Rare Advanced D&D Dungeon Masters Guide 2nd Print Beta
Author

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 3:08 pm 

Oh and I hate to break it everyone, but 2 extremely important things:

1)  How do we really know that this book is actually legit? I say this b/c it would not be entirely impossible to actually rebound a DMG with those MM pages in them. :?

2)  Secondly and even more importantly, a price like this is certainly going to potentially encourage others to at least attempt to do so.

Something to think about....

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 3:09 pm 

I have to admit, it did occur to me.  That would be a dark turn of events, not necessarily in this case, but in future auctions.

Let mirth prevail!

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 3:12 pm 

bombadil wrote:I have to admit, it did occur to me.  That would be a dark turn of events, not necessarily in this case, but in future auctions.

Seriously, I would think it would much easier to try and rebound a DMG with those pages in it and get away with it then it  be to sell photocopies or fakes of certain other items.

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 3:17 pm 

1)  How do we really know that this book is actually legit? I say this b/c it would not be entirely impossible to actually rebound a DMG with those MM pages in them. :?
- two sides of same sheet. not so easy except in china.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 3:24 pm 

Rakeesh sah Tarna wrote:1)  How do we really know that this book is actually legit? I say this b/c it would not be entirely impossible to actually rebound a DMG with those MM pages in them. :?
- two sides of same sheet. not so easy except in china.

I guess that I am missing something here.  :?

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 3:35 pm 

b,
I think he is referring to this in the Acaeum description:
In this case, the printer printed one side of the sheet with the DMG pages and the other with the Monster Manual pages.  When they were cut and bound, alternating pairs of facing pages were thus either DMG or MM pages.

I take this to mean that the pages all have DMG on one side and MM on the other side - so it's not as simple as taking a chunk of the MM and putting it in a DMG. On the other hand, the photo in this particular auction does not establish the alternating sheets.

Verbose Collector

http://www.acaeum.com/ddindexes/setpages/dmg.html
In this case, the printer printed one side of the sheet with the DMG pages and the other with the Monster Manual pages

must reprint or splice pages to create same. not just use MM pages.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

You can say that again... :D

Let mirth prevail!

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 3:36 pm 

I take this to mean that the pages all have DMG on one side and MM on the other side - so it's not as simple as taking a chunk of the MM and putting it in a DMG. On the other hand, the photo in this particular auction does not establish the alternating sheets.
-yes.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 3:38 pm 

Rakeesh sah Tarna wrote:- two sides of same sheet. not so easy except in china.

Let's see, r/t plane ticket to China:  $780.

Cost of printing & binding 25 - 50 DMG/MMs:  probably $100.

Tempting, no?

Let mirth prevail!

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 3:39 pm 

Let's see, r/t plane ticket to China:  $780.
Cost of printing & binding 25 - 50 DMG/MMs:  probably $100.
Tempting, no?
- lol

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 3:40 pm 

Heh, its still possible though.  

One thing that I would suggest though that if you are looking for more pictures of that book, YOU DO NOT LOOK THROUGH THAT SELLERS OTHER PHOTOS.  Not only are there some NSFW pictures in there, but they are actually quite disgusting.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 4:04 pm 

I distinctly remember another acaeum member posting that they had a copy of this book . . .  I don't think I've seen them in awhile (and they weren't a very frequent, 500+ poster) . . . but I can't for the life of me remember who it was.

Anyone remember?

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 4:27 pm 

Yeah, I've been racking (or wracking) my brain trying to remember who that was...

For some reason Paul keeps coming to mind, but I don't think it was him.  

How about the guy who sold his ST1 privately on the site about 1 1/2 years ago?

Let mirth prevail!

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 4:31 pm 

bombadil wrote:Yeah, I've been racking (or wracking) my brain trying to remember who that was...

For some reason Paul keeps coming to mind, but I don't think it was him.  

How about the guy who sold his ST1 privately on the site about 1 1/2 years ago?

Paul would be right, because I think Stormber posted he had one in his initial research post about DMG printings.  However . . . I am thinking of someone else.

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 4:36 pm 

Well, I just bumped all the pertinent threads that I could find on the subject. I didn't read through all of them though. Perhaps if its not listed in any of those threads, Paul may remember himself as he is the one who did all the research on the 1st print DMG.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 4:37 pm 

bclarkie wrote:Well, I just bumped all the pertinent threads that I could find on the subject. I didn't read through all of them though. Perhaps if its not listed in any of those threads, Paul may remember himself as he is the one who did all the research on the 1st print DMG.

Just found it clarkie and I bumped it up.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 4:47 pm 

bclarkie wrote:Oh and I hate to break it everyone, but 2 extremely important things:

2)  Secondly and even more importantly, a price like this is certainly going to potentially encourage others to at least attempt to do so.

Something to think about....

Well, I admit I was slightly surprised at the last three bids, but we all knew this was going for a bundle, didn't we?  The aforementioned "big guns" were interested after all.  :wink:

Legit?  We don't know, except on the word of the seller.  Hopefully if the winner is an Acaeum member, they'll be so kind as to provide a detailed analysis of the book.

In any event, there's always someone willing to risk at least a couple hundred bucks on these auctions.  I'm sure we'll see more in the future, if only that people will be encouraged to check their copies.  Perhaps a fake or two, but I really think most scammers realize there are easier ways to make money if you're willing to be dishonest.

YIM  
PreviousNext