Locating the owner of a previously owned book
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 6:07 pm 

I have a 1st ed, 2nd print PHB that used to belong to a Jim Perelman

He obtained this book when he was 13

He wrote a 3 page editorial on the flyleaves flaming Gary Gygax for messing up D&D. I would guess from his writing that he was woodgrain player.

Apparently he thinks 'hobbit' should be the correct term used instead of 'halfling'. This is according to his re-write of the entire handbook. There are notes and annotations galore in this book, whole paragraphs x'ed out and new ones written, tables that are described as "This table smokes farty eggs!", reworked spells and the spell progression tables are noteed as being wrong wiht a note refering to the "yellow ref cards" (JG 28 Judges Shield) and Alarums and Excursions. I did not know that 13 year olds had such a colorfull language set back then.  

It's hillarious :D .

Anyway, I just wanted to know if anyone knows, or knows of him. If you could get this out to your gaming circles/forums it would be cool to find him and return his "Edited" PHB to him :)

Another name written in it (inside cover) is Carol Perelman with a note above that says "Return to Hawk"

Investigators of the Acaeum unite!

"Ah, you seek meaning? Then listen to the music, not the song."

"I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 12:04 am 

A bell rang when you mentioned the name, but it might be a false alarm. The name seems VERY familiar.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 2:25 am 

Kosh...where did you find the book?  Was it in Puyallup, or did you get it from some other part of the country?

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 2:51 am 

MShipley88 wrote:Kosh...where did you find the book?  Was it in Puyallup, or did you get it from some other part of the country?

Good luck finding D&D items in POO-YALL-UP. Nope, I got it in an auction lot off ebay. Seller described it as having "some" writing in it.  8O  That redefined "some" for me. Sheesh

Anyway...seller was reberzack from GLENDALE, CA

"I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 2:54 am 

I have had good success by assuming that an individual might stay in the same region of the country and using an online phone book and some logical guesses.

James Perelman in California.

Sounds like he was older than 13 when he wrote in the book.

I love these kinds of notations and pieces of information.  To a romantic, they are like messages in a bottle.

Mark

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 3:08 am 

MShipley88 wrote:I have had good success by assuming that an individual might stay in the same region of the country and using an online phone book and some logical guesses.

James Perelman in California.

Sounds like he was older than 13 when he wrote in the book.

I love these kinds of notations and pieces of information.  To a romantic, they are like messages in a bottle.

Mark

I would have to say he was 13, since he wrote it in a parenthetical right after his name.  If I can get the pages scanned I would like to get them posted here. I just need to figure out where to upload them and link them into a post.  Would make for some comical/interesting reading :)

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 4:56 am 

Kosh Vorlontay wrote:I just need to figure out where to upload them and link them into a post.

I'll host them for you — just email me a handful of the "best" pages.

[email protected]

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 5:10 am 

Xaxaxe wrote:I'll host them for you — just email me a handful of the "best" pages.

[email protected]

Thanks, but it will have wait till 7am, I need some sleep (is it really 2:10am!?!?!) Blah, blah, blah.....zzzzzzzz

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 6:41 pm 

Threadjacking!

Okay, I'm hosting three scans from Kosh ... and they are frickin' hysterical.  :D

I felt they were worthy of their own thread, so point your clicker here.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 2:04 am 

Bump

So....anyone know this guy...Frank?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 2:35 pm 

Kosh Vorlontay wrote:

Good luck finding D&D items in POO-YALL-UP. Nope, I got it in an auction lot off ebay. Seller described it as having "some" writing in it.  8O  That redefined "some" for me. Sheesh

Anyway...seller was reberzack from GLENDALE, CA

There is one used book store by the South Hill Mall that sells used D&D stuff.

~Clangador
---------------

Black Blade Publishing imprint of OSRIC is not only the most definitive printing of OSRIC to date, but also the single greatest resource for old school gamers since the three original hardbacks written by E. Gary Gygax.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 8:46 pm 

clangador wrote:

Been there, but they don't carry anything worthwhile plus they practically charge new book price on their used D&D books......anyway

Hey another Washingtonian, near me at that!

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:10 pm 

Ok...I bit.  This thread and story are incredibly rich to me.  I often wonder where the people are that wrote specific letters in Dragon magazine or that co-authored some of the obscure D&D material.  I always thought it would make for good fun to chase a few of these folks down and.....that is usually where the thought ends.  All I can think of then is to ask them if they still have some of their old D&D stuff they want to sell.   :lol:

Ok...Jim's name is very unusual.  I found only one so far in Nantucket, MA.  (508) 325-4782 is the number listed for him.  I nearly jumped to the phone to give it a shot but thought that honor should be reserved for the fellow with the book.  Good luck, from another fellow Washingtonian.  I will keep searching for a bit for more information on other Jim's of that name.

Andy

PS.  The book you now have is priceless in my opinion.  YOu got it for a song and a dance.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:38 pm 

The Jim I listed above is not him, I fear.  I did find reference to a Carole Perelman in Bev Hills California that has a listed relative Jim P Perelman.  Here is the link to a site that scalps folks for more information:
http://find.intelius.com/search-summary-out.php?ReportType=1&searchform=name

Still zooming on this...

...and a very recent email addy on the Carole in BH, CA:
[email protected]

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:58 am 

This being America, it's entirely possible he is Jane Perelman now.
Has anyone asked the seller where the book was obtained? A little backtracking might narrow down the search.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:02 am 

Boreas wrote:The Jim I listed above is not him, I fear.

Just so I am clear on this . . . anyone looking up information on Jim Perelman is doing so for shits-n-grins only.  No one will contact him in any way whatsoever, and no one will post any non-public information.

Or have I thrown in my lot with some crypto-cyber-stalkers?   :D

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:54 am 

JohnGaunt wrote:
Or have I thrown in my lot with some crypto-cyber-stalkers?   :D

Whoa Tonya!

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:39 pm 

clangador wrote:

I was at Half Price Books in Tacoma last night.  Yesterday, my best friend and I went on our annual jaunt to Portland.

Next