Fun Finds in the Past
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 63 of 111123 ... 60, 61, 62, 63, 64 ... 109110111
Author

** Banned **

Post Posted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:56 pm 

FormCritic wrote:A number of gamers feel an especially strong emotional attachment to the 144 page Deities and Demigods, either because it represents the last item of the best old times or because they got ripped off back then.

Additionally, as in my own case, the original version of the book clued in younger gamers that the works of Lovecraft, Moorcock, and Leiber (though the Nehwon mythos was never cut) might be cool to read. Sure, Gygax listed all three authors in Appendix N of the DMG as recommended reading, but the Otus, Dee, and Jacquays illustrations (respectively) really packed a punch and made the authors attractive. I had only read Tolkien prior to picking up AD&D, so this was quite a revelation. That's why, even as sucky as the DDG actually is as a gaming supplement, it will always hold a special place in my heart and on my shelf.

Ithaca Dragon
-==(UDIC)==-

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 6:04 pm 

Picked up a box of stuff from a guy in southern Alberta-he didn't tell me what was in the collection but he was willing to drop it off in Calgary for me. I was very pleased with what I got-especially the last three modules and the mono ones! If only there were no price stickers...

If you believe that ADVANCED DUNGEONS AND DRAGONS is a game worth playing, you will certainly find it doubly so if you play well.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 6:34 pm 

Those look like the sort of price stickers that may come off easily.

Nice find.  I'm jealous of the D1 mono!

Areas of interest/knowledge: Harn, WFRP, Ars Magica, anything BRP based such as CoC, Runequest, Pendragon and all their related games

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 6:48 pm 

TheHistorian wrote:Those look like the sort of price stickers that may come off easily.

Nice find.  I'm jealous of the D1 mono!

Sadly, they are not-I tried with another module-not the monos and it felt like the scene in "Alien" where they try to remove the facehugger from John Hurt's character-you know the feeling you get when you want to remove something harmful, but will kill the subject if you do so?
Other than the stickers-though, they are in great shape.

If you believe that ADVANCED DUNGEONS AND DRAGONS is a game worth playing, you will certainly find it doubly so if you play well.

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 6:56 pm 

Nice Judges Guild items, Dark Tower and Caverns of Thracia especially.

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:11 am 

FormCritic wrote:
Stafford says that TSR's new president (the woman...can't recall her name) said that they wanted to avoid outraging that nebulous group known as The Religious Right.  (A complete mis-understanding of what might actually outrage that particular group.  Given that person's general lack of understanding about gaming and gamers, the explanation sounds true..

I believe you're refering to Lorraine Williams.  Okay, now I feel dirty.  I think I'll go take a shower.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 3:44 pm 

nyjastul69 wrote:I believe you're refering to Lorraine Williams.  Okay, now I feel dirty.  I think I'll go take a shower.

I don't think the timelines match to make it an accurate assumption that Williams was responsible.  Didn't Williams join TSR well after the switch in the DDG?  I think TSR was simply playing it safe legally by taking out the Cthulhu and Melnibone mythoi.  From TSR legal department's point of view, Chaosium could say it was okay at the time and then change its mind at a future point and sue for copyright and licensing infringement.

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 3:55 pm 

IIRC The Blume Brother's and EGG were still the guys at the helm of TSR when the Chaosium debacle was concluded and the DDG book was revised.

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:31 pm 

mandalaymoon wrote:
I don't think the timelines match to make it an accurate assumption that Williams was responsible.  Didn't Williams join TSR well after the switch in the DDG?  I think TSR was simply playing it safe legally by taking out the Cthulhu and Melnibone mythoi.  From TSR legal department's point of view, Chaosium could say it was okay at the time and then change its mind at a future point and sue for copyright and licensing infringement.

I was just working of old memory coupled with incomplete information.  She was the only female that I'm aware of that 'presided/was in charge of' TSR.  I've also heard the Blumes kinda ran amok with the co. and eventually sold their stocks to her thereby giving her controlling shares which is what basically pushed Gygax to sell his shares, as he no longer had controlling shares.  I'm thinking this is '84-'86, mebbe earlier.  The time line doesn't match perfectly, but it's in the ball park.  That's the only reason I cited her as a possibility.  If anyone has better info I'd very much like to know.  I've googled Gygax and some of the other people in the industry, but never LW.  I've also heard  her 'in' was that she was heiress to the Buck Rogers legacy.   My google fu is weak, but I must now check when I get the chance.

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:45 pm 

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... K:MEWNX:IT

Books #1 - 4 of the TSR Heart Quest series which I had never even heard of before. These are right out of some Knights of the Dinner Table Hard 8 publication farce. TSR in the early 80's was one wacky place.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:52 pm 

JasonZavoda wrote:
** expired/removed eBay auction **

Books #1 - 4 of the TSR Heart Quest series which I had never even heard of before. These are right out of some Knights of the Dinner Table Hard 8 publication farce. TSR in the early 80's was one wacky place.

This at least was an attempt to swoon the female audience into D&D.  Besides they have pretty covers.  Kitdude has been selling TSR books like this for years now.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:55 pm 

Hi,

picked up some of the Planescape Gencon tin badges.

Says 1994 on them.

Cheers,
Malc

I have a plan so cunning, you could put a tail on it and call it a weasel.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:05 pm 

lawrenson wrote:Hi,

picked up some of the Planescape Gencon tin badges.

Says 1994 on them.

Cheers,
Malc

The pewter ones? That look like this:

** expired/removed eBay auction **

I think all of those pewter items made in the UK are 1994.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:34 pm 

Hiya,

no, the round tin ones. Scarce in the UK (don't know about the USA).

http://www.acaeum.com/ps/promos/tinpins.html

Cheers,
Malc

I have a plan so cunning, you could put a tail on it and call it a weasel.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:50 pm 

lawrenson wrote:no, the round tin ones. Scarce in the UK (don't know about the USA).

Okay.  I think they are scarce everywhere.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:08 pm 

I recently sold off a few TSR pewter pieces but also recently found that I had a few more than I thought I did.  I like rediscovering things I bought but forgot I had - its easier on the budget.

Here's a link to a higher resolution image:

http://www.cs.uwaterloo.ca/~mdtpetri/ac ... pewter.jpg

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:58 pm 

Mars wrote:I recently sold off a few TSR pewter pieces but also recently found that I had a few more than I thought I did.  I like rediscovering things I bought but forgot I had - its easier on the budget.

First off thanks for posting the high res. picture.
Very nice bit of metal you have there.

Second; I have a request... or two.

Can you flip the LOP Buckles over and offer up a high resolution picture of the reverse side of those items?
Is that Strahd?
Perhaps reverse images of all the larger buckles?

Here is why I asked...

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:47 pm 

Picked these up yesterday from a guy-very happy to get all three for 50.00 bucks total! The box sets are complete.

PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 63 of 111123 ... 60, 61, 62, 63, 64 ... 109110111