Fun Finds in the Past
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 68 of 111123 ... 65, 66, 67, 68, 69 ... 109110111
Author

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:28 am 

misterspock wrote:
If you look towards the bottom on that photo (it's not completely easy to see), the wizard logo is covering the foot. That's a sure-fire giveaway of a 1st print, beyond the larger lettering in the yellow band. Usually the "ADVANCED D&D" lettering is cropped off a bit (which is another tell-tale sign), but I have a copy where it's more centered.

Yup, I have been aware of the wizard/foot thing for a long time, but never told anyone.
I am sure that it is written down someplace anyway.
Makes it easier to spot a 1st print DMG that has the D still on the front cover.
I usually send the seller additional questions at that point to confirm.
I have had at least two copies of the 1st Print DMG on which the D was not off the front cover and was able to spot them using the Wizard/Foot tell.

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 9:42 am 

Not sure how I missed this but $777 seems like a good deal, even for the semi-crushed box.

** expired/removed eBay auction **

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 11:34 am 

My DM in my campaign knows I collect OD&D products.  So he just gave me (free!) the Avalon Hill game "Outdoor Survival" which is referenced in the OD&D books.

It's really in pristine shape, un-cut, etc.  All the pamphlets and such are in the box.

Anyway - that was a very nice gesture from Jim!

I'm not sure where to keep it in my collection, since it's not really D&D!  But it's kind of nifty.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 12:14 pm 

gvaughn1 wrote:My DM in my campaign knows I collect OD&D products.  So he just gave me (free!) the Avalon Hill game "Outdoor Survival" which is referenced in the OD&D books.

It's really in pristine shape, un-cut, etc.  All the pamphlets and such are in the box.

I'm not sure where to keep it in my collection, since it's not really D&D!  But it's kind of nifty.

Wow! Buy that man a case of his favorite beer.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 4:38 pm 

Doug Williams wrote:
Wow! Buy that man a case of his favorite beer.

only one case?!  :lol:

Are we nearly there yet?

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 3:24 am 

gvaughn1 wrote:the Avalon Hill game "Outdoor Survival" which is referenced in the OD&D books.

This is one of my very favorite OD&D items. I believe there is more to it (in relation to early D&D) than is currently recognized. Namely, I believe that the board was considered a specific place in the early campaign worlds, which evolved into the middle of the Greyhawk map.

Gygax described it later as only an abstraction, meant to represent random bits of wilderness unknown to the players. If my theory is true, I don't think an author in a similar situation would be inclined to fess up, since it would raise unwanted questions of derivative copyright.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:41 pm 

While this is no great bargain, I've been wanting this Night Below set for some time.  I kept losing out to snipers until this auction.

While $19.99 isn't a steal, it does feature free shipping, and the set was in excellent shape.  I look forward to reading it.  I hear it's better than average.   8)

Truth is worth finding and life is too short to work for money.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:36 pm 

gvaughn1 wrote:My DM in my campaign knows I collect OD&D products.  So he just gave me (free!) the Avalon Hill game "Outdoor Survival" which is referenced in the OD&D books.

We played the hell out of Outdoor Survival way back in the day. Very fun.

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 6:06 pm 

Well, I guess that it's a comment on the state of the 3.5 secondary market theses days as well as a "fun find", but I was at my local Farmer's Flea Market and found  a MINT 3.5 PHB for 15 Cdn dollars!
Needless to say I was well pleased!

If you believe that ADVANCED DUNGEONS AND DRAGONS is a game worth playing, you will certainly find it doubly so if you play well.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 4:13 am 

Fun finds for the weekend:

KOBOLD QUARTERLY issues:  $0.98

Gary Gygax's Necropolis:  $14.94

Rappan Athuk III:  $7.95

DUNGEON magazines:  $0.98

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 4:30 pm 

Is this the right place to post this?
After all, it was recent and it was a fun find :-)

I just bought World of Greyhawk (no box; 4th printing, maybe) at a used bookstore for $10.

"Never let it be said I didn’t do the least I could do."

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 6:43 pm 

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... AQ:US:1123

And except for a couple of very small tears, almost as minty fresh as the one I got at Gencon last year...

RPG’s, D&D in particular has had a major influence in my life. It’s bonded me together with life long friends...it’s that bond in life not just as friends, but in our jokes, our mannerisms, and what we find funny. Invincible Overlord

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:26 pm 

Invincible Overlord wrote:

And except for a couple of very small tears, almost as minty fresh as the one I got at Gencon last year...

See, I told you they were available for less!

Areas of interest/knowledge: Harn, WFRP, Ars Magica, anything BRP based such as CoC, Runequest, Pendragon and all their related games

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:55 am 

Invincible Overlord wrote:

F**K. I completely lost track of this auction. Nice steal, IO.   :D

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 12:58 pm 

Yeah, I was watching it too, and it slipped past me because I was busy with something else.  I was ticked when i saw how cheap it went.  Congratulations, Andrew.

Rabbit_67

Kill something, it will make you feel better.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:26 am 

Won a first print D1 on eBay. Received it today and was very pleasantly surprised to find it is in VF+ (almost NM) condition. Asked the seller to take care in packing it, and she sent it in a box with packing peanuts. It pays to communicate with the seller.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 12:10 pm 

Doug Williams wrote:Won a first print D1 on eBay. Received it today and was very pleasantly surprised to find it is in VF+ (almost NM) condition. Asked the seller to take care in packing it, and she sent it in a box with packing peanuts. It pays to communicate with the seller.

Sorry I drove the price up on that one for you.... sort of.   :evil:

Areas of interest/knowledge: Harn, WFRP, Ars Magica, anything BRP based such as CoC, Runequest, Pendragon and all their related games

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 2:00 pm 

TheHistorian wrote:
Sorry I drove the price up on that one for you.... sort of.   :evil:

It's all good. Yea, I paid a premium, but hopefully I won't be buying another D1 in my lifetime.  :D

PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 68 of 111123 ... 65, 66, 67, 68, 69 ... 109110111