protecting the bidders from the fraudsters.
Author

Active Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 2:44 pm 

I notice ebay.co.uk are now hiding all the bidders once the auction goes

over £100

eg

http://offer.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dl ... 0050369573

shows me bidder1 to bidder11 at the moment!?

I guess even if you are a US customer you see the same thing?

What do people think of this.. .. oh.. the other thing, is you can

no longer see the active bids of UK people from  the Items by bidder

link of here..

eBay listings?

So you can't see all the gems found by your more esteemed betters

any more.. good for the buying betters I suppose, maybe not so

good for the sellers?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 11:20 pm 

Honestly, I think it's long overdue.  Genuine auction houses like Sotheby's don't use names, but numbers.  So why not ebay?  As a consequence, they had to remove the active bids from the options in the items by bidder link.  I just don't see any of this as that big a deal.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 11:55 pm 

Sotheby's doesn't have shillers. That would be "why not eBay".

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 12:04 am 

Deadlord39 wrote:Sotheby's doesn't have shillers. That would be "why not eBay".

Agreed, it is lame lame lame!!

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 12:21 am 

This is going to make the search for shillers (sounds like a poor SF movie!) by several worthies from this site all the more difficult - so no doubt shilling on the higher value items will run unchecked.

Obviously ebay will do something about this immediately - the usual action is to act concerned and take the fees :twisted:  - this just makes the whole ebay affair far less transparent.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 1:21 am 

Deadlord39 wrote:Sotheby's doesn't have shillers. That would be "why not eBay".

Exactly.  So much for transparency...

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 1:28 am 

This is the biggest load of F**king Bull S**t that I have ever seen in my entire life on Ebay.  Let's face it, this was not done to protect anyone's idenity, it was done so Ebay can secretly do away with thier shilling policy under the facade of protecting their bidders idenity from phishing emails. Ebay has probably just realized that it would be a good business decision to allow sellers to shill the hell out of thier auctions because it just means more and more fees for them to collect.  Everything else that they try to say is just a crock of f**king sh*t.  Ebay can go f**k themselves for all I care.  At this point its the only viable option, but come hell or highwater, the nano-second a suitable competitor comes along, Ebay will never ever ever see another penny from me again.

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 1:30 am 

Traveller wrote:Honestly, I think it's long overdue.  Genuine auction houses like Sotheby's don't use names, but numbers.  So why not ebay?  As a consequence, they had to remove the active bids from the options in the items by bidder link.  I just don't see any of this as that big a deal.

Are you serious??? Honestly how often do you buy on Ebay?

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 1:44 am 

Like I am seriously pissed off at this.  I think that everyone on this site should call into Ebay to complain about this.  I think that everyone on here should get everyone that they know who uses Ebay to call in to them to complain.

Here is their number to call and tell them where they can stick this new policy:

800-717-3229

The only way that Ebay will consider removing this ridiculous policy is if they get enough complants from buyers who tell them that if they don't change it back that they are going to take their business elsewhere to the point that decide allowing shilling might not be such a good idea after all.  Seriously everyone do it.

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 5:42 am 

I agree it's not a good policy for online auctions. Shilling will be easier. In Australia, Ebay massively hiked its shop fees and Sellers left in droves. There is now a new site called oztion.com.au, which is similar but much cheaper than Ebay. I have already got a few good deals on that site. If they do the same hiding of bidders here, I think even more will leave Ebay and move to Oztion. It's good for Ebay to have some competition.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 10:07 am 

bclarkie wrote:This is the biggest load of F**king Bull S**t that I have ever seen in my entire life on Ebay.  Let's face it, this was not done to protect anyone's idenity, it was done so Ebay can secretly do away with thier shilling policy under the facade of protecting their bidders idenity from phishing emails. Ebay has probably just realized that it would be a good business decision to allow sellers to shill the hell out of thier auctions because it just means more and more fees for them to collect.  Everything else that they try to say is just a crock of f**king sh*t.  Ebay can go f**k themselves for all I care.  At this point its the only viable option, but come hell or highwater, the nano-second a suitable competitor comes along, Ebay will never ever ever see another penny from me again.

Give me a call when Ebay makes a GOOD move.....we'll take a holiday. The fact is that Ebay's profits are down, and according to recent Wall Street Journals, investors are jittery.  The recent raise in fees did gavethem a small profit but it was not as large as expected...it basically kept them even.  Recent business models show that Ebay has about reached the zenith of their expansions...now the challenge will be to hold steady yet post profits every year.  With this pressure, it doesn't surprise me that Ebay will make it easier to accomodate shillers, all it does is raise their profits and places no extra burdens upon them.  Expect more sleazy tactics ahead as Ebay scrambles to keep their profits high without adding new buyers.

Mike b.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 11:30 am 

I suppose for quite a few of us this means we won't be bidding on UK auctions that exceed 100 pounds.  I never bid on auctions with private bidder lists due to the likelihood of shilling.  If this comes to the US then I'll never bid beyond the threshold of the bidder identities becoming private.  eBay is just shooting themselves in the foot again.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 6:03 pm 

[quote="bclarkie"]This is the biggest load of F**king Bull S**t that I have ever seen in my entire life on Ebay. [quote]

Really?  The biggest?   8O  :D

The only real question about Ebay is how long they can operate before someone takes part of their business.

I don't see a viable option springing up in the short term.

Also, isn't there a difference between a slowdown in the growth of profits and a loss of profits?

Is this possibly a way for Ebay to cut into sniping?  I would think that it would be best for Ebay if they stopped all sniping activity.

Wouldn't it?

Mark   8)

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 7:32 pm 

MShipley88 wrote:Also, isn't there a difference between a slowdown in the growth of profits and a loss of profits?

For investors, not much.....

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 9:08 pm 

It would be nice if eBay had some competition. In recent years, I have been annoyed by their fees.  :x

~Clangador
---------------

Black Blade Publishing imprint of OSRIC is not only the most definitive printing of OSRIC to date, but also the single greatest resource for old school gamers since the three original hardbacks written by E. Gary Gygax.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 1:19 am 

bclarkie wrote:Ebay has probably just realized that it would be a good business decision to allow sellers to shill the hell out of thier auctions because it just means more and more fees for them to collect.

Atleast they're providing a link to each bidder's bidding history.  Its not as useful as the information currently (er, previously available) but will allow some shilling to be detected.

http://offer.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dl ... e_ViewLink

"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats."
--H.L. Mencken

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 1:28 pm 

MShipley88 wrote:Is this possibly a way for Ebay to cut into sniping?  I would think that it would be best for Ebay if they stopped all sniping activity.

I don't see why eBay would want to discourage sniping in any way. They make their money off the listing fees and the final value fees. The higher the final price, the more money eBay makes.

I agree, this is a bull**** move. Shilling on expensive items is going to go through the roof if that crap is ported over to the .com site.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 9:55 pm 

[quote="bclarkie"]This is the biggest load of F**king Bull S**t that I have ever seen in my entire life on Ebay. ...quote]

WOW ... Brian had his weeties for breakfast  :lol:

Seems to me that ebay would be better off adding a soft close to all auctions to increase their revenue.  All of the small competing sites I have seen use this feature under the guise of trying to help out the buyer by ensuring they have every opportunity to win the auction.

It seems that each eBay site operates independently of each other.  Australia for instance removed reserve price auctions.  So I don't expect that this change would impact all the other countries.  It may have something to do with sales patterns in the UK or local laws.

Next