The Future of RPGs as a collectible?
Poll: Will RPGs remain a popular collectible with the next generation?

It is generational and will probably decline in the future 71%       71%  [ 44 ]
It is a solid collectible that will hold its value and be popular with the next generation 16%       16%  [ 10 ]
Unsure or mixed feelings 13%       13%  [ 8 ]
Total votes : 62

Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 1:12 pm 

I'm not so sure about that far of a decline--it seems that it is far easier to collect today than ever, largely because of eBay (among other sites), and the Internet in general, than even ten years back.  Far easier to find information about specific items now than "back then".

Just look at this site and where the posters are from . . . who thought when most posters (that are in their 40's) could talk to people from around the world about D&D/AD&D, back when a fair number of us on this site were teenagers?

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 1:26 pm 

Something else occured that makes me lean toward the generational thing: Back in the early 80s there was a backlask against D&D by the Christian right.

I don't know how much impact it had in other parts of the country, but here in the south it was fairly profound.

There were extreme cases -- groups burning D&D books -- and other, less drastic episodes that I remember vividly.  I had friends at school who simply quit playing the game, and knew of parents who wouldn't allow their kids to play the game.

These incidents may have taken a number of copies of OD&D and 1E material out of circulation, and had an impact on the availability of material now.

Just a thought ...
Keith

"Never let it be said I didn’t do the least I could do."

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 4:56 pm 

I voted unsure.  

While there are good arguments for it being generational, my family (mother) and others that I know have made very good money from things that were around in the late 1800's.

These things were dolls.

Gary H. Kramer

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:01 pm 

red_bus wrote:Good thoughts all round.

I think that one factor which will affect all this is whether people will continue (or re-start) to game into their retirement.  If these pastimes are completely forgotten by then, then over time the collectible market will decline (although I think that there will always probably be a market for some of the older iconic stuff, e.g. Dragon Mag. #1 etc.. albeit a small one).  On the other hand, if people use their increased leisure in retirement to game (or start gaming again), then I think that the collecting market will stay very strong.

Picking up on this comment. I watched a documentary on the evolution of the toy market in Japan. Because of declining birth rates in wealthy countries, the toy / game market in general has declined. In Japan, companies started producing toys and games for retirees. It is the largest growing market in Japan - really booming apparently. People are living longer and have a lot of time on their hands. In the past people in retirement homes twiddled their thumbs, watched TV and did crosswords. In Japan, retirement home residents are buying games specifically designed for older people, including computer games. Perhaps, in the distant future us collectors will actually be able to 'play' our games rather than just collect them!  :)

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:19 pm 

The quality is there so i expect these items to appreciate over time. The rares in particular will only appreciate and there will be no looking back regarding them!

For example there are so few copies of Lost tamoachan out there that it will never go cheap in collectible condition! Its a big world after all and it won't take many collectors coming into the fold to increase the value of these items.

I expect shrinkwrapped pristine modules & items to appreciate as well!

Posted: seeking arcane knowledge, will pay well for old writings,books,scrolls,alchemist cookbooks, and other odds n' ends that will aid me in furthering my pursuits!

-Thenraine the silver magus

Previous