The Expanded Editorial of Jim Perelman's 1st Ed PHB
Author

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 5:51 pm 

Keith the Thief wrote:So who gets the PHB next?

From the thread, it looks like it might be FormCritic (Mark), but I'm not sure.

Let me know and I'll send it out ... probably Friday.

Thanks,
Keith

I think Mark was supposed to get it next.  We should see if it can end up in someones hands in August that is going to GenCon.  I seriously think at an Aceaum get together, over burgers and beer, we should have a ceremonial "Reading of the Perelman Rant" and make it an annual event.  Kosh, did you think someday you might have the most talked about PHB in existence??

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 6:19 pm 

Badmike wrote:
I think Mark was supposed to get it next.  We should see if it can end up in someones hands in August that is going to GenCon.  I seriously think at an Aceaum get together, over burgers and beer, we should have a ceremonial "Reading of the Perelman Rant" and make it an annual event.  Kosh, did you think someday you might have the most talked about PHB in existence??

Mike B.

I honestly did not think that it would go this far Mike  8O

But an annual reading at GenCon would be appropriate  :lol:

I just hope that I get to move back to Indy in the next year or two so that I can attend  :x

Going to graduate this summer, getting my Database Management degree, just hope that I can get a job over there (crosses fingers, knocks on wood)

PS  I just hope that I get it back...someday   :wink:

"Ah, you seek meaning? Then listen to the music, not the song."

"I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 7:20 pm 

I'm late to the discussion, but the flyleaf notes in this PHB sound like the existential angst we were all (those of us 33-43) were going through at the time.  Any chance of being put on the (end of) the list?  Actually, a .pdf would be perfect.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 7:22 pm 

Badmike wrote:

Mike B.

Who has the book at the moment?

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 9:37 pm 

I would be very happy to get the cd as well. And, I will burn a copy and send to two other guys that want one.

Cheers,
Steve

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:33 pm 

Why bother burning it onto CD and posting it, won't it make more sense to slap it up onto the likes of Rapidshare and making the link accessable to all here for them to download? Saves a lot of time and postage methinks.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 3:49 am 

forkbeard wrote:Why bother burning it onto CD and posting it, won't it make more sense to slap it up onto the likes of Rapidshare and making the link accessable to all here for them to download? Saves a lot of time and postage methinks.

That would all depend on how much data is on the CD. If I can get it online and there are no objections I'll do just that.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 4:45 am 

Ooo I wanna see... yeah an online link thingie would be great.. cheaper too. let us know! otherwise I'll pm my address.. I wanna read this stuff

"Somehow, in hell I knew there would be mushrooms"

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 7:51 am 

As soon as it's here I'll sort something out and post a message on this thread. If it's small enough I'll host it in my webspace, otherwise it may need to go onto Rapidshare as a zip.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 7:23 pm 

FormCritic wrote:
Who has the book at the moment?

I have the book right now.

With regard to the CD, I will do my best to send it to those who've already requested it from me ... wrt uploading it somewhere, I don't have anywhere to upload it to ... so I'm going to pass the buck on that one.

Mark: If you're next to get it, PM me your mailing address and I'll try to get it in the mail tomorrow.  My free time is kinda limited right now, though, and if I can't mail it tomorrow, I may have to wait until Monday or Tuesday.

Thanks much,
Keith

"Never let it be said I didn’t do the least I could do."

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 10:54 pm 

Zip the scanned images, change the .zip to .avi and dump it to a photobucket account and post the link that we can right click on, save to our computer and then changed the .avi extension back to .zip  :P

Check out my Chaosium sourcebook.
Secrets of Tibet

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 1:33 am 

jasonw1239 wrote:Zip the scanned images, change the .zip to .avi and dump it to a photobucket account and post the link that we can right click on, save to our computer and then changed the .avi extension back to .zip  :P

OK...zip?  avi?   photobucket account?  avi extension?

I do know how to post a link, but as far as the rest of the internet goes I am as ignorant as one of those headhunters on Gilligan's Island.   :x

PM with address sent, by the way.

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 8:20 am 

jasonw1239 wrote:Zip the scanned images, change the .zip to .avi and dump it to a photobucket account and post the link that we can right click on, save to our computer and then changed the .avi extension back to .zip  :P

I don't know how to convert zip to avi, and I don't have a photobucket account ... in fact, I'm not even sure what a photobucket account is.

Maybe someone else who's received the CD can do this.

Thanks,
Keith

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 8:46 am 

I just meant to change the extensions, not convert the file. Forget about it. The basic settings in Windows hides file extensions anyway.

on another note:

REH!! You're back!!  :P
Man...got to tell you...your other avatar was really creeping me out.
I clearly remember the shadow that the Dallas Egbert incident cast on the reputation of gaming.
Anybody that was gaming at that time had to be on the defensive and explain role playing repeatedly.

Check out my Chaosium sourcebook.
Secrets of Tibet

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 8:50 am 

What he is describing is a sneaky way to transfer files.

(1) Photobucket is a place that stores photos and movies for free.  Anyone can access the photos and movies if given a link.

(2) The filenames of movies end in suffixes like "mpeg", "mov", and "avi" --- JasonzBdayParty.avi

(3) The filenames of compressed files end in suffixes like "Z", "bz2", "gz", and "zip" --- JasonzBdayParty.zip

(4) Photobucket apparently only checks filesizes and filename extensions.  Big file + named like a movie = OK, it's a movie file.

So all that's required by the uploader is being a bit naughty (as opposed to being a naughty bit) and uploading a faux-movie file that in reality is a compressed file that contains a bunch of scans.

Whoever downloads the file then renames it so Windows knows to play it with whatever movie player plays avi files.

[edit: *d'oh*  That last bit should read

Whoever downloads the file then renames it so Windows knows to uncompress it with whatever compression program is on the machine.  Windows compression, WinZip, 7Zip, etc will uncompress the file into its component parts. ]

Last edited by JohnGaunt on Mon Apr 09, 2007 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 10:54 am 

John> now that is sneaky sneaky.

"Somehow, in hell I knew there would be mushrooms"

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 3:29 pm 

The hard copy of the PHB is now on its way to Mark (formcritic).

As Jimmy Buffett says, "Good God Almighty, it's a piece of work!"

Thanks ...
Keith

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 9:16 pm 

BTW, with respect to the CD, there should be a few copies out and about by now.

If, however, you are having trouble getting your hands on one, PM me sometime next week (preferably Tuesday or later) and I'll try to help ...

Keith

PreviousNext