The Expanded Editorial of Jim Perelman's 1st Ed PHB
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 2:16 am 

edit from FoulFoot:  A webpage explaining most of this, as well as featuring scans, is here:  The Perelman PHB

It has begun,

I just sent (by Media Mail, 1 Dec 06) the Infamous Jim Perelman PHB to Badmike and his circle down in Texas for editorial review.

For those who receive it please sign and aka your forum name. Post any editorials/comments here so we can have a process flow on how we, as players, believe it should have been written.

Also include your current location (State and Country) at the time that you receive it and whom you intend to send it to next.

Since this is a joint effort, please take the time and efffort to protectively package this book to avoid damage. I sent the PHB by USPS media mail but I armored the hell out of the packaging by using a re-inforced large photo mailer with dual cardboard inserts that I encased the PHB in. If you can obtain the same size envelope and re-inforce the envelope as I have, then you can reuse the encasing and the PHB should survive quit nicely. If the encasing gets damages the please be thoughtfull enough to replace it. If you come up with something better then by all means do so. When and if the PHB goes overseas, then that will become a whole other packaging issue. S&H only cost $2.07 to send to TX so it's not much out-of-pocket. If going overseas, then the current holder needs to work out the details with the overseas recipient.

So, it will originate from me, Kosh Vorlontay in WA, USA and it is currently on its way to Badmike in TX, USA.

Let the editorial begin! :D

PS Can this be made into a sticky?
PSS Please use only the recipients forum name, State and Country to protect the privacy of all involved, thank you 8) (that means no addresses)

"Ah, you seek meaning? Then listen to the music, not the song."

"I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 9:44 am 

Wait, what did I miss, and how do I get involved?   :D

Let mirth prevail!

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 10:12 am 

What's all this then?
Is it a local thing for local people?

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 11:39 am 

bombadil wrote:Wait, what did I miss, and how do I get involved?   :D

The curious case of the three-page rant in the old PHB

Start reading.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 12:12 pm 

King, email me, let me know if you are free the next two weekends we can get together, sign the book, drink a few Shiners....I'm going out of town the 23rd I think....
    Who wants it after we get a shot at it?

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 1:53 pm 

Badmike wrote:Who wants it after we get a shot at it?

My turn, my turn . . .  bring along women, too.  :)

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 11:05 pm 

JohnGaunt wrote:My turn, my turn . . .  bring along women, too.  :)

I guess we could have a group PHB signing at Million Dollar Saloon.... :lol:

Mike B.

NTRPGCON

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 12:27 pm 

Badmike wrote:I guess we could have a group PHB signing at Million Dollar Saloon.... :lol:

Have the, uh, staff sign the book, too, while they laugh in our faces for being geeks.   :D

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 7:29 pm 

Is this roadshow coming to Oz?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 2:09 am 

LOL!

I'd totally be up for signing it. I'm in Canada (eh?), so shipping up here will be a bit more, but it'll be more for me when it leaves too ;)

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 8:04 am 

Improv,

I certainly hope so!.

We can have it cover the continent between just the 2 of us. 8O

Better yet, get as many here to sign as possible, just to fly the flag 8)  :lol:

"Don't tempt me, I can resist anything but temptation"

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 9:29 am 

I got it in the mail this week but just last night got a chance to page through it.
  This thing is frikken hilarious!!!
  It's much more than just the rant.  This is truly a PERSONALIZED copy of the PHB...tons and tons of notations, notes written in the margins, stuff crossed out, entire spells blacked out, names changed, spells altered, etc.  Some of the notations had my laughing out loud. Under "Halflings" in the character races section, Perelman notes: "They're called Hobbits, assholes". The Weapon type to hit adjustment table" "This table smokes farty eggs". The clerical Conjure Animals spell has "This is the biggest bunch of crap I've ever seen. The author of this spell should be exploded" written in the margin and the entire spell marked out; The Mirror Image spell, under the explanation of number of images formed, he's written "Roll a fucking D4 Asshole".  Funny stuff.
  The most interesting though upon flipping through this is how different the approaches were between groups of players.  For myself, we would NEVER have thought of marking up the PHB like this...it was like the bible or something!  I didn't think so at the time since we had so many house rules, but for the most part on spell descriptions etc we slavishly followed the rules.  My group would have never thought about altering spell descriptions, spell lengths, etc.  We would have simply ignored the entire spell and just not used it.
 Also, got to love these old books...despite the massive amount of use Perelman probably put it through, it's rock solid.  Looks like it could make it through another 25 years of gaming no prob....

