you expected.

Those who can, don't. Those who should not, do.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:15 pm 

So what's the homebrew mapwork like?

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:20 pm 

I would dissect everything, searching what is what, each print, each maps, each homebrew-like item, as well.
And when I cannot identify something, he waits on my "to identify" stack until I finally find what it is :)

Adventures in Austerion : a fantasy RPG, with boardgame mechanisms and modular battlemap. By Guillaume Tavernier and Géraud G.

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:59 pm 

mbassoc2003 wrote:So what's the homebrew mapwork like?

Convoluted with zero width walls...  :lol:
Not bad actually.
The wilderness terrain map looks neat.
And perhaps the DM notes match the dungeon mapping.
I will need more time to study it all in depth though.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:36 pm 

Gnat the Beggar wrote:Orange colored digest sized sheets (they look like the Reference Sheets for the OD&D Box Sets)

Can you elaborate on this one, John?  Or post a pic/scan?  From your description, this almost sounds like a set of goldenrod Greyhawk reference sheets.  But if so, why they would be with a 5th print whitey is difficult to explain.

Let mirth prevail!

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:59 pm 

I was wondering when you'd chime in on that, Stephen. ;)

"7.3 ORGANIZING THE PARTY: Always have a keg, even if it's BYOB...
7.4 TAKING THE GAME SERIOUSLY: Don't"

PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 78 of 111123 ... 75, 76, 77, 78, 79 ... 109110111