Fun Finds in the Past
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 62 of 111123 ... 59, 60, 61, 62, 63 ... 109110111
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:43 pm 

I haven't seen one of these before.  The plates were not registered properly so the colors do not line up.  It is a first print.  Have others turned up?  

And, I loved the price!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... K:MEWNX:IT

Pipswich Peddles (and trades) for his collection!  
http://stores.ebay.com/Pipswich-Peddles

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:49 pm 

Pipswich wrote:I haven't seen one of these before.  The plates were not registered properly so the colors do not line up.  It is a first print.  Have others turned up?  

And, I loved the price!

** expired/removed eBay auction **

Same book, or another like it was on E-Bay in a regular auction about a month ago.

I had it bid up to something like $25... But I think I lost. :lol:

Looking at it, I think it is the same book.

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:24 pm 

So maybe... this one turned up twice and you missed a quick profit there!

Anyone seen another?

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:08 pm 

Pipswich wrote:So maybe... this one turned up twice and you missed a quick profit there!

Anyone seen another?

I have seen at least one of these before now.  This may be a more common problem than the seller indicates.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:10 pm 

I see one of those every few months, though it is always the same one.

Those who can, don't. Those who should not, do.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:37 pm 

I will  watch more carefully for another.  Although technically not a separate printing, it does beg the question of which version came first, etc.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:29 pm 

Pipswich wrote:I haven't seen one of these before.  The plates were not registered properly so the colors do not line up.  It is a first print.  Have others turned up?  

And, I loved the price!

** expired/removed eBay auction **

I have a 1st printing that also has the poorly lined-up colors, but this one looks a bit more "blurry" than mine is.

~Kat  ^_^

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:38 pm 

The green and red are off almost exactly 2mm for anyone who cares.   The blur may be the photo.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:56 pm 

Pipswich wrote:I will  watch more carefully for another.  Although technically not a separate printing, it does beg the question of which version came first, etc.

There's no 'technically' about it. It's not a different print. All multi-color print jobs I have seen have this happen. For a job like this at the time, each piece of paper would have gone through the press 4 times, once for each color of the standard CMYK inks (Cyan, Magenta, Yellow, Black). All sheets get run through for one color, then all sheets again for the next, etc. No red or green, etc. unless a special job was being done where they would have to clean out the press to put 'spot' inks in.

Usually, this happens at the beginning of the run until the pressman gets the registration aligned, but plates or something could slip anytime. That's why they put extra paper in before the run, because there will be some errors which get dumpsterfied.

Someone done a bad job of quality control is all. Tsk! Tsk!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:16 am 

Great explanation!  I don't know how to measure the CMYB though.  It just looks red or green to me once printed!  So simply error versions of the first print that shouldn't have been sold.  Still fun to have both versions for a completist type collector.

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:05 am 

Pipswich wrote:Great explanation!  I don't know how to measure the CMYB though.  It just looks red or green to me once printed!  So simply error versions of the first print that shouldn't have been sold.  Still fun to have both versions for a completist type collector.

Agree, but (IMO) Not worth a premium to the already HIGHLY inflated price of the normal First Print books.
And as stated above, I had a bid on one a month back, but was not overly surprised, nor dissapointed that my bid was not enough.
Never have understood the HUGE price the banned DDG books sell for, even though I have taken advantage of that on a couple of occasions after buying large lots with one in them.
There were TWO prints of it and no less than 10,000 copies were sent out with little or no effort to get those returned for destruction.
I think I have seen at least half those for sale at one time or another on E-Bay over the past 8 years or so.

Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:48 am 

Gnat the Beggar wrote:Never have understood the HUGE price the banned DDG books sell for, even though I have taken advantage of that on a couple of occasions after buying large lots with one in them.

It's reputation.  Ever old school gamer knows about the "rare" DDG with Cthulhu and Elric.  That it's not really all that rare doesn't matter.

