The curious case of the three-page rant in the old PHB
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 7:41 pm 

gyg wrote:Excellent stuff - some well reasoned points in there :lol:

(eg.  - he must have been so thrilled when 3E arived and sorted out the little irritations!)

Maybe he DID write 3e!!

"before chuck even gets in the room, you can feel the bad-ness." -Al

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 12:09 pm 

The Wraith wrote:Speak for yourself. I jumped from 12 to 14.

I don't know if you are joking or not, but I had two 12th birthdays.
Not that we were superstitous or anything, we just forgot.  Either that, or Mom didn't want to buy two boxes of candles -- they were sold in packs of 12.  :?

YIM  

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 3:21 pm 

Deimos> you.. forgot? wtf? *amused*

god that rant was hilarious... sure some of his points are valid.. but the bile... the time and effort taken to write that.. and is it just me or does the pen change colour halfway? think he ran out of ink?

Oh man... so much quotable material there.. it's glorious. I'm gonna add Bimbo to the end of my rants now... it's just priceless

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 12:14 am 

Speaking of assholes...

This micro-brain is just the type we were always afraid would discover the game.

Mr. Microcephalic needs to get a real life. He sounds just exactly like the type of narrow-minded, self aggrandizing twit that would devote his gaming life to playing a Chaotic character. And playing it poorly, I might add.

I can hardly stop laughing at the fact that he quotes Homer. Perhaps if he lives long enough to get to college and STUDY Homer he might see just how asinine that is... Nahhh, he's obviously already full of all the knowledge he thinks he'll ever need.

Someone really needs to slap the stupid out of that boy and hope that the space vacated will be used for smarts that might enable him to become toilet trained and learn to feed himself.

Nemesis of the Annoyingly Dense
Guidelines, not rules...

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 12:39 am 

It's a 1e PHB, according to the original thread ... I'm guessing it was written in the neighborhood of 25 years ago. College, Homer, etc., is all long in the past now, I would imagine.

Or am I missing something? Did I miss a post on establishing when this was actually authored?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 2:39 am 

25 years gone.

I bet he played AD&D for another 15 years after he wrote that rant.

When I compare that kid's 13 year old writing powers to what I know (first hand) is an average 13 year old's writing...well...not bad, even through the bile.

He'd probably pass the WASL.

Mark

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 2:39 am 

No idea how I double posted.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 3:03 am 

MShipley88 wrote:No idea how I double posted.

Its okay of you inadvertantly double post to just go ahead and delete it you know. Really no need to rewrite the second post and say "Double post".  That little x that appears on the top right hand corner of the post you made is to delete the post.  As long as no one has already posted after you, you can go ahead and delete it. :?

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 3:09 am 

I actually love the fact that kid who wrote it was apparently already not content with the previous material and yet still went out and bought it any way.  The other thing that I think is totally hysterical is the fact that EGG created the game and yet he totally crucifies EGG for writing the same game that the kid supposedly likes. He writes like EGG just came in off the street and ruined this game:  

"EGG how dare you write this game that I love. You ruined it, you poo poo head!!"

Its just so off the wall. :?  :lol:

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 12:57 pm 

One thing to remember about what this kid wrote:

This kid was writing at a time when Gygax was regularly printing pompous and downright silly opinions about the gaming industry in his Socerer's Scroll column in Dragon.

There was a time, back in the day...not long after AD&D came out...when it was fashionable in certain gaming circles to malign Gary Gygax as an egomaniac or a fool.  

Gygax had managed to create an unfavorable impression of himself as an industry boor, and there were a huge number of critics of the actual game mechanics.  Remember that one of the stated purposes of the AD&D rules was to enforce a certain level of uniformity on Dungeons and Dragons...partly as an aid to the idea of tournament gaming.  This was not popular with everyone...in the same way that the 3.5 rules are not popular with everyone.  

This was the same time when it was fashionable for sophisticated gamers to switch to other game systems that were "more realistic."  This was known as "system snobbery."  Ring any bells?  

TSR was acting to protect the D&D trademark and keep the company's position as the "proprietors" of adventure gaming.  The OD&D books were still available, sharing the shelf with a large number of D&D knock-offs, unauthorized supplements and wonderfully zany extras (Arduin).  Gygax's attitude toward these renegade rules sets was not accomodating, and it made him seem like a bully at times.

