Question about cover protection....
Author

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 11:22 pm 

Hello all, been a long time lurker and I dont post much but I thought I might ask here before I go about my search...

Whats the best way to cover protect hardback core books...like a DMG.  I remember back in the days of my youth there was the old school paper bag method.  Or if you had the cash you could buy a Dragonskin...if Im remembering correctly they were a black plastic like outer shell (though I remember that they kinda stuck to the cover too).

These days is there a product or home remedy to protect the book and its outer shell?

Thanks!

MadMal

Okay, I can't help but ask, but what exactly is a "potato wedger"? - bclarkie

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 11:44 pm 

MadMaligor wrote:Hello all, been a long time lurker and I dont post much but I thought I might ask here before I go about my search...

Whats the best way to cover protect hardback core books...like a DMG.  I remember back in the days of my youth there was the old school paper bag method.  Or if you had the cash you could buy a Dragonskin...if Im remembering correctly they were a black plastic like outer shell (though I remember that they kinda stuck to the cover too).

These days is there a product or home remedy to protect the book and its outer shell?

Thanks!

MadMal

Don't use Dragonskin, it indeed sticks to the cover and places a sticky residue on it.

I have a Wilderness Survival Guide and a Dungeoneer's Survival Guide that I have to leave the covers on so as to not have them stick to anything else.

I believe they sell a book bag that is like the comic book bags that the books can be stored in.

I believe one source is Noble Knight Games (on the net).

I myself do not place my books in bags but others on the forum may have done so.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 8:27 pm 

I used to cover my school books in CLEAR VINYL.

Don't reccomend it for books of value - the covers tend to stick after a while.

But it's VERY good for books that see a lot of use. The stuff is tough as hell and available at just about any fabric store. With the added bonus of being able to see which book is which.

EDIT - forgot to mention that if you go to the store, you dont have to buy a whole roll - just what you need.

Dave, get the barbarian in the corner a drink, quick!

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 11:53 pm 

There are several older threads that have dealt with this subject.  Here is a link to one of them:

http://www.acaeum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3036&highlight=sheet+music+bags

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 12:49 am 

MadMaligor wrote:I remember back in the days of my youth there was the old school paper bag method.

I STILL use the old school paper bag method.  I do have a dragonskin, and fortunately the book that it contains hasn't been marred by stickiness, probably due to the gloss finish of the book cover.  There's something though about the durability of a paper bag cover that just can't be beat.

Verbose Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 7:20 am 

The later dragonskins didn't appear to have the issue of the plastic reacting with, and adhering to books.  I suspect they changed the type of plastic they were using.  I've got a few that are permanently protected...  

You can take them off, but the book finish is permanently damaged.

I sealed some of my first beater copies in clear plastic laminate film to keep them from falling apart.  It's held up to this day!

The best solution, though, was to put books that fell apart at the binding into a comb binder.  So easy to use.

I have a few that I never used.  Didn't want to take the chance.  Anyone interested? :)

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 9:03 am 

Hmmm...  I've got a roll of leather-like wallpaper sitting around, but I'm sure the adhesive on it would damage the cover.  any ideas on what I could use as a backing?

YIM  

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 11:06 am 

dbartman wrote:The later dragonskins didn't appear to have the issue of the plastic reacting with, and adhering to books.  I suspect they changed the type of plastic they were using.  I've got a few that are permanently protected...  

You can take them off, but the book finish is permanently damaged.

I sealed some of my first beater copies in clear plastic laminate film to keep them from falling apart.  It's held up to this day!

The best solution, though, was to put books that fell apart at the binding into a comb binder.  So easy to use.

I have a few that I never used.  Didn't want to take the chance.  Anyone interested? :)

If you pay shipping.  :lol:

Verbose Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 6:56 pm 

:lol:

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 9:34 pm 

Thanks everyone, appreciated the info and links!  :D

Okay, I can't help but ask, but what exactly is a "potato wedger"? - bclarkie