Games Workshop Addresses
Author

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 12:07 pm 

Howdy All,

When did GW move from 97 Uxbridge Road to 1 Dalling Road? My guess is sometime between April of 1976 and November of 1978. You guys with your White Dwarf Archive CD's go to work! :P ...please.  :oops:

A specific date for this will help date this boxed set, which I believe is a UK printing of the 5th Print White Boxed Set:

** expired/removed eBay auction **

The set is identical to a 5th print US but the cover stock is totally different.

Futures Bright,

Paul

The Collector's Trove The online auction house that features the collections of game designers and artists.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 12:16 pm 

Are the dimensions of the booklets different as well?  They look narrow.

Let mirth prevail!

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 12:26 pm 

Lets see.  The announcement of the move was in WD 6 and that is the first issue with the #1 Dalling Rd address.  So that is April/May 1978  It is I suppose entirely conceivable that they moved prior to that - perhaps just on or after WD 5 (Feb/March 1978)

By way of extra info. That means that they were at 97 Uxbridge Road for just under 2 years - I think they moved there in Aug. '76 (ish)

Let's go fly a kite
Up to the highest height!

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 12:32 pm 

Howdy Stephen,

bombadil wrote:Are the dimensions of the booklets different as well?  They look narrow.

Yes, by 1/8". Also, the reference sheets are on a heavier cardstock, not paper. I had a Men & Magic show up in a lot I bought from the UK about 3 years ago. At a glance I could tell it was a different cover stock but the prices in the back were in dollars. So, not doing any white box, research or collecting at the time I tossed it in my parts box.

Now having a set in context from the original owner with a GW flier in it, makes me think it is a UK printing.

The flier (8.5 x 11 folded in half to make a 4-page booklet) that comes with the set is a UK version of Understanding D&D. It is written by Steve Jackson and has a keyed mini-dungeon and a map, along with a narration of the gameplay that takes place therein. This flier has the GW address on it and dates from April 1976 to November 1978, I'm guessing.

Futures Bright,

Paul

The Collector's Trove The online auction house that features the collections of game designers and artists.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 12:37 pm 

Howdy,

red_bus wrote:Lets see.  The announcement of the move was in WD 6 and that is the first issue with the #1 Dalling Rd address.  So that is April/May 1978  It is I suppose entirely conceivable that they moved prior to that - perhaps just on or after WD 5 (Feb/March 1978)

By way of extra info. That means that they were at 97 Uxbridge Road for just under 2 years - I think they moved there in Aug. '76 (ish)

Well.... When did they move to Uxbridge Rd.? That will establish the forepart of the date. If it is Aug. '76 then that puts the date of this set Between Aug. '76 and April '78.

Futures Bright,

Paul

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 12:47 pm 

The Collector's Trove wrote:

Well.... When did they move to Uxbridge Rd.?

I think it was Aug. '76 (ish)

:D

Let's go fly a kite
Up to the highest height!

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 12:52 pm 

The Collector's Trove wrote:Yes, by 1/8".

Cool.  Just call me "Hawkeye" from now on.

Nice find.  I had no idea there was a possible UK set.

Let mirth prevail!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 5:35 pm 

Are you sure there was a UK printing of OD&D?  I thought they were all imported from the US.  Could it be that the flyer was printed in the UK, and added to the box?

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 7:07 pm 

otherworld wrote:Could it be that the flyer was printed in the UK, and added to the box?

yes. 1977 gw flyer. set also included Dwarf 1 flyer not sold on ebay.

5ths like that have shown up elsewhere not just uk but with extra context of Dwarf flyer might now be as easily another run at the end not at start as was guessed before. different cardstocks are well known on all oces and would be a sensible lead in to that.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 8:46 pm 

The Collector's Trove wrote:When did GW move from 97 Uxbridge Road to 1 Dalling Road? My guess is sometime between April of 1976 and November of 1978.

Sometime before March 1978.  (The UK 1st MM lists the address as 1 Dalling Road, and I've got the printing date on it narrowed down to between 12/77 and 03/78.  I don't much trust the dates provided in the books for the UK printings.)

The set is identical to a 5th print US but the cover stock is totally different.

I have one of these.  The cardstock has a grid-like pattern, and the GK logo on the Vol 2 is truncated at the bottom, right?

It's what Harami and I had been referring to as a "5A", as we came to the conclusion that it was printed right at the beginning of the 5ths -- it also lacks some of the faults/corrections introduced in the standard 5th.  I have an extensive list of differences somewhere, if you're interested.

This thread provides some help on the dates as well:

viewtopic.php?t=2642&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

So the "5A" is sometime between 02/76 and 06/76.

I originally thought it might have been a test print...you'll note, in comparison to a standard 5th, that the text blocks are much straighter and overall a better job was done in the printing of the booklets.  Of the two or three other copies I've seen on auction, they've all come from the UK.  My copy was found in Canada.

