The curious case of the three-page rant in the old PHB
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 1:08 am 

Xaxaxe wrote:

Okay, whatever you say. I'm not sure who are to be doing all of this judging, but, apparently, not all of us have picked your path to happiness or career success or financial security or whatever is important to you.

I work in an industry that often requires moving (literally) to move up (the fabled "ladder"). I won't bore you with my resume, but I also won't apologize for not meeting your standard of stability.

Sir, no judgement or condemnation imputed or implied. Your life history is just radically different than mine. It must suck to have to move so many times, that's all. I consider myself fortunate to be able to remember when the 30 foot Norwegian Spruce in my front yard was 10 feet high. I consider myself blessed to be able to enjoy the fruits of all of our landscaping labors. I raised two children in this house (for most of their years, anyway) and I'm glad that they feel like they are "coming home" when they come to visit. I delight in the fact that my grandkids know my house as well as they do.

If you took offense at my comments, sorry. None was intended.

I was simply commenting on how different mine was. I now that my experience is out of the ordinary. Heck, I've never ever minded being considered different our out of the ordinary (If I used the word extraordinary would you accuse me of overweening pride when what I mean is "out of the ordinary?); at certain stages of my life I took pride in the distinction.

When I wish to be mean-spirited, vindictive, sarcastic or condemning I am usually not misunderstood; I speak very plainly when circumstances warrant. None of those nuances were aimed at you.

I will no longer post on this thread.

Nemesis of the Annoyingly Dense
Guidelines, not rules...

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 1:19 am 

Thanks for your comments, K. To be clear, I thought the entire thread was getting a little negative, but I used some of your words as a convenient jumping-off point. That wasn't entirely fair on my part.

Actually, I probably would not have commented at all, except that by hosting the images of those three pages, I sort of felt "responsible" for this thread. Now that I type that, I see that it's not really rational. Message-board threads, as well all know, will often go wherever they feel like going.  :)

Anyway, definitely no harm done either way, I think.

And I'm still interested in a question that probably will never be answered here: did this individual's obvious (if a little over-the-top) passion for the D&D game continue for a few more years or did he quickly grow out of it?  Or, God forbid, is he still that passionate today? 8O Is he/was he that passionate about other aspects of his life? I have to admit, the whole thing sort of fascinates me.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 3:30 am 

Kosh--where is the "D&D museum in Florida" you mentioned in the earlier post on this thread, and do they have a website I/we can access over the Internet?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 1:12 pm 

sleepyCO wrote:Kosh--where is the "D&D museum in Florida" you mentioned in the earlier post on this thread, and do they have a website I/we can access over the Internet?

Sorry wrong place. I thought it was to be a museeum but it is not (from the pics it should be though)

There is one in New York with a website:
http://rdushay.home.mindspring.com/Museum/Index.html

If you want to call it a museum :?

"Ah, you seek meaning? Then listen to the music, not the song."

"I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 1:15 pm 

Kosh Vorlontay wrote:
Sorry wrong place. I thought it was to be a museeum but it is not (from the pics it should be though)

There is one in New York with a website:
http://rdushay.home.mindspring.com/Museum/Index.html

If you want to call it a museum :?

And here I was thinking that you were refering to I/Os lair:

viewtopic.php?t=2657&highlight=lair

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 1:20 pm 

I'd be really surprised if the guy didn't game for a long, long time after that rant. Anyone who can write that well at 13 years old has got more than rocks in their head, and with that kind of passion about the game, I'd put money on him gaming long after. My guess would be he created his own system though.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 1:38 pm 

Wonder if "that system" he created would have been the "dreaded" 8O  3rd edition or the 3.5 edition? :lol:

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 1:45 pm 

GraysonAC wrote:Anyone who can write that well

Ok, just picking on Grayson because he's the last person that mentioned this point.  He wasn't the only one.

Do you guys really consider that writing to be good?  Even for a 13 year old?  8O

YIM  

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 2:13 pm 

Why does this thread now sound like a H.P. Lovecraft story.  8O

~Clangador
---------------

Black Blade Publishing imprint of OSRIC is not only the most definitive printing of OSRIC to date, but also the single greatest resource for old school gamers since the three original hardbacks written by E. Gary Gygax.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 2:58 pm 

clangador wrote:Why does this thread now sound like a H.P. Lovecraft story.  8O

:)

I usually try not to alter my thread titles, but I liked the old one less and less.

deimos3428 wrote:Do you guys really consider that writing to be good?  Even for a 13 year old?  8O

This is just a guess (obviously), but it initially struck me as being written in a burst of energy, so I'd give him a little bit of a break for that. Still, I'm not sure I'd go as far as "good" ... as I've mentioned before, this manifesto strikes me as more passionate than skilled.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 3:02 pm 

deimos3428 wrote:Ok, just picking on Grayson because he's the last person that mentioned this point.  He wasn't the only one.

Do you guys really consider that writing to be good?  Even for a 13 year old?  8O

I'm not sure I'd consider it good, but it is "interesting."  8O

~Clangador
---------------

Black Blade Publishing imprint of OSRIC is not only the most definitive printing of OSRIC to date, but also the single greatest resource for old school gamers since the three original hardbacks written by E. Gary Gygax.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 3:04 pm 

Xaxaxe wrote:I usually try not to alter my thread titles, but I liked the old one less and less.

I have a theory. This guy is actually a Deep One. That's why he was so upset, and just used the changes from OD&D to AD&D for something to vent over.

~Clangador
---------------

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 3:59 pm 

bclarkie wrote:
And here I was thinking that you were refering to I/Os lair:

viewtopic.php?t=2657&highlight=lair

Originally I was but I could not remember if the Lair was to be a museum or every gamers fantasy gaming spot :lol:

"Ah, you seek meaning? Then listen to the music, not the song."

"I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 9:01 am 

This rant is not an unusual artifact of the times. I find it has a certain raw charm. I knew a few others who felt similarly out in California during the relevant time period.

Looking for your old-school fantasy roleplaying fix? Don't despair...Fight On! Check it out at http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/FightOn.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 9:08 am 

deimos3428 wrote:Ok, just picking on Grayson because he's the last person that mentioned this point.  He wasn't the only one.

Speaking from direct experience....yes, it is pretty good for a middle school student.

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Collector

Post Posted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 1:42 pm 

FormCritic wrote:
Speaking from direct experience....yes, it is pretty good for a middle school student.

Are you a teacher?  I wish I had been able to write half as coherently as this kid when I was 13.  If I were his English teacher I'd have enjoyed reading his stuff as opposed to the boring dreck I wrote when I was 13... as far as the high emotions go, I'd ascribe that to being 13... plus I think he probably just enjoyed spilling a little bile on the page.  
A boy needs some emotional outlets when he is that age.  I used firecrackers.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 3:23 pm 

dorentir wrote:
Are you a teacher?  I wish I had been able to write half as coherently as this kid when I was 13.  If I were his English teacher I'd have enjoyed reading his stuff as opposed to the boring dreck I wrote when I was 13... as far as the high emotions go, I'd ascribe that to being 13... plus I think he probably just enjoyed spilling a little bile on the page.  
A boy needs some emotional outlets when he is that age.  I used firecrackers.

Yes.

Jim's angry pen is interesting reading.  He is pretty articulate for a 7th grader and his rant is no more deranged than some other online posts about gaming books and rules editions.

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 4:31 pm 

FormCritic wrote:Jim's angry pen is interesting reading.  He is pretty articulate for a 7th grader and his rant is no more deranged than some other online posts about gaming books and rules editions.

And more coherent than most of those rants too. :)

PreviousNext