The curious case of the three-page rant in the old PHB
Author

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 11:49 pm 

Traveller wrote:gyg, you got his alignment wrong.  Try Chaotic Deluded.

Fair enough - though we could do this forever - fill in the balnks for yourselves:-

Chaotic ________!

(I feel that chaotic Stupid has a nice ring to it :D

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 8:10 am 

How about Chaotic Neurotic?

That would cover most of the effects described by a Dr. George Boeree:

"...anxiety, sadness or depression, anger, irritability, mental confusion, low sense of self-worth, etc., behavioral symptoms such as phobic avoidance, vigilance, impulsive and compulsive acts, lethargy, etc., cognitive problems such as unpleasant or disturbing thoughts, repetition of thoughts and obsession, habitual fantasizing, negativity and cynicism, etc. Interpersonally, neurosis involves dependency, aggressiveness, perfectionism, schizoid isolation, socio-culturally inappropriate behaviors, etc."

:lol:

JasonW

Check out my Chaosium sourcebook.
Secrets of Tibet

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 2:05 am 

Actually, counting a start at what was probably his parents' home, Jim Perelman has moved roughly once every two years since he became an adult...which is above average for an American of his age, but not that far above average.

My guess is that he kept playing...other games if not D&D.

His age is dead on for a gamer who started just before AD&D came out.

Didn't anyone here ever write anything pompous or foolish when they were a kid?

Mark   8)

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 2:11 am 

The Collector's Trove wrote:Howdy All,

Jim Perelman a.k.a. James Phillip Perelman has lived in California all of his life. He is now 43 years old.

He has lived in:

Concord
San Fransico (2 addresses)
Santa Cruz (2 addresses)
Tarzana
Beverly Hills (2 addresses)
West Hollywood
Walnut Creek
Mountain View

He does not have a listed phone number or address. I can find out more but I don't really have any desire to spend $50 to do so.

Futures Bright,

Paul

How did you track down this info?

Mark   8)

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 4:27 am 

MShipley88 wrote:Actually, counting a start at what was probably his parents' home, Jim Perelman has moved roughly once every two years since he became an adult...which is above average for an American of his age, but not that far above average.

My guess is that he kept playing...other games if not D&D.

His age is dead on for a gamer who started just before AD&D came out.

Didn't anyone here ever write anything pompous or foolish when they were a kid?

Mark   8)

What makes you think he still plays? Just curious.

~Clangador
---------------

Black Blade Publishing imprint of OSRIC is not only the most definitive printing of OSRIC to date, but also the single greatest resource for old school gamers since the three original hardbacks written by E. Gary Gygax.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 7:04 am 

Chaotic unneccisary? that's always been my fave

wow... someone had too much time on their hands... tracking the guy down.. ahahah.. I wonder if he even remebers half his rantings?

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 9:45 am 

MShipley88 wrote:How did you track down this info?

Scrying?

He used an online search engine like [Zabaweb? Zombasearch? Zubaweb?  Z-something . . . ] that looks for information on people.

I did a search on myself and found the information to be accurate enough.  It included people with similar names, so addresses were listed for those people, too.

Scarier than finding my personal information was finding the links to relatives and family members.  I don't know how the search engine is able to correlate such relationships --- our sharing of past addresses? Birth certificates? School records?  Contact information on bills or legal documents?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 9:55 am 

JohnGaunt wrote:Scrying?

He used an online search engine like [Zabaweb? Zombasearch? Zubaweb?  Z-something . . . ] that looks for information on people.

I did a search on myself and found the information to be accurate enough.  It included people with similar names, so addresses were listed for those people, too.

Scarier than finding my personal information was finding the links to relatives and family members.  I don't know how the search engine is able to correlate such relationships --- our sharing of past addresses? Birth certificates? School records?  Contact information on bills or legal documents?

I subscribe to URAPI....basically a service that P.I.s use to track people (although I'm sure they use the highly upgraded version).  It's scary how much information is out there available for free if you have a name address, or a licence plate number. If you have even more info (social, birthdate, Driver's liscence number) you can basically get anything you want on someone.

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 8:00 pm 

Why all this interest in this guy?  8O

~Clangador
---------------

Black Blade Publishing imprint of OSRIC is not only the most definitive printing of OSRIC to date, but also the single greatest resource for old school gamers since the three original hardbacks written by E. Gary Gygax.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 8:18 pm 

Clangador:

Some of us are interested in tracking down the author of an amusing rant written on the flyleaves of a Players Handbook.

It would be interesting to hear what kind of a guy he is now...and if he kept on gaming after his rant.

Mark   8)

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 8:23 pm 

MShipley88 wrote:Clangador:

Some of us are interested in tracking down the author of an amusing rant written on the flyleaves of a Players Handbook.

It would be interesting to hear what kind of a guy he is now...and if he kept on gaming after his rant.

Mark   8)

Considering the rant itself, does that really sound like a good idea? Yea, I guess you can't be pummeled to death over the phone or e-mail, but the guy doesn't sound very - oh I don't know how to describe it - friendly/stable.  8O

~Clangador
---------------

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 8:29 pm 

To me, he sounds no less stable than any other junior high gamer.

