Best Storage Methods
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 1:06 pm 

Hello Members,

I am very new to the forum, in fact this is the first and probably only one that I will ever join. I have had the pleasure of interacting with some of you via eBay, but I thought that I might give you all a little background about my D&D days before asking my question, so you know about my gaming roots.

I actually started in the summer of 1976 with the White Box edition, as my friend's older brother had a friend, who was really into various games, especially Cross of Iron, Squad Leader, etc. One day he brought Empire of the Petal Throne, but that did not last too long with us, as he next brought this game called Dungeons & Dragons. We used the EoPT maps for the D&D world, even though we had the Outdoor Survival game, as recommended by TSR. Needless to say, my friend & I were hooked and I played/DM'd all through high school & college. Even having created new systems and worlds over the course of time.

On to my questions, at long last  :wink:  I have a collection of Dragons (#60 thru #300), Dungeons (#1 thru #100), Polyhedrons (#1 thru #120), all of which are due to subscriptions, and a littany of boxed sets, modules, and rule books. I would like to know the best way to keep these items in their current condition. What are the real differences between Mylar & Polypropylene bags, the benefits of Acid Free Boards, and what should be used with magazines versus modules versus rule books, etc.???

I have always been very particular about my collection and I was the first one in my group to find and buy clear Vinyl covers for my rule books. My 3rd/4th/5th printings of MM, PHB, & DMG are still in VF+ condition, as well as my 1st print of D&DG. I have been expanding my collection & filling some holes, but I want to eliminate the threat of mildew, mold, staple rust, and yellowing of pages. I have found, on rare ocassion, some stains appear from nowhere and the start of some staple rust. I hope that some of you out there can impart your first hand experiences & wisdom to me, so that I can protect these nostaglic treasures of a truly wondrous time.

Sincerest Thanks,

"Okay, we turn the corner and see a Purple 'WHAT' !?!" . . (the DM rolls a 20 or so he says) . . It all went black right after that.

[email protected]

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:16 pm 

I recommend that you start here:

http://www.acaeum.com/library/storage.html

Welcome to the forum!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 9:56 am 

KoP89, thank you very much for the link to that page, but I had already read all of that information, which is what has prompted my question.

I was hoping that someone out there has had "practical experience" with the various methods of storage and could recommend certain strategies and warn against others. Unfortunately, I do not believe everything I read, so I tend to verify what I have read by going to people who have had actual experience with the subject.

Please let me know what any of you have learned, as I would like to be able to undertake the task of "Proper Storage" over the holidays.

Sincerest Thanks,

"Okay, we turn the corner and see a Purple 'WHAT' !?!" . . (the DM rolls a 20 or so he says) . . It all went black right after that.

[email protected]

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 10:04 am 

Here's a thread that deals with different storage materials:

http://www.acaeum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3036&highlight=sheet+music

In my personal opinion, you are wasting time on investing in Mylars (unless, perhaps, you are protecting $500+ items . . . even then . . .)

Just bag them, store them upright on a bookshelf or in Magazine boxes.  Make sure they aren't in a humid environment (like a basement), add backing boards if you like and you will be fine for years to come.

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 11:18 am 

Thanks BeyondtheBreach, I appreciate the link and the insight, as I was going to buy some Mylar bags, but was unsure if they were really worth it.

BeyondtheBreach Wrote:
Make sure they aren't in a humid environment (like a basement)

Like FLORIDA  :P  :wink:

Fortunately I have a room designated as a game room with all of my softcovers lying flat and boxed sets & rule books standing on shelves.

Thanks Again,

[email protected]

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 12:12 pm 

Hi Paul, good to see you aboard.  :)

Here are a couple of other threads where we previously discussed different stoarge methods:

viewtopic.php?t=3534

viewtopic.php?t=2668

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 7:54 pm 

Hey BClarkie,

Thanks for welcoming me aboard . . . it is really appreciated  :D

As for the links, they were a good read and it seems people were inclined to get Mylar for their collections and probably use Polypropylene for items they sell online. Do you have a preference or experience with these materials?

After bagging them, I would be inclined to lay them flat as you said, but not stacked so high as to cause any crushing. Currently, my mags are stacked 12 to 20 in stack, depending on their thickness, while my modules are laying flat and spread out over several shelves, like a deck of cards spread out so that I can see the corner of each, from A1 thru X13.

BTW, my signature quote is how my second D&D character died  :cry: , which prompted a chorus of "Well I saw the thing coming out of the darkenss, It had one long horn and one big eye, I commenced to shakin' and I said oo-sh*t, It looks like a purple Paladin eater to me, It was a one-eyed one-horned purple Paladin eater, Sure looks good to me"  :roll:  Needless to say, we had a sick bunch, but we were only 11 or 12 years old at the time.

