skinflint
Author

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 5:23 am 

Recently I bought two D&D items from a seller and when I asked him if he was prepared to combine shipping (since both books could, well you know, kind of go in the same envelope...  :wink:  ) he replied that he didn't do combined shipping.  One reason being that it was "to cover the lower selling prices of RPG's on E-bay the moment."

At least he was being honest  :roll:

Let's go fly a kite
Up to the highest height!

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 5:45 am 

Shipping is the most stressful thing about Ebay. If the Seller decides to rip you off, there is really very little recourse. I usually buy modules in lots of 4 to 5, and I have been charged (this is from US to Australia) anywhere from $10 to, wait for it, $35 for standard airmail. Then you receive the package with a $15 stamp on it. If you ask about the profit margin, its packaging and time or some such.

If your Seller said what he said then he is overcharging on shipping, and getting an additional profit from each envelope. Sellers that do that are real *&$%#&@*

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 6:02 am 

Bus, this is what to do: Pay him for one package. When it arrives, pay for the next. You are perfectly within your rights to do so, and it prevents him from pocketing money at your expense.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 6:03 am 

at the end of the day, if they SAY so in the listing, you know where you stand.

at least at that point, the decision is in your hands and you can just walk away if you want to - not that i think its right now....but you know what i mean.

what i HATE more than anything though, is when it doesnt say at all, the shipping isnt cheap and you wait at the end for the seller to do the right thing. they invoice you and its NOT combined, so you then mention it, only to get told, sorry but you didnt mention it so this is the invoice.

now THAT fu**s me off big-stylee.

but hey at least i can then decide to ban them from bidding on any of my things and totally ignore them in the future. thats happened to me on a few occasions - very poor stuff.

Al

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 7:28 am 

Deadlord39 wrote:Bus, this is what to do: Pay him for one package. When it arrives, pay for the next. You are perfectly within your rights to do so, and it prevents him from pocketing money at your expense.

Thats what I would do.

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 7:37 am 

I think it is a great idea.  I will let you know how he responds  :twisted:  :twisted:

Let's go fly a kite

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 7:50 am 

red_bus wrote:I think it is a great idea.  I will let you know how he responds  :twisted:  :twisted:

yeah i think frank has it about right there. i know he has done that before and i remember thinking at the time, that the next time it occurs i am going to do that too.

seems really silly but hey if ppl dont want to be sensible and fair, well you gotta deal with it in the same way.

let us know how it goes :)

Al

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 4:18 pm 

make sure you pay him throught paypal in 2 seperate transactions;) that way when 1 package arrives with both items in it, just tell him that you will recover the money through paypal for one of the packages that didn't arrive... I would imagine that he will need proof of 2 mailings and not 1, so we can assume that he obviosly didn't send you one of the items if he can only show 1 postage!

Brette:)

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 5:18 pm 

Thanks for the tips.

I sent him a nice polite email - told him not to worry about not combining postage - I will be paying for just one item at the moment, and the other one later.  Let's see...

Let's go fly a kite