Mike B.

NTRPGCON

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 9:55 am 

Though it's probably going to have it's biggest wear'n'tear  test passing through the world's postal services.

"Don't tempt me, I can resist anything but temptation"

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 11:00 am 

Oh man... the book.. it returns! can't wait to see details on what everyone else has written... if it ever gets across the pond, we uk geeks may enjoy lending to the mayhem... *snicker*

in the meantime, keep us updated!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 12:46 pm 

Just don't send it 'M' bag 8O

"Ah, you seek meaning? Then listen to the music, not the song."

"I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 6:12 pm 

Badmike wrote:I got it in the mail this week but just last night got a chance to page through it.
  This thing is frikken hilarious!!!
  It's much more than just the rant.  This is truly a PERSONALIZED copy of the PHB...tons and tons of notations, notes written in the margins, stuff crossed out, entire spells blacked out, names changed, spells altered, etc.  Some of the notations had my laughing out loud. Under "Halflings" in the character races section, Perelman notes: "They're called Hobbits, assholes". The Weapon type to hit adjustment table" "This table smokes farty eggs". The clerical Conjure Animals spell has "This is the biggest bunch of crap I've ever seen. The author of this spell should be exploded" written in the margin and the entire spell marked out; The Mirror Image spell, under the explanation of number of images formed, he's written "Roll a fucking D4 Asshole".  Funny stuff.
  The most interesting though upon flipping through this is how different the approaches were between groups of players.  For myself, we would NEVER have thought of marking up the PHB like this...it was like the bible or something!  I didn't think so at the time since we had so many house rules, but for the most part on spell descriptions etc we slavishly followed the rules.  My group would have never thought about altering spell descriptions, spell lengths, etc.  We would have simply ignored the entire spell and just not used it.
 Also, got to love these old books...despite the massive amount of use Perelman probably put it through, it's rock solid.  Looks like it could make it through another 25 years of gaming no prob....

Mike B.

Writing in the book would have been unthinkable for our gaming group.  The books were high priced items for our guys...or at least for me...since my copy was always a borrowed copy.

Just over a year ago, I wrote The Charm Person Agreement of 2004 inside the cover of one of my 3rd edition books.  I made the players all sign the agreement so they could not "forget" what they said the spell would or would not do.  (Essentially, we agreed to remove the spell from play.)[/b]

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 8:36 pm 

Kosh Vorlontay wrote:Just don't send it 'M' bag 8O

Thats right. You would have to wait for some poor soul to strap it on their back and swim overseas.  :lol:

"before chuck even gets in the room, you can feel the bad-ness." -Al

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 11:27 pm 

MShipley88 wrote:
Writing in the book would have been unthinkable for our gaming group.  The books were high priced items for our guys...or at least for me...since my copy was always a borrowed copy.

Just over a year ago, I wrote The Charm Person Agreement of 2004 inside the cover of one of my 3rd edition books.  I made the players all sign the agreement so they could not "forget" what they said the spell would or would not do.  (Essentially, we agreed to remove the spell from play.)[/b]

Mark that is funny as hell.  Didn't you relate that incident before?  If not let us know what was the catalyst that removed the spell from your campaign.  Ironically that is not one of the spells we had a lot of trouble with, because we treated it consistently against both monster and PC both, so no one was surprised when it was used. I remember having lots of trouble with Fireball, my views of the spell and other players always used to differ (what if it impacted on a body before exploding, stuff like that).  

Mike B.

NTRPGCON

Next