D&D Cartoon
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 3:28 am 

Sea-to-sky-games

Does anyone know the differences between the UK set (released last year as I recall) and the US set?

UK set came first in 2004. It does not have the original opening to the episodes, nor the original theme song. It does contain fan commentaries.
This is based on reviews I've read online.
US set came second, It contains the original opening and theme song as well as the following list of extras:
"Entering the Realm of Dungeons and Dragons" making of - featurette
Commentary on two episodes by show creators
Radio show-style presentation of unaired final episode
Alternate and rare footage
Series Bible and scripts
Full-length animated storyboard for one episode
50 profiles of characters, creatures, and artifacts
Interactive adventure
Art galleries
Short live-action fan film "Choices"
Trivia
DVD-ROM supplements
30 page booklet
D&D 3.5 mini-hardcover adventure & character stats for show conversion
Plastic dragon miniature
Different box & dvd artwork
9 episodes have had 3 pieces of music penned and conducted by Rob Walsh replaced. They are intact on UK release.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 6:55 pm 

UK set came first in 2004. It does not have the original opening to the episodes, nor the original theme song. It does contain fan commentaries.
This is based on reviews I've read online.

I own the UK version and it does have the original opening -- just not to the 2nd season (though a rough VCR clip is available as extras).

When someone scores the US version, can you confirm whether the 2nd season opening sequence is in digital format before the episodes?

9 episodes have had 3 pieces of music penned and conducted by Rob Walsh replaced. They are intact on UK release.

Sorry, does this mean that the UK has the original music or the replacement music, as in the US version?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 7:49 pm 

Sea-to-sky-games wrote:I own the UK version and it does have the original opening -- just not to the 2nd season (though a rough VCR clip is available as extras).
When someone scores the US version, can you confirm whether the 2nd season opening sequence is in digital format before the episodes?

Oh, OK, the review I read was wrong. That is exactly like the US version. We've only got rough VCR versions of the 2nd & 3rd season openers.

Sea-to-sky-games wrote:Sorry, does this mean that the UK has the original music or the replacement music, as in the US version?

UK has the original music, US does not. This is what I read. I own the US version but I couldn't tell there were little snippets of music that were not original.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 8:02 pm 

Thanks for clearing that up. I think I'll pass on picking it up unless someone else can share any major differences.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 10:20 pm 

I loved this cartoon when it was on!  Granted, I was only 9 or 10 at the time, and new to D&D.  Looking back though I think it was quite good compared to the standard Saturday morning cartoon fare.  Not exactly cream of the crop like, say, Danger Mouse, but definitely better than average.  Watch some Care Bears or Pac-Man, or even Snorks or any other of countless forgotten cartoons from the 80s and you'll know what I mean.

I don't have the DVD set as I don't really watch TV anymore, but I did buy it for my brother for Christmas.  It looks like a very well put together set.  That's a shame that the figure is plastic though.  I really thought it was metal.

Previous