Fun Finds in the Past
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 67 of 111123 ... 64, 65, 66, 67, 68 ... 109110111
Author

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:57 pm 

Mars wrote:I'm sure you'll get a tidy profit on the resell.  Though maybe not as good as on the X10 for $9:

** expired/removed eBay auction **

I'm sure you sent a nice kickback to the seller you stole it from when you resold it for 10 times:

Funny, you falsely accuse me of trying to rip people off by buying low and selling high but there you are up to your head in it.  Can't stand hypocrites.

Jeez, I shouldnt respond to this...

The difference is I didnt tell anyone that the X10 was only worth $9, actually everything I've bought on ebay has either been at a price set by the seller or an auction win.

What you do is tell some poor guy that his item is only worth X dollars so you can scam it from him. I do treasure hunt, I don't misrepresent value like you do. I can't stand hypocrits either and frankly the more I find out about you the more you make me sick.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:37 pm 

JasonZavoda wrote:The difference is I didnt tell anyone that the X10 was only worth $9,

I see your point.  You didn't tell him you were stealing it from him.  Ignorance must be bliss.

JasonZavoda wrote:I do treasure hunt, I don't misrepresent value like you do.

Ya, no misrepresented values on your side - Castle Zagyg for $275 :roll:   Has one ever sold for this much?  A current valuation would put it at about $150.  That's only a gouge factor of $125.

JasonZavoda wrote:What you do is tell some poor guy that his item is only worth X dollars so you can scam it from him.

I've already addressed how I do business.   But I wouldn't expect someone like you to understand it.

JasonZavoda wrote:and frankly the more I find out about you the more you make me sick.

I'm sure it does.  The concept of selling something for someone else without even taking a cut must be completely foreign to you.  I'm sure it keeps you up at night tossing and turning "where's the profit in that? ... steal it and resell it ...".

Haven't seen you list Phantasy Conclave yet.  I guess no putting your money where your mouth is on that valuation either.  Lots of talk but it all seems like a big steamy pile of ....  I'm sure you know what.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:02 pm 

I was asked to post photos of my recent acquisition, so here are a couple:

Those who can, don't. Those who should not, do.

Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:06 pm 

Nice!

:)~~~

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:47 pm 

serleran wrote:I was asked to post photos of my recent acquisition, so here are a couple:

[ Image ]

[ Image ]

No ones name written in magic marker on the box lid? That is remarkable. These books look great.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:00 pm 

No names anywhere. It was described by the reputable seller as Box: Very Good (because of some spine wear and a scuff on the box lid cover) and the books as Near Mint. I'd have to say that is pretty accurate, but would classify the books as Awesome. ;)

I am exceedingly pleased with this purchase and happy to close one more chapter on the collection / museum effort.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:35 pm 

It still boggles my mind that these things once sold for $10. If I were old enough to have cared in 1974 (I was 7), this would have only been a couple weeks of housechores. Now, it would take almost 5 weeks of what I used to make for a 40-hour-a-week salary.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:44 pm 

I wish I'd have been born when these were made and then I might've been able to get 'em on the cheap -- this one out-ages me by about a full year, seeing as it was released in January of '75 and I didn't happen until December of that year.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:46 pm 

Didn't even have to be 1974 although I must admit 1977 was probably a bit of a push here; choice of woodgrain (had presumed second-hand, although I suppose it could just have been kicking around the basement) vs. white. Woodgrain looked better, I thought...

I recognise that copy, serl': nice one. :)
(Could've sworn you confirmed your budget was closed for recuperation, though! ;) Kudos to the missus, too.)

"7.3 ORGANIZING THE PARTY: Always have a keg, even if it's BYOB...
7.4 TAKING THE GAME SERIOUSLY: Don't"

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:59 pm 

Thanks. The budget was closed, until my wife re-opened it. No idea what I did, but whatever it was, it must have been amazing. Now, however, there is 0 chance of it being back for a long time. Have to take care of the puppy we're getting tomorrow.