That's all the info I can think of, but if you need more assistance don't hesistate to ask.  :wink:

YIM  

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 8:54 pm 

Of note...that 1976 date range was determined on the assumption that the "5A" predated the "5th".

This was assumed because of the lack of specific printing flaws/corrections, etc.  If an alternate set of plates or printer were used in the UK, or if they were cleaned up somehow, that date falls flat.  (I don't know a darn thing about printing processes, so go with whatever makes sense there.)

The rest of that assumption was based on the Catalog page matching an early 5th.  Again, perhaps that plate wasn't changed and the set was really printed in 1978.   :?

YIM  

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 10:05 pm 

The Collector's Trove wrote:The flier (8.5 x 11 folded in half to make a 4-page booklet) that comes with the set is a UK version of Understanding D&D. It is written by Steve Jackson and has a keyed mini-dungeon and a map, along with a narration of the gameplay that takes place therein. This flier has the GW address on it and dates from April 1976 to November 1978, I'm guessing.

Nice find! This sounds pretty cool. Mini sample dungeons are always fun. How many rooms/encounters are there?

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 2:58 am 

Howdy,

otherworld wrote:Are you sure there was a UK printing of OD&D?  I thought they were all imported from the US.  Could it be that the flyer was printed in the UK, and added to the box?

Just like the MM, PH, '77 Holmes alternate artwork rule book, 1977 Holmes boxed set - all were printed in the UK and not imported. Given the variance in quality, coverstock, and reference sheets, as well as the Swords & Sorcery pamphlet, I'd say it was a distinctive printing. They used the US plates and cleaned them up possibly or got a new set.

Futures Bright,

Paul

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 3:14 am 

Howdy All,

deimos3428 wrote:Sometime before March 1978. (The UK 1st MM lists the address as 1 Dalling Road, and I've got the printing date on it narrowed down to between 12/77 and 03/78. I don't much trust the dates provided in the books for the UK printings.)

Hmm. Doesn't the 1st Print UK MM catalog list G1, G2, G3? That means the publication date has to be post 8/78 - as G1, G2, G3 were originally released at GenCon in August of 1978.

deimos3428 wrote:I have one of these.  The cardstock has a grid-like pattern, and the GK logo on the Vol 2 is truncated at the bottom, right?

Correct on both counts.

deimos3428 wrote:It's what Harami and I had been referring to as a "5A", as we came to the conclusion that it was printed right at the beginning of the 5ths -- it also lacks some of the faults/corrections introduced in the standard 5th.

Correct, my copy is also clean of those faults..

deimos3428 wrote:So the "5A" is sometime between 02/76 and 06/76.

Given the S&S Pamphlet included when it was purchased, the date has to be later than May 1976 but before GW moved from 97 Uxbridge Rd. to 1 Dalling Rd. in about April of 1978.

I really need to know when GW moved from 15 Bolingbroke Rd. to Uxbridge Rd. So far we have a guesstimate of 8/76.

Futures Bright,

Paul

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 3:22 am 

Howdy,

Rakeesh sah Tarna wrote:yes. 1977 gw flyer. set also included Dwarf 1 flyer not sold on ebay.

Are you refering to the set I bought or sets like it? The seller did not mention any White Dwarf ad to me.

Do you have a set with the White Dwarf #1 ad? Do you think that the ad was published at or before the release of White Dwarf #1? What is the publishing date for White Dwarf #1?

Futures Bright,

Paul

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 3:27 am 

Howdy,

zhowar wrote:Nice find! This sounds pretty cool. Mini sample dungeons are always fun. How many rooms/encounters are there?

20 encounters including the Dungeon Caretaker, an endless hall, and a space warp room that takes you to the (undescribed) level 4.

Futures Bright,

Paul

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 4:58 am 

I really need to know when GW moved from 15 Bolingbroke Rd. to Uxbridge Rd. So far we have a guesstimate of 8/76.
- august-september 76 after returned gw from US trip

Are you refering to the set I bought or sets like it? The seller did not mention any White Dwarf ad to me.
- you did not ask. set you bought had a wd 1 flyer given away to the other winner. ask about that gw catalog too and reason for lizards on the books in the gw dnd intro flyer. also why no uk oces. all gw prints have gw addys and announced in their pubs.

Do you have a set with the White Dwarf #1 ad? Do you think that the ad was published at or before the release of White Dwarf #1? What is the publishing date for White Dwarf #1?
- june-july 77

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 10:54 am 

Regarding G1/G2/G3's presence in UKMM1...that's an excellent point.  I have had a few indications that the modules may have been promoted/advertised/printed well in advance of the actual release date, so I didn't take their release date heavily into account when dating the book. :wink:

Regarding the UK 5th:

You've indicated that the S&S Pamplet puts it after 05/06.  The catalog page puts it before 07/76.  S&S was released in 07/76 according to this site, so we should be after this date, unless the pamplet sounds "promotional" in which case we should be before.  I would lean towards 06/76.

I'm not sure where the August date is coming from, but we're getting pretty close.  :?

YIM  
Next