Minature collecting masters--I need advice
Author

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 7:17 pm 

Greetings all--I have returned, and jumped right back into the game of 1st ed AD&D collecting and minatures--to the point--I bought a set of 80's minis--supposedly in "mint" condition--pics looked fine--but of course after i got them and had them in hand--I realized "someone" at one point in time painted them greyish/silver...(imagine that) and under that coat several have been painted--so I'm a bit...disappointed,then again I suppose I could just hope the paint could come off in my vat of simple-green. I guess there is really no way of telling if the seller intentionally did this or did he get the figures this way--my main question, as I know there is at least one member on this forum who is a big mini collector--and hopefully many more, I'm sure this has happened to you before--what did/do you do? Im leaning to just hoping they come clean--but if they dont--then well--I'm screwed. As far as neg feedback goes--theres no way I can prove this seller did this intentionally so Im apt to just let it go--any tips for cleaning primed/painted mini's?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 10:35 pm 

I regularly purchase vintage miniatures/miniature sets that have been painted.  The only caveat I have in buying them lies in the figures/sets being complete - I'm normally even willing to repair broken figs providng the pieces are there.

In the long run, you're better off purchasing vintage miniatures that have been painted simply because the paint helps to stave off corrosion (the dreaded 'lead rot' whispered of by old school wargamers) which will weaken and turn lead miniatures brittle over time.  With that in mind, I make sure I re-prime any figures I strip before storing them.

As far as stripping goes, a soak in Pinesol or Simple Green followed by a scrubbing with an old toothbrush should suffice in knocking the most stubborn old paint off your miniatures.

The Egg

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 3:02 am 

Yeah, Simple Green gets just about anything off those miniatures. I don't know from personal experience, but I heard it's name spoken in near-religious whispers amongst the Warhammer gamers at a FLGS.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 5:53 am 

I usually prefer minis that have been painted. They are cheaper.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:45 am 

belial418 wrote:As far as neg feedback goes--theres no way I can prove this seller did this intentionally so Im apt to just let it go

If a seller pleads ignorance on something, then I don't leave any feedback.  If the seller ignores me, then I'll give negative feedback.

I do have some horribly-done recasts that are reminders to not buy shiny minis with fuzzy photos.
--any tips for cleaning primed/painted mini's?

Acrylic paint:
. . . Pine-Sol soak followed by a toothbrush (Egg-of-Coot style)

Enamel Paint:
. . . Pine-Sol soak followed by Comet/dutch cleanser and a brass-bristled brush (who needs fine details?)

You could use any number of paint thinners and removers, but those are highly toxic and expensive.  Even gasoline is carcinogenic, so I stick with the simple household cleaners.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 7:44 pm 

Thanks for the tips and after I was reminded about the "lead-rot", I asked around my local circle and found many "old timers/elites" do in fact prime/coat old minis and even new ones out of habit even though newer minis maily consist of less/or no lead and therefore are resistant/immune. So I'm glad I remained calm and in fact should probablly thank the seller for coating them  hehe. Thank you all for your help.

W.A. H.