Thanks,

[email protected]

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:16 pm 

Hello everyone.  As discussed in my recent post on the introduce yourself thread, I am a new collector.  I recently bought a huge lot of Dragon mags and Dungeon mags from a local comic book store.  They were stored in a good environment, upright in cardboard magazine boxes, some are in acid free sleeves. Most were obtained by the comic book store from an out of business distributor years ago and were stored in the magazine boxes without the sleeves.  Many were stored in the original shipment TSR boxes that were sent to the distributor and purchased by the comic store.  Most of the lot is unread and has all enclosures attached including magazine subscription type pull outs, special edition stuff, etc.  I am looking for advice on how to store the items properly. My goals are to expand my collection with quality items, not to try and make a quick buck off my purchase.  I will eventually look to trade my multiples with other collectors in an effort to fill in gaps in each other's respective collections, etc.  In reading the storage advice on this site, it seems most go with the mylar sleeves and white magazine storage boxes.  Does anyone have any current links for bulk purchases on the sleeves.  Most of the links in the forums are expired e-bay listings.  I have checked out Bill Cole Enterprises and Bags unlimited?  Maybe they are the way to go.  Also, with a collection this large, mylar is going to be very expensive.  The cheapest I have seen is about 26 cents per sleeve for 1,000.  Maybe it would be smarter to put a few copies of each issue in mylar and the rest in polyurethane or polypropylene bags?  The 8 3/4" x 11" seem to fit the mags well.  Any recent updated links and advice would be greatly appreciated.  Respectully,  DD.Collector :D

P.S- Has anyone tried the resealable sleeves/bags?  Nice or problematic?

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:57 pm 

Bags Unlimited is fine.  I also like http://the2buds.com/

Compare prices, obviously.

Mylar is overkill except for the most expensive items.  What issues of Dragon and Dungeon did you get?

Bags, maybe boards, and boxes will do just fine for those.

Personally, I don't care for the resealable bags.  I use Scotch Removable Tape - works great.

Areas of interest/knowledge: Harn, WFRP, Ars Magica, anything BRP based such as CoC, Runequest, Pendragon and all their related games

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:39 pm 

Thanks for the reply Historian.  I am still inventorying everything but generally, the Dragon Issues range from 70 - 346 with gaps.  My highest incidence of Dragon multiples are between issues 133-184 range, but dispersed elsewhere throughout the collection as well.  Dungeon issues range from 10-136 with bigger gaps than Dragon.  Highest incidence of multiples from 10-44.  I am putting everything on a spreadsheet and will post what I have extras of and what I would like to aquire once I figure out the proper way to do that by exploring the forms.  The collecting gig is new to me.  But I have been having a ball.  I love anything 1st edition AD and D and earlier as that is what I played extensively in my youth.  Not to mention, I think the artwork is just fabulous.  I appreciate the help and look forward to learning from all the experience in this member base.  Respectfully.  DD.Collector

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:17 pm 

Anyone ever try BCW products?  
** expired/removed eBay auction **

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 5:00 pm 

DD.Collector wrote:Anyone ever try BCW products?  

Yeah, I use them for some of my stuff. You can pick them up much cheaper than that auction. I usually spend $5-$7 for a bag of 100 from a local comic shop.

Guy Fullerton
Chaotic Henchmen Productions
http://www.chaotichenchmen.com/

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 5:28 pm 

Guy Fullerton wrote:Yeah, I use them for some of my stuff. You can pick them up much cheaper than that auction. I usually spend $5-$7 for a bag of 100 from a local comic shop.

That auction is for 1,000 bags, or 10 packs of 100, for $54.99.  Not that ridiculous.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 6:24 pm 

DD.Collector wrote:Anyone ever try BCW products?  

BCW is all I use, personally. The bags are high quality, reasonably priced, and you can fit pretty much anything up to...a thick hardcover in the bag. Supermodules/Dragon mags, no problem. I don't use tape or resealable bags, I have an irrational fear of getting sticky stuff on my mods. I just fold the bag down and rock and roll. They get my full support.

Zen

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 6:44 pm 

** eBay auction listing blocked.  Please enable cookies in your browser for this site and for eBay! **

With shipping about $17 For 100 bags.

With shipping you loose money here, but you dont have to store 1000 bags.

Counting shiping costs, you can spend half as much at most comics stores.

Anyone want to go in with me on one of the Magazine sized 1000 bag listings?

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:07 pm 

Grug Greyskin wrote:That auction is for 1,000 bags, or 10 packs of 100, for $54.99.  Not that ridiculous.

D'oh!  :oops:

Guy Fullerton
Chaotic Henchmen Productions
http://www.chaotichenchmen.com/

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:50 pm 

I've done a thread search and didn't find the answer:

Does it matter "much" which side of a backing board faces the back of the module? i.e., one side is glossy; the other side, not so much. Not sure whether having the latter touch the module contributes to degrading.

All my stuff is in bags and boards. I'm wondering if it's worth going through hundreds of items to make sure the "proper" side is facing the module.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:57 pm 

Sea-to-sky-games wrote:I've done a thread search and didn't find the answer:

Does it matter "much" which side of a backing board faces the back of the module? i.e., one side is glossy; the other side, not so much. Not sure whether having the latter touch the module contributes to degrading.

All my stuff is in bags and boards. I'm wondering if it's worth going through hundreds of items to make sure the "proper" side is facing the module.

The shiny side should face the module.  The coating is calcium carbonate which will absorb acid that will migrate from the comic or module.

Last edited by Grug Greyskin on Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Next