Expenses for Sundry but Necessary Shipping Materials
Author

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 9:29 am 

Add me the list of recycling shipping materials whenever I can.  I save and reuse just about every box, every piece of bubble wrap and every little piece of packaging popcorn that I can when I ship stuff out.  I do it more for fiancial reasons then I do it for saving the enviroment reasons though.  I figure that I am saving both myself and my buyers money if I recycle the packaging material that I recieve when I buy stuff.  I have also been known to use old newspaper as packaging material as well.  

Then again, I also usually use Saran Plastic Wrap to bind stuff like multiple books and box sets together so that it holds everything together.  That prevents it from being damaged due  to opening up and/or sliding around while in transit.  It really works great and it sure beats using tape(it really irritates me when I get box sets that sellers have freaking taped the box top and bottom together  :evil: ), but the enviroment kind of loses out in the equation on that part.

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 4:48 pm 

bclarkie wrote:
Then again, I also usually use Saran Plastic Wrap to bind stuff like multiple books and box sets together so that it holds everything together.

Makes me think of John Cusack playing Martin Blank (the assassin) in Grosse Point Blank - where his 'contracts' are wrapped thusly.   :D

Let's go fly a kite
Up to the highest height!

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 4:52 pm 

red_bus wrote:
Makes me think of John Cusack playing Martin Blank (the assassin) in Grosse Point Blank - where his 'contracts' are wrapped thusly.   :D

Seriously, Saran Wrap is the bomb when it comes to holding books and such together.  As noted, its not great for the environment, but it makes for happy customers. :D

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 7:04 pm 

bclarkie wrote:I have also been known to use old newspaper as packaging material as well.

Be really careful with newspaper. The ink can smear and get all over stuff, which can be really brutal. I've had it happen once, had a guy ship something in a manilla envelope and wrapped in newspaper with nothing between my book and the newspaper. Received a technicolour module :(

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 7:10 pm 

GraysonAC wrote:
Be really careful with newspaper. The ink can smear and get all over stuff, which can be really brutal. I've had it happen once, had a guy ship something in a manilla envelope and wrapped in newspaper with nothing between my book and the newspaper. Received a technicolour module :(

Oh, I know.  Saran Wrap helps with that too. :wink:

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 8:12 pm 

bclarkie wrote:
Oh, I know.  Saran Wrap helps with that too. :wink:

You don't happen to have shares in a Saran Wrap company?  :twisted:

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 7:16 pm 

I have a postage question and rather than starting a new thread, I thought I would ask it here.

Has the price of USPS Global Priority Airmail jumped up recently?

It used to cost me $10-14 to get up to five modules / mags is a global prioity airmail letter to Australia. Now I am being quoted $9.50 for surface mail (takes up to five months), $21.40 for standard airmail letter, and $24.00 for USPS Global Priority Airmail.

This is like a doubling in prices. Can someone help me with this?

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 7:20 pm 

Not that I noticed (also from OZ).  Have you checked pricing on USPS.com based on weight etc or was this a quote from a seller?

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 7:25 pm 

HermitFromPluto wrote:I have a postage question and rather than starting a new thread, I thought I would ask it here.

Has the price of USPS Global Priority Airmail jumped up recently?

It used to cost me $10-14 to get up to five modules / mags is a global prioity airmail letter to Australia. Now I am being quoted $9.50 for surface mail (takes up to five months), $21.40 for standard airmail letter, and $24.00 for USPS Global Priority Airmail.

This is like a doubling in prices. Can someone help me with this?

If it fits in an flat rate envelope, Global is still $9.50

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 7:31 pm 

It is a quote from a Seller.

Thanks. I just checked on usps.com and a flat rate global priority large envelope should be $9.50 - that is what I am used to. Lately quite a few Sellers I have bought from in the US have charged me exhorbitant postage - I guess to make extra profits.

I suppose there is nothing one can do about this except confirm postage beforehand and then decide not to buy if they are going to overcharge.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 2:11 am 

HermitFromPluto wrote:I suppose there is nothing one can do about this except confirm postage beforehand and then decide not to buy if they are going to overcharge.

Yup  :(  It's not as bad being in Canada, but that's still a big issue too. It's hard to bite my tongue when I pay $12 for $4 postage. Have to be very careful about checking the shipping costs if you're not in the US.

Previous