worldwide ebay selling; what's the best shipping to offer?
Author

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 4:42 pm 

Hi,

When you're selling on ebay, and you want to sell worldwide, what is the best way to create the ebay ad? We all want to protect the product, track it, and get it to the buyer in the best way that is also the most affordable.

It seems clear I can use Global Priority Mail to ship to Canada (the folks at the post office thought so anyway). It also seems clear I can just wrap up a book or module and send it anywhere by weight, but I'm not sure how to set up ebay so that the seller can see that I'm trying to offer the best options without over charging.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Why do we always have to attack uphill?

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 5:37 pm 

Onlondore wrote:but I'm not sure how to set up ebay so that the seller can see that I'm trying to offer the best options without over charging.

This part is easy: all of your shipping options are part of eBay's "Sell Your Item" form. You can pick and choose from different services, then choose whether or not to specify an amount or to use a shipping calculator based on weight and location. Plus, the SYI form will "remember" your choices for the next item; this will keep you from having to input all that stuff over and over ...

As for the rest of your questions, I'll let the experts here help you out; I don't do a lot of international shipping.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 6:17 pm 

I'm in the UK, and I prefer everything that can go into a Global Priority envelope or box to be sent Global Priority. You'll probably find most of the reputable and most respected US dealers ship Global Priority when shipping international. I'll leave them to tell you what they do about domestic mail.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . chicken and wild rice soup.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 10:02 am 

Thanks very much for your replies.

My local post office told me that Global Priority mail (which sounds like it should be global) is only for shipping from the US to Canada. It sounds like they were wrong. It was the option that I wanted to use.

Do others use Global Priority successfully?

Thanks again everyone!

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 10:15 am 

Here's a link to the USPS site which has details for the different options from them.

http://pe.usps.gov/text/imm/immc1_004.html#wqaDw1awats

As a buyer I prefer to receive the item within 2 weeks so generally looking at Global Priority. This way you can get the whole matter sorted ASAP.

For heavy items, unless you want to pay through the nose, surface or MBag ($1 per lb) can be used- but expect a huge wait.

"Don't tempt me, I can resist anything but temptation"

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 10:52 am 

Onlondore wrote:Thanks very much for your replies.

My local post office told me that Global Priority mail (which sounds like it should be global) is only for shipping from the US to Canada. It sounds like they were wrong. It was the option that I wanted to use.

Do others use Global Priority successfully?

Thanks again everyone!

I use global priority exclusively except for larger than normal items (or multiple books that are heavy).  I find it arrives very quickly, and hardly ever gets lost/rerouted like arimail, simply because the GP envelope/box is so distinctive.  Several sellers/buyers here have had their overseas packages accidentally sent surface (ship), but that won't happen with the GP items. Plus, the supplies are free, you can't beat that.
  You local post office might not have much experience mailing overseas items, but they should still know that global priority is used throughout the world. To be sure a country uses Global priority, just go to the USPS website.  Surprisingly, Greece and Italy are among two of the more well known countries that the USPS does not use for GP shipments.
  Just remember you also have to fill out the small green customs form, and that GP shipments must be under 4 lbs (more than this you have to ship airmail).

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
http://www.ntrpgcon.com

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 11:25 am 

Thanks very much everyone. Global Priority Mail was easy and went without a hitch.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 5:39 pm 

Onlondore wrote:My local post office told me that Global Priority mail (which sounds like it should be global) is only for shipping from the US to Canada.

That's awesome  :lol:

As a Canuck buyer, I prefer GP or just regular Airmail. The Airmail is a bit slower, but usually a bit cheaper too.