The Expanded Editorial of Jim Perelman's 1st Ed PHB
Author

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 10:55 am 

There is a certain charm to the arcane nature of all the old D&D books.  They looked wierd enough to stand out from other books.  The original artists also gave the game its amateur feel that was a part of its attraction....it felt like our own shared secret.

The comic book appearance of some of the art in the new stuff is one major reason that some old timers do not like 3.5.

I would have liked AD&D even better if the covers of the hardbacks had been brown parchment-like stuff....resembling the OD&D books.

That was also certainly a part of the charm of the Arduin books....that and Otis and Morno's artwork.

Mark  8)

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 2:16 pm 

bump

"Ah, you seek meaning? Then listen to the music, not the song."

"I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 4:37 pm 

Is this old thing still being passed around?  If so, I'd like a shot at it.

And setting aside the whore, for a moment, is the book available as well?

Let mirth prevail!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 5:21 pm 

Me too.  

I'd be interested in getting a look at the wisdom contained in this old tome.

"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats."
--H.L. Mencken

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 10:30 pm 

I have been prevented from getting to the post office any of the past five or so weekdays.

The Perelman Player's Handbook is set to be mailed off to Xaxaxe as soon as I can get a moment.

It is a very interesting read...even as just an early print of the PHB.

Mark   8)

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 10:35 pm 

FormCritic wrote:The Perelman Player's Handbook is set to be mailed off to Xaxaxe as soon as I can get a moment.

Woot!

I won't keep it long, I promise. I want to pretty much just scan through it.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 10:50 am 

Duke, can you send it to me next?  If not, who's next in line?

Let mirth prevail!

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 12:46 pm 

That sounds do-able. There does not appear to be an actual "list;" I think it's sort of who speaks up first

As I mentioned, I mostly just want to get an impression of the overall book; I won't be reading too closely. I'd like to think that it won't be here in Reno for more than two (maybe three) days.

I'll ping you when I'm ready to send it on.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 12:46 pm 

8)

Let mirth prevail!

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 7:06 pm 

Well, it's an interesting read, that's for sure, but I'm not seeing anything "psychotic" or "dangerous" or anything other than the often-funny ramblings of a dedicated 13-year-old player.

In fact, I divide JP's missives into two distinct parts. The long essay on the flyleaves seems to be a sort of open letter to Gary Gygax about how he has managed to screw up what should be a fun little game. In fact, I think it might have been intended as a letter, either by directly ripping the flyleaves out of the book or else by serving as a rough draft for a future letter. Also, I strongly suspect that much of the language was meant mostly to impress his middle-school buddies that he showed the book to; there is a lot of showing off and tough-guy talk.

The other part of JP's opus (the interior pages) is also pretty interesting. There are lots of alterations to tables, scribbled footnotes, and references to other TSR products (articles in Dragon, for instance). Some of the suggestions are actually quite good. Clearly, this was a young man who was very passionate about the game, but also had definite ideas concerning how it should be played. But, again, there's no "psychotic" writing here ... just a very passionate (too passionate, arguably) young man with a pencil and too much time on his hands.

Anyway, I guess you're up next, Steven (or is yours with a "ph"? I can never remember; there's too many frickin' Steve's here :)). I suppose it's easiest just to PM me with your address.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 7:42 pm 

I thought a couple of his notes were dead on.

He was mostly offended by the up-gunning of some of the character classes.  He also obviously thought that monks were too weak.

Mark

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 7:43 pm 

BTW, thanks for the deluxe shipping, Mark. I'm going to "pay it forward" and do the same thing for Stephen (with a "ph").  :wink:

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 7:45 pm 

Xaxaxe wrote:BTW, thanks for the deluxe shipping, Mark. I'm going to "pay it forward" and do the same thing for Stephen (with a "ph").  :wink:

Aenoth shipped it to me by priority mail as well.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 8:05 pm 

Xaxaxe wrote:Well, it's an interesting read, that's for sure, but I'm not seeing anything "psychotic" or "dangerous" or anything other than the often-funny ramblings of a dedicated 13-year-old player.

I came away with a different impression.  I found the letter unsettling.

In fact, I found it difficult to concentrate on JP's changes to the interior because I kept going back to his rant.  

It's interesting how two people can interpret the same text quite differently ... which, of course, is why so many people get into trouble with office emails these days.

I'll have to look at the CD again and try reading it from a different perspective.

Keith

"Never let it be said I didn’t do the least I could do."

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 8:10 pm 

Keith the Thief wrote:I'll have to look at the CD again and try reading it from a different perspective.

There's no right answer, of course. But do this, just as an experiment: re-read it, but picture JP later showing off and showing it to his friends. As in, "Look at this awesome letter I'm writing to Gygax!" That's totally what it seems like to me ... I was a show-off, too, when I was 13.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 8:13 pm 

Xaxaxe wrote:There's no right answer, of course. But do this, just as an experiment: re-read it, but picture JP later showing off and showing it to his friends. As in, "Look at this awesome letter I'm writing to Gygax!" That's totally what it seems like to me ... I was a show-off, too, when I was 13.

Good idea.  That will give me something to do during my lunch hour tomorrow.

I'll also pay closer attention to his changes to the rules.

Thanks,
Keith

"Never let it be said I didn’t do the least I could do."

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue May 15, 2007 11:39 pm 

Hey, who has got the holy grail now???  :D

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue May 15, 2007 11:41 pm 

It recently went from me to Pennsylvania Steve.

+++++

Sidebar: I've been meaning to remind everyone: be sure to sign the last page when you receive the PHB. It's sort of a nice historical record of the book's travels.  :)

PreviousNext