protecting the bidders from the fraudsters.
Author

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 12:58 am 

GraysonAC wrote:
I don't see why eBay would want to discourage sniping in any way. They make their money off the listing fees and the final value fees. The higher the final price, the more money eBay makes.

I agree, this is a bull**** move. Shilling on expensive items is going to go through the roof if that crap is ported over to the .com site.

Sniping keeps prices down. There is less impulse bidding and the price tends to stay lower.  Snipes can also be set and then retracted before they fire.  Bids stay put.

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 12:03 pm 

I disagree. I wouldn't bid on nearly the amount of stuff I do without snipes. It just wouldn't be feasible to keep track of that many auctions, and how much I was willing to bid on each. Bididng your max and then ignoring the auction is a pretty sure-fire way to get outbid by a single increment.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 7:50 am 

So this is eBay's excuse for implementing this feature...

As the internet evolves, eBay continues to strike a balance between preserving transparency and protecting our Community of members. eBay has decided to change how bid history information is displayed so bad guys cannot target bidders with fake offers using this information. In certain cases, some bidders will no longer be able to view Bidder User IDs on the Bid History page. Your User ID will be shown only to you and the seller of the item you're bidding on. Other members will see an anonymous name, such as Bidder 1, applied consistently to the Bid History page.

Too bad the other auction sites aren't up to scratch yet.

Previous