not nice auction with an acaeum member
Author

Long-Winded Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 2:39 am 

well, shortly: i bought a couple of months ago 2 modules from an ebay seller who, i suppose, should also be an acaeum member! (i'll keep his identiy undisclosed for i dont want to waste his image)

the items arrived a couple of weeks ago (due to extremely long time in surface delivery)... timing was not problem to me... the point is that out of the auction picture it was not possible to spot the wear on the spine...

Image Image

...i dont want to say that the object in the pic was not the one i got, i simply am sure that i couldnt recognize anytrace of wear out of the image on ebay...

in addition, the item was graded as "fine", hence the definition matched with the pic...

once i got the item i was surprised by its real conditions: the module is not to be considered as "collectable" (while a "fine" item is a collectable item!)...

in conclusion: i claimed a full refund for the item not matching with both picture and description (ah, i paid it less than 5 USD! ...not that much!) and the seller is reluctant to accept he is in fault and dont want to refund me...

what should i do now?

tnx everybody and ciaooo

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 2:49 am 

not fine. I can see that.
was there any mention of spine wear. or only a image of the centre of the book?

Long-Winded Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 3:17 am 

Rakeesh sah Tarna wrote:not fine. I can see that.
was there any mention of spine wear. or only a image of the centre of the book?

nothing! the image was full, but i was not able to see the spine wear...
let me add again: this is the main reason that lead me to ask a total refund: both conditions and pic were not matching with item (regardless any other issue)...

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 7:38 pm 

Can't really offer any advice without seeing the original picture, or at least the wording of the auction.

That's not out of line for Fine though, per the Acaeum gradings. http://www.acaeum.com/frontdesk/grading.html

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 7:45 pm 

That is exactly why I never classify anything. I just describe all the flaws and leave it at that.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 7:50 pm 

Deadlord39 wrote:That is exactly why I never classify anything. I just describe all the flaws and leave it at that.

Yeah, I make sure to describe everything that I notice about the books that I sell. The "Very Good" style of classification is nearly useless, since there's no set standard for what each grading really means. My own grading is a helluva lot harsher than the Acaeum (the book in the pics above would be "Good" by my auction grading)

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 10:58 pm 

First off, I would never assume anything listed as "fine" is collectable grade.

If you are looking for a collectabe grade item, the item in question has to be fully described in detail so YOU can make the determination of whether or not it fits YOUR standard of collectable.

In my auctions, I try to do both. I give an item general description such as "very good" or "excellent." Generally, VG is not collectable to most people while Excellent makes the grade. But I thoroughly describe each item with its detractions and slide it into a general category that fits an item.

I have plenty of repeat buyers [collectors] because they know I accurately describe my items.

In short; if the item does not have a solid picture and detailed description, assume it is not a collectable grade module.

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 12:06 am 

I know I have been a whiner in the past about some minor things....so...anyway....

I would just eat the $5.  "Fine" is fine.  

I have gotten a mashed module before...one as part of a lot which didn't looked mashed in the photo...but it was.

Write it off.

Mark

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Long-Winded Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 3:11 am 

ok, you are right in stating the "FINE" is not completely collectable... but i repeat it again: my main concern is not whether is fine or not... this is a matter that cannot be solved for anyone could have a different opinion on an item!
i'm trying to focusing on the facts that are not tied to subjects' evaluations! in this case i have:

* a picture that doesnt show any wear along spine (and, oh my god, now it has been removed from the auction... what a strange coincidence, isnt it?)

* a description of the item that, beyond the grading reference, states: Condition is Fine ... strong color and binding, light cover-wear ... completely free of markings ... fresh, clean, neat & complete ...

i think that this is not correct, nothing more, nothing less...

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 4:31 am 

Why don't you just say who it is and get it over with? If the guy pulled a fast one on you, he deserves it.

~Clangador
---------------

Black Blade Publishing imprint of OSRIC is not only the most definitive printing of OSRIC to date, but also the single greatest resource for old school gamers since the three original hardbacks written by E. Gary Gygax.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 4:40 am 

GraysonAC wrote:
Yeah, I make sure to describe everything that I notice about the books that I sell. The "Very Good" style of classification is nearly useless, since there's no set standard for what each grading really means. My own grading is a helluva lot harsher than the Acaeum (the book in the pics above would be "Good" by my auction grading)

Speaking as the writer of those standards  :D  , I would also classify the above item as GOOD.  Any interpretation of it being FINE shows a real lack of understanding grading conventions.  Color loss/wear along the enitre length of the spine is a MAJOR flaw.

As pointed out - maybe the VG description could be more detailed - that is probably true, but I left it purposely "open" to account for the endless variety of flaws that might appear on items (which, when all is said and done, are still relatively solid, decent books).

As you and Deadlord suggest, I used to list every single detail for two years  "There is a corner bump on the bottom right, a few spine stress lines, some light color fading near the top and a small scuff near the UPC code."  Starting price for this B1 is $3.00 with BIN of $5.00 . . .  :D   That got REAL old.

Commonly understood grades are necessary to help alleviate the tedious task of describing thousands of low value items.  Yes, if you are selling something for $100 + it helps to be very detailed, but a little perspective is needed.

For the most part, I just list the condition, the standards I use and provide the pics.  In all these years, I have not had one complaint about condition.  People generally know what to expect from the above grades and are happy with the result.

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 4:42 am 

GraysonAC wrote:
.. My own grading is a helluva lot harsher than the Acaeum (the book in the pics above would be "Good" by my auction grading)

Ditto to that.  I am a complete obsessive when it comes to condition.

Let's go fly a kite
Up to the highest height!

Long-Winded Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 4:54 am 

clangador wrote:Why don't you just say who it is and get it over with? If the guy pulled a fast one on you, he deserves it.

because it is not correct for i'm still waiting a final reply... furthermore, i must admit that even if he was not correct in his auction, he's a polite guy and i do want to behave as well

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 9:24 am 

In Aia defense, I know who he dealt with and IMO this person is actually a Classic "overgrader".  Not on along the lines as Titan Games, but still pretty bad none the less.

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 9:42 am 

I for one just hope that the communication between buyer and seller can remain between them and not spill out into the forum like it did between Aneoth and Darkseraphim:

viewtopic.php?t=1338&highlight=

That wasnt pretty.  :|

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 10:32 am 

Kingofpain89 wrote:I for one just hope that the communication between buyer and seller can remain between them and not spill out into the forum like it did between Aneoth and Darkseraphim:

viewtopic.php?t=1338&highlight=

That wasnt pretty.  :|

I don't think that it will go that way, the person in question really isn't even a regular poster here anyway.  I think that they have like a grand total of 12 or 15 posts. This is not exactly a pillar of the community that Aia is dealing with here.

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Long-Winded Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 10:37 am 

short update of the deal: the seller understood my position and i'll get a refund! tnx everybody for your support, you're a great community!  :)

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 10:41 am 

I wouldn't call it "Fine", but I'm conditioned by the Acaeum gradings.  Did the auction include a grading scale?  "Fine" is extremely subjective.  

Anyway, your best bet is to point out the issue to the seller and deal with them directly.  If the response is unreasonable (ie.  swearing, calling names, throwing things) I'd mention that on the public forums.  However, since you asked for opinions:

Asking for a full refund seems a little unreasonable to me, considering the seller will be out the auction price, the auction fees, the shipping fees across the atlantic, and likely out the module itself -- the cost of having it shipped back far exceeds the book's value.  Since you haven't posted the actual auction, it's hard to say where fault lies.  I'd offer to split the difference and call it a day.

YIM  
Next