This kid's diatribe is a nice artifact of the times.  (Which is why I also think he kept on gaming well into adulthood...he obviously had the passion.)  Like movies about disco rollerskating or vampires wearing sunscreen, his essay is an instant time capsule of its specific era.

Mark

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 2:22 am 

Bump

Well...I've been pondering what to do with this item when suddenly I thought to myself...SELF...what if we sent this around to the various collectors/players of the forum so that they can enjoy the 'Re-write' of the PHB?

Have as many people as possible sign it (backside of end flyleaf and inner rear cover), write and insert their own edit of what they think was wrong with the PHB at the time, then send it down to the D&D museum guys down in Florida (IO IIRC), to display to the adult (due to content!) crowd.

We can keep a running post here of who has it and what they "edited" in it so as to keep a "historical record" of all the edits for the PHB. You can even argue the merits of someone elses submitted changes (but be nice!)

Who wants it first? :)

"Ah, you seek meaning? Then listen to the music, not the song."

"I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 10:21 am 

Kosh Vorlontay wrote:Bump

Well...I've been pondering what to do with this item when suddenly I thought to myself...SELF...what if we sent this around to the various collectors/players of the forum so that they can enjoy the 'Re-write' of the PHB?

Have as many people as possible sign it (backside of end flyleaf and inner rear cover), write and insert their own edit of what they think was wrong with the PHB at the time, then send it down to the D&D museum guys down in Florida (IO IIRC), to display to the adult (due to content!) crowd.

We can keep a running post here of who has it and what they "edited" in it so as to keep a "historical record" of all the edits for the PHB. You can even argue the merits of someone elses submitted changes (but be nice!)

Who wants it first? :)

Funny.  Love the round robin idea.  If you send it Texas way, Iknow I can get at least myself and Kingofpain to have a go at it.  Maybe we could get some of the other TX Acaeum guys...if not, then just send it on!  As much as I ship to Acaeum members ( I have packages gone/going to Ian in the UK and Brendon in Australia just this week) maybe someone here would order something from me...and in the package it would go. Sounds fun.  PM if you want my mailing address....

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 11:06 am 

Sounds fun.

Hey, wouldn't it be funny if Jim Perelman turned out to be the real name of someone on the Acaeum?

Mark  (If that is my real name.)   8)

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 1:41 pm 

Howdy All,

Jim Perelman a.k.a. James Phillip Perelman has lived in California all of his life. He is now 43 years old.

He has lived in:

Concord
San Fransico (2 addresses)
Santa Cruz (2 addresses)
Tarzana
Beverly Hills (2 addresses)
West Hollywood
Walnut Creek
Mountain View

He does not have a listed phone number or address. I can find out more but I don't really have any desire to spend $50 to do so.

Futures Bright,

Paul

The Collector's Trove The online auction house that features the collections of game designers and artists.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 2:02 pm 

The Collector's Trove wrote:Howdy All,

Jim Perelman a.k.a. James Phillip Perelman has lived in California all of his life. He is now 43 years old.

He has lived in:

Concord
San Fransico (2 addresses)
Santa Cruz (2 addresses)
Tarzana
Beverly Hills (2 addresses)
West Hollywood
Walnut Creek
Mountain View

He does not have a listed phone number or address. I can find out more but I don't really have any desire to spend $50 to do so.

Futures Bright,

Paul

Do you actually think this guy is still playing in light of his rantings about AD&D?

~Clangador
---------------

Black Blade Publishing imprint of OSRIC is not only the most definitive printing of OSRIC to date, but also the single greatest resource for old school gamers since the three original hardbacks written by E. Gary Gygax.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 7:02 pm 

Badmike wrote:
Funny.  Love the round robin idea.  
Mike B.

Mike were you in the Air Force?

"I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 7:46 pm 

Kosh Vorlontay wrote:
Mike were you in the Air Force?

No, but my dad was....and my wife builds F-16s (the computer systems, that is).  Other than that......

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 8:29 pm 

Badmike wrote:
No, but my dad was....and my wife builds F-16s (the computer systems, that is).  Other than that......

Mike B.

Ahh....well round robin is a term used on installation flightlines for ground refueling of an aircraft

PreviousNext