How Green is your PHB?
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 8:53 am 

Man in the moon logo?

"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats."
--H.L. Mencken

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 11:40 am 

MShipley88 wrote:There is a book that claims to be a wizard logo 6th print, January 1980 Players' Handbook in the lot.

This is not new, unless I've missed your point completely.  As per the Acaeum listing, the 6th through 10th printings (and there is more than one 10th variant, if memory serves correctly) all claim to be the 6th printing.  Copyright pages are not to be trusted. ;)

Assuming the Acaeum listing is undeniably, unerringly accurate, which printing do you have?  :D

Quick Check:

6th = orange endpapers, wizard
7th = white endpapers, wizard
8th = white, face logo
9th = white, angled TSR logo
10th = Easley cover, angled TSR logo (at least three variants)
11th = states 11th.  

And so you see the problem.  The 6th states it's the 6th.  The 11th states it's the 11th.  Everything else needs to be sandwiched between these two or it'll really get confusing.  

The listed printings as detailed above allow for the major differences to be noted; variants absolutely exist within those guidelines.  Don't take the word "printing" too literally; we're using it more in the sense of "class".

I swear, this book looks totally different from my other wizard logo 6th print

It's unfortunate that we're working with the 6th printing because of all the confusion it brings.  Getting into fine-grain taxonomy, if you've got two books that fit in the same printing, but are not identical, you're looking at two variants within the printing.

Some generic things I try to compare across variants:  

1.  ISBN - (back cover, spine, copyright page)
2.  Spine - (everything)
3.  Catalog page (look at everything, particularly prices)
4.  Copyright page (look at everything)
5.  Use of TM vs. (R) - (Front cover, copyright page, catalog page, spine)

Colors/inks/paper/texture variants are much tougher to confirm than printing variants, because they're more subtle/subjective.  Try to find a textual difference if you can.

N.B. While I find this stuff fascinating, it's unlikely to make the Acaeum PHB page -- minor variants just add to the already confusing chronology.

Last edited by deimos3428 on Thu Dec 28, 2006 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
 YIM  

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 12:17 pm 

Man in the moon logo?

More commonly called the tsr face logo, see->

http://acaeum.com/library/logos.html

Mike

Therapy-level collector

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 12:43 pm 

grodog wrote:
...as opposed to my mutant? :D  (Sorry, couldn't resist!).

Somebody got the reference!  :D  That article was in Best of Dragon Vol 1, I believe.

YIM  

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 1:27 pm 

Here is a quick look through the different 6th printings wizard logos that I have.

Sixth matches the current acaeum description:

Wizard logo
Cover art is of two thieves prying the gems out of a large demon idol
"Advanced D&D" is in a yellow angled banner on top left, with "Players Handbook" (in yellow lettering) centered towards the top
ISBN now on spine
Endpapers and flyleaves are orange
States "6th Printing, January 1980" on copyright page

Sixth plus (+) matches the current 7th print description:

Wizard logo
Cover art is of two thieves prying the gems out of a large demon idol
"Advanced D&D" is in a yellow angled banner on top left, with "Players Handbook" (in yellow lettering) centered towards the top
ISBN on spine
Endpapers and flyleaves are white
Still states "6th Printing, January 1980" on copyright page

Seventh print (new) matches the 7th above with these differences:

-page 127 is now numbered
-page 127 has the newer catalog. Modules up to A1-A4 are listed and B1,B2 are listed on next page.
-pages 123-124 and pages 125-126 still state (these pages are perforated for easy removal if desired).

Seventh plus (+) matches the (new) 7th print above except:

-pages 123-124 and pages 125-126 no longer have the "perforated for easy removal" statement.
**the "tall" book I have matches this description**

That is a quick run down of the differences I see. As far as height, width, color, texture I agree with Deimos. The differences above are textual and obvious once you see them.

Any more variant 6th print wizard logo PHBs out there?  :lol:

Mike

Therapy-level collector

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 3:08 pm 

deimos3428 wrote:Somebody got the reference!  :D  That article was in Best of Dragon Vol 1, I believe.

Oooh, what do I win? :D :D  (Article originally appeared in TD#5, FYI).

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 4:05 pm 

chromaticknight wrote:Here is a quick look through the different 6th printings wizard logos that I have.

Sixth matches the current acaeum description:

Sixth plus (+) matches the current 7th print description:

Seventh print (new) matches the 7th with these differences:

-page 127 is now numbered
-page 127 has the newer catalog. Modules up to A1-A4 are listed and B1,B2 are listed on next page.
-pages 123-124 and pages 125-126 still state (these pages are perforated for easy removal if desired).

Seventh plus (+) matches the (new) 7th print above except:

-pages 123-124 and pages 125-126 no longer have the "perforated for easy removal" statement.
**the "tall" book I have matches this description**

That is a quick run down of the differences I see. As far as height, width, color, texture I agree with Deimos. The differences above are textual and obvious once you see them.

Any more variant 6th print wizard logo PHBs out there?  :lol:

Mike

8O

Okay, I have what I believe (by Acaeum standards) is a PHB 7th and 8th (The product lists match), but I was given what was told to me to be a 6th print that also has the same product list (which I'm guessing is not true now..)
So would it be possible to get the 6th print product list (and is the 6th+ product list like the 6th?)

*wants to pull hair out*

Actually though, this does help since I was wondering why the Jan 1980 6th would have A1-4 when that shouldn't be till 81 (course A1 is 1980).
Side note: my 7th & 8th have the same product list as my Monster Manual 5th. (please don't tell me thee is any variants for that :wink: )

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Previous