I am curious about him.

Mark   8)

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 8:58 pm 

MShipley88 wrote:To me, he sounds no less stable than any other junior high gamer.

I am curious about him.

Mark   8)

The writing seemed pretty good to me - for a 13-year old that is. I don't recall THAT much how good a writer I was, but I do recall I never went through that kind of "teenage angst," and for that matter, neither did anyone in my close circle of gaming buddies.

~Clangador
---------------

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 5:40 pm 

I'm taking down the photos I was hosting, as I'm not real comfortable with the direction this thread is taking. Good-natured ribbing and speculating about this person's extreme ... uh ... "passion," I guess, is one thing; vicious personal attacks and the posting of personal information on a public forum is quite another.

There's still the entire text available, not to mention that there's about 200 other options for places to host the photos, so maybe I'm just spitting against the wind here. Whatever; I just don't want to be a part of some of the ugliness I'm seeing here.

+++++

One last thought:

Kaskoid wrote:he has had 11 addresses in 23 years? What can we assume from that fact?

I've had at least that many in that time frame; probably more like 15. Here's what you can "assume" about me: husband, father, brother, homeowner, taxpayer, no police record, and ... I like to think ... a good friend and generally responsible person.

Assuming anything based on a person's address history is the height of absurdity. I moved around mostly because I work in an industry that often requires it; our subject in this thread could easily have a similar reason.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 11:27 pm 

Xaxaxe--you need to loosen up a little. We're just having some fun and you make it sound like we're setting out on a vendetta or something.

Whether he knew it or not, was 13 or not, he wrote it and sold it and put it into the public domain when he sold it.

15 addresses in 23 years is quite a total; I have lived in my present home for almost 26 years. In my 57 years on this mortal coil I have had 10 addresses; three as a kid growing up, 4 in 4 years in college (about normal for college), and two since college. (I assume where I was stationed while serving four years in the US Navy don't count against me, as I had no say-so, the fact of the Draft, etc.) I guess I screwed up the average, eh?

"Personal attacks"? C'mon, is anybody carrying a gun, fer Chrissakes? Whether you are 13 or 33, if you choose to make inflammatory and outrageous remarks and rants, expect some feedback. Or do you suppose he was locked in with the Count of Monte Christo when he wrote his little screed, or perhaps immured in some prison somewhere?

Now who's being a bit excessive? When I made my original comment, I was not aware that the diatribe he wrote was so old, or that he was so young and immature when he wrote it.

Nemesis of the Annoyingly Dense
Guidelines, not rules...

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 12:14 am 

Kaskoid wrote:
15 addresses in 23 years is quite a total; I have lived in my present home for almost 26 years. In my 57 years on this mortal coil I have had 10 addresses; three as a kid growing up, 4 in 4 years in college (about normal for college), and two since college. (I assume where I was stationed while serving four years in the US Navy don't count against me, as I had no say-so, the fact of the Draft, etc.) I guess I screwed up the average, eh?

Totally off topic I know, but just sitting around doing some idle calculations, I don't have a single family member (mother, father, two brothers) or close friend (I chose the 7 main guys I played D&D with and hung out with in high school) that have lived at a single address in the last 25 years longer than say 10 years.  Most have moved many times; I finally came in at 10 moves in the last 25 years and that includes two stints of 7 years each (the longest I have lived at any single address in my life!). My friend in the Airforce, I lost track at about 30 moves since high school (and he only joined the Airforce in 1989 or so)..he tended to move quite a bit in college, sometimes twice a semester (when you don't pay your rent they dont want you around!).  What this proves, I have no idea, but I think there is a slight generation gap among those who have spent a significant piece of their life in one place and those who take it for granted they are going to pack up and roll every couple of years or so...
(For the record, I have had 20 different addresses in my entire 43 years on earth, but a lot of those were racked up in my first 7 years or so when my family moved a lot due to my father being in the air force and then taking a job selling mobile homes that took him all over Texas) So in conclusion, 15 addresses in 23 years might not be that unusual depending on this guy's line of work.

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 12:21 am 

Kaskoid wrote:We're just having some fun

If you say so. I've re-read your posts here, along with some others, and I'm not seeing the "fun."

Kaskoid wrote:15 addresses in 23 years is quite a total

Okay, whatever you say. I'm not sure who are to be doing all of this judging, but, apparently, not all of us have picked your path to happiness or career success or financial security or whatever is important to you.

I work in an industry that often requires moving (literally) to move up (the fabled "ladder"). I won't bore you with my resume, but I also won't apologize for not meeting your standard of stability.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 12:47 am 

You know, it just proves he wasn't a mama's boy living in his parents basement. Tough getting dates to come over if you live like that 8)

Me personally, I haven't lived in the same place for over 2 years since 1989. I tend to get sick of looking out the window and seeing the same thing every day. That is why I moved/transferred to Washington state. Excellent mountain views and you see something new on the horizon every day (though traffic is a bitch here. I swear that every time a speck of rain drops, people here universally drop their speed by 10-15 mph instantaniously. MShipley88 can vouch for that. Very bad traffic :x ).

"Ah, you seek meaning? Then listen to the music, not the song."

"I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

PreviousNext