OT: High postal costs from UK
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 4:02 pm 

i recently purchased a book from the UK (link below).  the invoice sent to me said GBP 40.00.  ok, heavy book, understandable, i guess.  i'd heard the prices where going up for s/h from the UK.  i still haven't received the book, but got a message today from the seller:

Sorry for the delay in sending the book out. I have had some problems with the post office. Basically, the book is too heavy to send via normal post, and will have to be couriered to you. This means the postage will cost, in total £65, meaning that I need another £25 from you to cover the postage costs. Sorry for the confusion, but now that I have recieved a definite answer from the post office, I will get the book out asap.

what do the member's here from the UK think, is this reasonable?  i already paid GBP 80.00 for the book, plus the original 40.00 shipping.  is it really that much to ship something over to the U.S.?

LINK:  
** expired eBay auction **

-dave

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 4:23 pm 

Hi,

what does it weigh?

The best way is probably parcel post - but it really depends on the weight.

http://www.parcelforce.com/portal/pw

I wouldnt have thought you need a courier.

Cheers,
Malcolm

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 4:25 pm 

Well, if you want my opinion, 40 GDP seems to bery high let alone 65 GDP. :roll:  This book is only 420 pages, so thats like 2 or 3 hardcover AD&D books.  Sounds like to me like the seller was hoping to get a lot more for his auction than he did and now he is trying to screw you on shipping in order to make up the difference.   Here is the Royal Mail service rates for Airmail shipping:

http://www.royalmail.com/portal/rm/cont ... aId=400347

Note that he can send books that weigh up to just over 10 lbs this way at a rate of 20.51 GDP(for 2 kg) plus an additional rate of 9 pence for every 20g over the first 2kg which comes to a total of 34.01 GDP.  Thats for shipping on a book(of which he can send at Airmail rates as long as its less than 5 kg or just over 10lbs)

NOTE:  Wow, I really do not like the Royal Mail website at all, its not very user freindly. :?

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 5:48 pm 

thanks for the info, i'm not sure yet what to do with this seller.  i bought the item below from the UK, which is similair, and it only cost GBP 21.00 to ship it.  i can't see this item costing 3x that...

** expired eBay auction **

-dave

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 6:26 pm 

Maybe seller wants to courier it for paypal?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 7:23 pm 

I suspect the seller is trying to make proffit on his shipping. Even his UK shipping cost is about double what it would actually cost to ship fully trackable on a next day delivery.

There is a threshold of about 4.4lbs after which UK inland shipping escelates quickly. I imagine it's the same for international shipping but I doubt the book reaches that.

last year I sent 12 Dungeon mags to the US Royal Mail International Signed For (which was fully trackable, requires a signiature upon delivery, and was also fully insured) which meets Paypal's requirements for £18.60. It's the most I have ever had to pay.

I think he's picked a number and doubled it.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . minestrone soup.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 7:24 pm 

mbassoc2003 wrote:I suspect the seller is trying to make proffit on his shipping. Even his UK shipping cost is about double what it would actually cost to ship fully trackable on a next day delivery.

There is a threshold of about 4.4lbs after which UK inland shipping escelates quickly. I imagine it's the same for international shipping but I doubt the book reaches that.

last year I sent 12 Dungeon mags to the US Royal Mail International Signed For (which was fully trackable, requires a signiature upon delivery, and was also fully insured) which meets Paypal's requirements for £18.60. It's the most I have ever had to pay.

I think he's picked a number and doubled it.

I agree with Ian.  It sounds like a shakedown, pure and simple.

If he screwed up the shipping, he's obliged to ship it at the price he quoted, period.  He needs to eat the difference.  If not, I'd ask for a refund.

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
http://www.ntrpgcon.com

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 10:07 pm 

i sent a reply asking him the weight and dimensions, and explaining that i've never had problems with similar, heavy items from the UK.  i'm curious to see what rates i find online with the information he sends me.  if he insists on the money, i'm pretty tempted to ask for a refund and give him some creative ideas on where he can ship his book, anatomically speaking.  I want the book, but not that badly… i'm sure another will pop up on ebay eventually.

-dave

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 10:53 pm 

I know that UK postage is crazy high compared to the U.S., but this is simply unbelievable. More than $100 to mail that item cannnot be right. I would almost bet that FEDEX is cheaper...

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 11:53 pm 

Also keep in mind, this seller has a very low feedback of 29 and so they probably have very little international mailing experience.   It is possible that he is simply confused and/or perhaps was given misinformation by a postal employee, etc.

I'd tackle if from this standpoint first, politely explaining the situation, sending him different links and explaining mailing options.

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 12:54 am 

Is there a possibility he could ship it some other way than postal services  (i.e. UPS, FedEx, Airborne, DHL, etc.) for cheaper rates?  
How much does that book weigh anyway??

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 7:42 am 

Hi there, living in the UK and an occasional seller, I'll add my 2p's worth.  This may not qualify for airmail (max sending weight is 2kg).  There is a rate for books up to 5 kg weight, but it is just for books - this would not qualify because of the additional packaging (the perspex, chain and padlock - pedantic but true).

The same 2kg limit applies to surface mail - so if the parcel, all told, is above this weight, the only other option will be a courier service, which will be expensive.

Note also that many of our post offices are not serviced by fully trained postal staff, so misinformation is quite common.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 7:48 am 

hopefully the seller will respond by tonight and let me know how much it weighs.  if not, i have a friend that works for GW that could probably get the information for me.  thanks for the help so far ;)

-dave

Active Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 3:02 pm 

If they won't honour the P&P that sounds like a breach of contract to me..
which could qualify them as a non-performing seller?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 7:39 am 

got a response from the seller this morning regarding weight and dimensions:

The dimensions are as follows:

14¾ x19x7½ inches

38x48x19 cm

weight 5.6kg

The wight is the problem, as 5kg is the limit for the ordinary post, and that would have to be printed matter, which may present a problem with the perspex and chain etc. The other possibility is to send it as two separate parcels, the book in one and the perspex, nuts and bolts and padlock and chain in the other; or the book and perspex in one and the padlock and chain in the other.

-dave

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 7:09 pm 

Afraid that £65 isnt too bad for 5,6kg by courier.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 7:10 pm 

http://www.interparcel.com/quote/

as low as £45