D&D Cartoon
Author

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 9:48 pm 

The D&D cartoon finally arrives in stores tomorrow.  :D

I have been waiting for the release for along time. I wonder if it will have any extras?

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 10:29 pm 

Tons of extras, actually.

Here's the Amazon page

+++++

Good lord, I just noticed as I copy/pasted that link: the set is 45-percent off at Amazon. 8O I know where I'm ordering from ... :)

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 10:39 pm 

Xaxaxe wrote:Tons of extras, actually.

Here's the Amazon page

+++++

Good lord, I just noticed as I copy/pasted that link: the set is 45-percent off at Amazon. 8O I know where I'm ordering from ... :)

Thanks for that X, I just preordered mine right now. :)

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 10:59 pm 

I will be doing the same.

I just noticed about a month ago that Disney Channel runs the show at 6 a.m. on Saturday morning. I have been using the DVR to record them, then my kids and I watch them when we get up.

My six year-old daughter likes the show the best. The older two are not as interested.

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 12:52 am 

bclarkie wrote:
Thanks for that X, I just preordered mine right now. :)

Wow ... I just found another Christmas present for myself....   :wink:

I was wondering if/when they would release these.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 12:36 pm 

Probably not quite the same set.  But for UK customers

Amazon UK D&D Cartoon

Am I alone in thinking that this series was a complete b.o.s.?  Or should I buy it and watch it again whilst wearing my eyeglasses of nostalgia?

'ear all, see all, say nowt.  Eat all, sup all, pay nowt.  An' if tha ever does owt for nowt then allus do it for thisen.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 4:30 pm 

Xaxaxe wrote:Tons of extras, actually.

Here's the Amazon page

+++++

Best Buy has it for the same price.  No shipping cost and no wait.  Going to pick mine up today.   :D

Am I alone in thinking that this series was a complete b.o.s.? Or should I buy it and watch it again whilst wearing my eyeglasses of nostalgia?

Not sure what B.O.S. stands for (bucket of shit?) but I thought that some of the episodes were well done.  Yeah, the unicorn was annoying, the barbarian with the club was ridiculous and the cavalier with the shield...well lets just say I wanted him to bite the big one each and every week.  There was one particular episode where the group was so fed up with Venger that they lured him to the Dragon's Graveyard ( :lol: ) where their weapons were most powerful.  They kicked his one-horned ass and the ranger was about to waste his ass when that little prick "Dungeon Master" popped up and gave him a guilt trip.  That was actually a very good episode IMHO.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 5:51 pm 

Best Buy also had a special figure packaged with some(minimum 10 per store). The figure looks like one of the plastic mini game figs that are popular right now. Not sure if this figure is a special exclusive or not though.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 6:54 pm 

Oh, make no mistake, the show is horrible. I remember the huge launch party they had for it at Gencon. They were giving loads of crap away - posters, pins, whatever.

So me and the guys sat down and watched the preview episode.........I will not debase this awesome site with colorful metaphors we used afterwards.

They made a cartoon of D&D for kindergardeners. End of story. But like I said, my six-year-old daughter likes the show. And guess what, she loves that little unicorn. My eight-year-old son calls it a "baby show." My ten-year-old daughter will watch it, but has very little interest.

By the way, I got free shipping from Amazon. There is some sort of promotion going on.

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 7:53 pm 

Kingofpain89 wrote:Not sure what B.O.S. stands for (bucket of shit?)

Close.  Bag of shite.

I suppose that the commercial juggernaut that TSR had become by 1983 was probably trying to reach out to a new generation of players.  Or just flog them jimjams, tablecloths, and other D&D paraphernalia/merchandise or load of old tat (depending on your p.o.v.).

I was probably too old (and cool 8) by then to consider watching what I thought was kiddie fayre.

'ear all, see all, say nowt.  Eat all, sup all, pay nowt.  An' if tha ever does owt for nowt then allus do it for thisen.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 8:03 pm 

burntwire brothers wrote:Best Buy also had a special figure packaged with some(minimum 10 per store). The figure looks like one of the plastic mini game figs that are popular right now. Not sure if this figure is a special exclusive or not though.

Thanks for the heads up!  I just went and picked up my copy there.  Only $30!
I LOVED the cartoon when it was on TV.  I was only 10 years old, and just starting to play D&D with some friends, so it was perfect timing.  My parents even bought me the whole line of LJN toys too!  8)

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 9:45 pm 

burntwire brothers wrote:Best Buy also had a special figure packaged with some(minimum 10 per store). The figure looks like one of the plastic mini game figs that are popular right now. Not sure if this figure is a special exclusive or not though.

At first the figure (dragon) looks like pewter but it's just plastic so it was a bit of a disappointment.

However, the company that produced the DVD set did a really nice job.  Included is an Animated Series Handbook that looks like a miniaturized version of the 3.5 Players Handbook.  It has 3.5 statistics for all of the characters (including Venger) and their signature weapons/equipment.  It also contains a mini-adventure called Beneath the Blade of Sword Mountain.  Anyone who liked the original cartoon will probably really like the set.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 9:48 pm 

bbarsh wrote:By the way, I got free shipping from Amazon. There is some sort of promotion going on.

It's their standard "Super Saver" shipping. They pretty much have free shipping on any order of books/CD/DVDs that total more than $25.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 11:48 pm 

bbarsh wrote:Oh, make no mistake, the show is horrible. I remember the huge launch party they had for it at Gencon. They were giving loads of crap away - posters, pins, whatever.

So me and the guys sat down and watched the preview episode.........I will not debase this awesome site with colorful metaphors we used afterwards.

They made a cartoon of D&D for kindergardeners. End of story. But like I said, my six-year-old daughter likes the show. And guess what, she loves that little unicorn. My eight-year-old son calls it a "baby show." My ten-year-old daughter will watch it, but has very little interest.

By the way, I got free shipping from Amazon. There is some sort of promotion going on.

I bet the chicks in the series look HOT now...hey, it's been 20 years...they've gotta be in their 30s!!!! :twisted:

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 8:23 am 

Badmike wrote:I bet the chicks in the series look HOT now...hey, it's been 20 years...they've gotta be in their 30s!!!! :twisted:

Module TV1 - "Return to the Animated Series".  Oops, wrong thread.  :)

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 11:25 am 

They really put a lot of care into this release. All the extra material is really great. I'm very glad this was finally released because it brings back a lot of happy memories. I think the show still holds up and I'd like to see a new one on the air.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 11:56 am 

Well, my set already arrived in the mail. 8O   Not bad, 3 day turnaround time from order to delivery. :D

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 9:00 pm 

I'm going to get mine on Amazon.com can't wait for it to come :)

Mike

"Clearly Tolkien never played D&D" Jason - Foxtrot Comic

YIM  
Next