Rare Advanced D&D Dungeon Masters Guide 2nd Print Beta
Author

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 7:31 pm 

The Collector's Trove wrote:Howdy All,

Just to clarify. The DMG price of $562 was for a Dave Sutherland 1st print. There is a continuing misperception about this. It was a 1st print.

The 2nd Alpha that just sold is now one of 3 prints that we know of: mine, plevich's, and now this one. No others have ever sold on eBay correctly identified as 2nd Alpha printings. This is a first.

The confusion is because the Sutherland auction was the first time anyone identified the 1st printing as we now know it. Before that the DMG with MM pages was considered the 1st print. When I changed the chronology by way of research, Scott assumed I was using the old chronology in the auction listing and he applied my new chronology to Dave's 1st print of Dave's calling it a 2nd Alpha. So the one listed under the section on DMG values at the Acaeum as a 2nd Alpha is actually a 1st print.

Also, the rarest DMG is the 3rd Beta because it never made it to outer shipping. It is likely that only 1 or 2 exist if any.

Futures Bright,

Paul

Somewhere, out there, David just breathed a very large sigh of relief.

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 9:51 pm 

Howdy Brian,

bclarkie wrote:Somewhere, out there, David just breathed a very large sigh of relief.

:?: Why so? Was the confusion bugging him? If so glad to help! :D

Futures Bright,

Paul

The Collector's Trove The online auction house that features the collections of game designers and artists.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 10:22 pm 

David indicated that he has been trying to have the $562 corrected and reassigned to the proper printing(in this case the real 1st printing) for ahwile.    Hopefully your post will help the cause. :wink:

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 11:47 pm 

Just noticed that nobody has mentioned that the title of this thread is wrong - the auction was for a 2nd Print Alpha, not Beta. (Paul referenced the correct printing in his post above, and the auction itself had it correct). Maybe if the seller comes back here he can fix it?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 11:55 pm 

zhowar wrote:Just noticed that nobody has mentioned that the title of this thread is wrong - the auction was for a 2nd Print Alpha, not Beta. (Paul referenced the correct printing in his post above, and the auction itself had it correct). Maybe if the seller comes back here he can fix it?

Nothing against those of a different lifestyle than myself, but I could have done without seeing the hugging/kissing pictures and I really could have done without seeing the dude's wang hanging out. :|

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 6:18 am 

...that's twice you have mentioned these 'disgusting' pictures - now I am intrigued - where are they?  Are they really gruesome?  :wink:

Let's go fly a kite
Up to the highest height!

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 8:25 am 

The description is, so I assume the pics are as well.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 8:46 am 

bclarkie wrote:Nothing against those of a different lifestyle than myself, but I could have done without seeing the hugging/kissing pictures and I really could have done without seeing the dude's wang hanging out. :|

Dude...I hit the back button as soon I saw the picture of the guy in the dress and makeup.  That was quite enough to let me know that I didnt need to go any further.  8O

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 8:55 am 

Turning back to the DMG/MM itself for a moment, I think this auction is just what the site needed.  It has breathed some energy into the group, and has been a lot of fun to discuss and read about.

Let mirth prevail!

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 3:35 pm 

bclarkie wrote:Nothing against those of a different lifestyle than myself, but I could have done without seeing the hugging/kissing pictures and I really could have done without seeing the dude's wang hanging out. :|

Which begs a question for those out there reading...take a sec to think then post your answer...  :)

Would you really want to purchase a 1st Alpha misprint (or 2nd Alpha...whichever you guys decide on) that the person in question has handled?  What would be your "Ok...wang or no wang I will buy at THAT price!!" price?

8O

Okay, I can't help but ask, but what exactly is a "potato wedger"? - bclarkie

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 4:11 pm 

red_bus wrote:...that's twice you have mentioned these 'disgusting' pictures - now I am intrigued - where are they?  Are they really gruesome?  :wink:

Hey you know I just realized that Zhowar must have changed his post.  The reason that I actually referenced it again was because Zho had made a comment about my original post. He must have changed it or deleted it just before I was going to make my post. :?

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 8:37 pm 

I'm sorry about that. I posted something like "yes, definitely not work safe" but then I thought it was a pointless post so I deleted it. I think it only existed for about 30 seconds! You must've quoted it right when I deleted it, so that it captured my previous post.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 8:46 pm 

The 2nd Print Alpha is on the way to becoming the "upside-down airplane stamp" of D&D collecting. Funnily, this stamp was just in the news:

"Rare stamp May Be on Envelope in Florida Ballot Box"

In 60 years, the article will be "Rare DMG May Have Actually Been Used for DMing".

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 10:03 am 

Okay guys, I am willing to help any way I can with research on my copy of this rarity. The WIFE is the one that decided we should hang onto it for now. I will park it safely along with my three other super-rare/one-of-a-kind D&D works/pieces for this time. I am willing to do anything I can to help with researching this item though. Let me know what I can do or what anyone needs for me to do and I will help in any way I can. The expediency of my help is going to be sporadic for a while though, we just purchased a big, beautiful home last Friday and will be moving in over the next few weeks and then unpacking over the next few years.

I'm glad I am back, John Pleveich

"Everyone is entitled to Al's opinion."

Previous