And, I agree... the woodgrain looks so much nicer than the white box, but its not bad having both. :)

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:06 pm 

Might be an idea to invest those last few dollars on a puppy-proof padlock? Have fun! ^^
(And take up the lottery, perhaps?)

> And, I agree... the woodgrain looks so much nicer than the white box, but its not bad having both. :)

Is true, that. Well, with the possible exception of that one woodgrain box which was more masking(?IIRC) tape than woodgrain? (I'll hide from John H. if he's reading this! ;))

"7.3 ORGANIZING THE PARTY: Always have a keg, even if it's BYOB...
7.4 TAKING THE GAME SERIOUSLY: Don't"

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:26 pm 

Grats on a great item there! I wish you could remember what you did that was so amazing. I would give it a try! ;-)

Though I never had the opportunity to buy a new Woodgrain, I'm old enough to remember seeing the white boxes on the D&D spinner rack at my local book store, though I never purchased one because they didn't look nearly as cool as the colorful AD&D hardbacks and modules that were out at the time. :-(  So, I had to buy one decades later and for a lot more money.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 1:23 pm 

Hi,

just found:

3.5 deluxe players handbooks x 2
3.5 deluxe monster manual
3.5 deluxe dmg

dragonlance chronicles deluxe novel

planescape minis

under the coffee table, covered in dust but all in shrink.

Guess the books were put there 3 or 4 years ago when they were bought, and then forgotten about :)

Cheers,
Malc

I have a plan so cunning, you could put a tail on it and call it a weasel.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:31 pm 

The cover has some wear, sure, but overall I'm really happy with this 1st DMG - the interior is excellent (not even a name inside the cover).

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0410932628

And while everyone was at NTRPG, I was scouring ebay.  I would have been happy that just the last couple Polyhedrons I needed were in this lot, but the bonus in picture eight is a nice addition!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0125785161

Areas of interest/knowledge: Harn, WFRP, Ars Magica, anything BRP based such as CoC, Runequest, Pendragon and all their related games

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:16 pm 

TheHistorian wrote:The cover has some wear, sure, but overall I'm really happy with this 1st DMG - the interior is excellent (not even a name inside the cover).

And while everyone was at NTRPG, I was scouring ebay.  I would have been happy that just the last couple Polyhedrons I needed were in this lot, but the bonus in picture eight is a nice addition!

Awesome deal on those polys.

Jealosy sets in .... :(

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:00 pm 

The cover has some wear, sure, but overall I'm really happy with this 1st DMG - the interior is excellent (not even a name inside the cover).

How did you find out that this was a 1st print?

If you believe that ADVANCED DUNGEONS AND DRAGONS is a game worth playing, you will certainly find it doubly so if you play well.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:21 pm 

flyingmelon wrote:How did you find out that this was a 1st print?

If you look towards the bottom on that photo (it's not completely easy to see), the wizard logo is covering the foot. That's a sure-fire giveaway of a 1st print, beyond the larger lettering in the yellow band. Usually the "ADVANCED D&D" lettering is cropped off a bit (which is another tell-tale sign), but I have a copy where it's more centered.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:00 am 

misterspock wrote:
If you look towards the bottom on that photo (it's not completely easy to see), the wizard logo is covering the foot. That's a sure-fire giveaway of a 1st print, beyond the larger lettering in the yellow band. Usually the "ADVANCED D&D" lettering is cropped off a bit (which is another tell-tale sign), but I have a copy where it's more centered.

Yeah, I spotted the cropped D.  There are some 1st prints that don't have the problem, but I don't think there are any that have the cropping that are anything else but a 1st.

The DMG and MM are easy to spot from the cover, PHBs you have to see inside.  This DMG finished my set of 1st prints!

Areas of interest/knowledge: Harn, WFRP, Ars Magica, anything BRP based such as CoC, Runequest, Pendragon and all their related games

PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 67 of 111123 ... 64, 65, 66, 67, 68 ... 109110111