Areas of interest/knowledge: Harn, WFRP, Ars Magica, anything BRP based such as CoC, Runequest, Pendragon and all their related games

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:06 am 

All collectors are a bit nuts.  But, what makes more sense... that a lot of people every year like a useful product with a cool story to tell their friends for $40-125 or that 10-30 people like some mediocre modules enough to pay 900-2600 for some of them.  You can never really make sense of values, just learn what they might be from experience and get constantly surprised.  jmho

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:34 am 

Pipswich wrote:All collectors are a bit nuts.  But, what makes more sense... that a lot of people every year like a useful product with a cool story to tell their friends for $40-125 or that 10-30 people like some mediocre modules enough to pay 900-2600 for some of them.  You can never really make sense of values, just learn what they might be from experience and get constantly surprised.  jmho

All good points. 8)

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:38 pm 

Pipswich wrote:Great explanation!  I don't know how to measure the CMYB though.  It just looks red or green to me once printed!  So simply error versions of the first print that shouldn't have been sold.  Still fun to have both versions for a completist type collector.

The beauty of translucent inks and angled dot patterns. You can get a great number of apparent colors from combinations of 4 basic ones. You just can't get very bright 'neon'-ish stuff with them.

Can't tell from the photo, but if two colors are off, it means someone would have had to miss it twice before they stuck it on the cover board. And even then, it goes through the process of having the endpapers stuck on, and being bound to the rest of the book. It makes me wonder how much was mechanized, and how often a live person looked at the product before being shipped.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:15 am 

[quote="Gnat the Beggar"]There were TWO prints of it and no less than 10,000 copies were sent out with little or no effort to get those returned for destruction.[quote]

There was no effort to destroy the first two prints because Chaosium did not actually care about the licensing infringement.

According to Greg Stafford, founder of Chaosium, their company merely pointed out the violation of Chaosium's license.  They actually gave TSR permission to continue printing Deities and Demigods with the Cthulhu and Melnibone sections, which could really only benefit Chaosium's own Call of Cthulhu RPG.  They were quite surprised when the next printing did not include them.

Stafford says that TSR's new president (the woman...can't recall her name) said that they wanted to avoid outraging that nebulous group known as The Religious Right.  (A complete mis-understanding of what might actually outrage that particular group.  Given that person's general lack of understanding about gaming and gamers, the explanation sounds true.)

The switch was accomplished without informing consumers...many of whom bought new books without realizing that the most interesting and useful material had been expunged.  The page count dropped from 128 to 144 and the unwary got ripped off.

A number of gamers feel an especially strong emotional attachment to the 144 page Deities and Demigods, either because it represents the last item of the best old times or because they got ripped off back then.

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

** Banned **

Post Posted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:56 pm 

FormCritic wrote:A number of gamers feel an especially strong emotional attachment to the 144 page Deities and Demigods, either because it represents the last item of the best old times or because they got ripped off back then.

Additionally, as in my own case, the original version of the book clued in younger gamers that the works of Lovecraft, Moorcock, and Leiber (though the Nehwon mythos was never cut) might be cool to read. Sure, Gygax listed all three authors in Appendix N of the DMG as recommended reading, but the Otus, Dee, and Jacquays illustrations (respectively) really packed a punch and made the authors attractive. I had only read Tolkien prior to picking up AD&D, so this was quite a revelation. That's why, even as sucky as the DDG actually is as a gaming supplement, it will always hold a special place in my heart and on my shelf.

Ithaca Dragon
-==(UDIC)==-

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 6:04 pm 

Picked up a box of stuff from a guy in southern Alberta-he didn't tell me what was in the collection but he was willing to drop it off in Calgary for me. I was very pleased with what I got-especially the last three modules and the mono ones! If only there were no price stickers...

If you believe that ADVANCED DUNGEONS AND DRAGONS is a game worth playing, you will certainly find it doubly so if you play well.

PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 62 of 111123 ... 59, 60, 61, 62, 63 ... 109110111