Fun Finds in the Past
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 76 of 111123 ... 73, 74, 75, 76, 77 ... 109110111
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:35 pm 

Mars wrote:They didn't want to ship to Ontario :(  Did you at least buy the basic set for $5 too?

Nice pickup.

For Cdn 5.00, if I still lived in Toronto, I'd make a road trip out of it.  :)

Best regards,
Ronald

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:05 pm 

flyingmelon wrote:A lady on Kijiji was selling this:
[ Image ]
It's a 6th print OCE-in NM.
Do you want to know how much she was asking for it?

Do you?

FIVE CANADIAN DOLLARS

Cheaper than mine and I bought mine off the stands when it was new 8O

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:11 pm 

Nice find.

Martin

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:22 am 

Somebody got a good buy on this if it is actually in the described condition

http://cgi.ebay.com/Original-Dungeons-D ... 43a325aa11

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:30 am 

Blackmoor wrote:Somebody got a good buy on this if it is actually in the described condition

** expired/removed eBay auction **

With their discount sale.  This looked like a good buy and so did the $700 Palace of the Vampire black folder edition.  Tempted but didn't want to deal with the Trolls.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:14 pm 

The WoG looks to be a second print and I get a cool folder.

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:02 am 

I waited until this actually showed up to post it, as I was slightly skeptical and wanted to be sure.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... K:MEWNX:IT

The shrink is indeed split about 50% across the top, but impossible to remove the module without destroying the remaining 50%.  One corner is also poking out of the bottom every so slightly.  The only wear on the entire thing is a tiny bit of whitening on that corner and about an inch across the top area that is split.  Easily NM without the shrink.  I had given up on getting a copy of this in shrink after I saw the last few sell for $250+, so happy day!

Not so sure on this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... K:MEWNX:IT

Its minty, but I only have 1 data point for last seen, over $100.  Probably an outlier?

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:08 am 

stylean wrote:I waited until this actually showed up to post it, as I was slightly skeptical and wanted to be sure.

The shrink is indeed split about 50% across the top, but impossible to remove the module without destroying the remaining 50%.  One corner is also poking out of the bottom every so slightly.  The only wear on the entire thing is a tiny bit of whitening on that corner and about an inch across the top area that is split.  Easily NM without the shrink.  I had given up on getting a copy of this in shrink after I saw the last few sell for $250+, so happy day!

Not so sure on this one:

Its minty, but I only have 1 data point for last seen, over $100.  Probably an outlier?

The ToEE is a good deal, the Outer Planes is an AWESOME deal. First off, you never see that particular module in the shrink. Second, it looks really good and not dinged around. Great catch!

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:53 pm 

Hey everyone,

I wanted to wait until this arrived in Hong Kong before posting it up, and they just arrived today. :)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0708088356

They are in amazing shape, and the best part is that 8 of the issues still have the mailing cover on them too! I noticed that the back of the mailing cover switches from "Thy Dragon hath arrived." to "YOUR DRAGON HATH ARRIVED!" :)

Pity that I lost out on the below though.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0707079696

I'm not sure if it was someone on this board. But whoever won it got a great deal.

Best regards,

Ronald

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 10:27 pm 

My Festivus present took a few days longer to arrive than I expected, but it was worth the wait as the module is in amazing shape.  

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 500wt_1156

Sadly, no retro-shrink came with the module, i.e., no Ziploc, but for the price, I am extremely satisfied and can always upgrade later. :)

Hello Mrs. Cleaver, Theodore.

Gee, Mrs. Cleaver ... That certainly is a lovely dress.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:16 pm 

smarmy1 wrote:My Festivus present took a few days longer to arrive than I expected, but it was worth the wait as the module is in amazing shape.  

Sadly, no retro-shrink came with the module, i.e., no Ziploc, but for the price, I am extremely satisfied and can always upgrade later. :)

Congratulations. An astounding good find!   Lucky son of a... :lol:

Best,

Paul

Even a stopped clock tells the right time twice a day, and for once I'm inclined to believe...we are indeed drifting into the arena of the unwell.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:05 am 

rhynne wrote:Hey everyone,

I wanted to wait until this arrived in Hong Kong before posting it up, and they just arrived today. :)

They are in amazing shape, and the best part is that 8 of the issues still have the mailing cover on them too! I noticed that the back of the mailing cover switches from "Thy Dragon hath arrived." to "YOUR DRAGON HATH ARRIVED!" :)

Pity that I lost out on the below though.

I'm not sure if it was someone on this board. But whoever won it got a great deal.

Best regards,
Ronald

Tell us what we're looking at, rhynne.  :?

What issues of DRAGON did you get?

Also, do you know any of the story behind these copies?  How is it that they're still in their shipping envelopes?  Who left them there and why?

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:03 am 

FormCritic wrote:
Tell us what we're looking at, rhynne.  :?

What issues of DRAGON did you get?

Also, do you know any of the story behind these copies?  How is it that they're still in their shipping envelopes?  Who left them there and why?

Hey FormCritic,

Thanks for the questions. :)

Ok I managed to win issues 16 to 26 for US$56.89

I lost out on issues 8 to 14, and the winner won them for US$107.51

I don't know the story behind these magazines, I am as curious as you are though. :) I thought it was amazing that they still had the shipping envelopes on them as most people would have torn them off and thrown them away.

I did notice that the shipping envelopes were addressed to Tuscon, Arizona, and the Ebay seller is from Carbondale, Colorado.

I'll check with her and see if I can find anything else out.

Best regards,
Ronald

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 12:12 pm 

rhynne wrote:
Hey FormCritic,

Thanks for the questions. :)

Ok I managed to win issues 16 to 26 for US$56.89

I lost out on issues 8 to 14, and the winner won them for US$107.51

I don't know the story behind these magazines, I am as curious as you are though. :) I thought it was amazing that they still had the shipping envelopes on them as most people would have torn them off and thrown them away.

I did notice that the shipping envelopes were addressed to Tuscon, Arizona, and the Ebay seller is from Carbondale, Colorado.

I'll check with her and see if I can find anything else out.

Best regards,
Ronald

Total shot in the dark here, but there were a lot of people that worked for IBM in Colorado and Arizona back in the mid 70's to 80's. The seller could be the same person/family that bought them originally, and then they could have just been relocated to different facilities between those states. Things get boxed up, put away, stored and subsequently "lost"

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:45 am 

Christmas holiday family trip today.  We went to the Uwajimaya Village store in Seattle's International District.  Then we hit Half Price Books on Capitol Hill, University District, Tukwilla and Tacoma on our way home.

On a single rack in the U-District HPB I found DUNGEON magazines 32, 83, 86, 88, 90, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 101, 102, 103 and 117 all for $1.00 each.  A 20% sale price cut that down to $0.80 each.

At the Capitol Hill HPB store my wife handed me a module and said, "What about this?"  It was the 4th Edition Village of Hommlet for $7.48....and then the 20% discount.

Oh, and my wife is hot.

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:28 am 

FormCritic wrote:Christmas holiday family trip today.  We went to the Uwajimaya Village store in Seattle's International District.  Then we hit Half Price Books on Capitol Hill, University District, Tukwilla and Tacoma on our way home.

On a single rack in the U-District HPB I found DUNGEON magazines 32, 83, 86, 88, 90, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 101, 102, 103 and 117 all for $1.00 each.  A 20% sale price cut that down to $0.80 each.

At the Capitol Hill HPB store my wife handed me a module and said, "What about this?"  It was the 4th Edition Village of Hommlet for $7.48....and then the 20% discount.

Oh, and my wife is hot.

Heck, she can look like Rosie ODonnell on acid and you still can't beat that deal......!

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:45 pm 

misterspock wrote:
Total shot in the dark here, but there were a lot of people that worked for IBM in Colorado and Arizona back in the mid 70's to 80's. The seller could be the same person/family that bought them originally, and then they could have just been relocated to different facilities between those states. Things get boxed up, put away, stored and subsequently "lost"

Hello everybody,

Interesting guess misterspock.
I got the official answer today from the seller. :)

"Jeff Thoenes is my nephew and a principal in a secondary school. He has had those Dragon magazines stored all this time and carried them to several states during his career changes. He said, "I don't want to haul them around any more--please take them off my hands." He also gave me two boxes of D & D characters which his brother retrieved from my car--he didn't want to part with them although Jeff didn't want them. These guys are in their 40's & 50's. Crazy. This happened at Thanksgiving. Anyway those mags. have lived in at least 5 states. Thx for taking them off my hands! "

Mystery solved. :)

Best regards,
Ronald

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 9:54 am 

smarmy1 wrote:My Festivus present took a few days longer to arrive than I expected, but it was worth the wait as the module is in amazing shape.  

Ah, a Festivus Miracle!

Congrats, Ryan.  I was wondering who had been the winning bidder.  Glad to hear it arrived safe and sound.

"Parturient montes, nascetur ridiculus mus."

PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 76 of 111123 ... 73, 74, 75, 76, 77 ... 109110111