Our Favourite Reseller...
Author

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 5:18 pm 

Hey Frank, thanks for your advice on growing up. I'll take it especially serious since it comes from the most mature and manliest member of this forum.

Oh, wait! Now I remember something strange ... weren't you the guy who sold himself a "Lost Tamoachan" worth around 800 € in an eBay auction not even a year ago? Acting as a buyer with one of your fake eBay user names you sold it to another of your fake ebay user IDs for the princely sum of 5 US$. This happened 17 seconds after the start of the auction with the "buy it now" button. After this cunning deed, you posted to the NG to see what would happen. Yeah, Frank the Man you're a real grown-up!

Now let's see, how you "admitted your mistake when it was explained to you that it was wrong". On Jul 31 you wrote: "Yup, it's against eBay policy. OK, I change my vote. It is wrong to shill bid."

WOW!!! Now after reading that again, I instantly feel how deeply you were convinced that what you did was wrong. It becomes clear how much you wished to be able to undo the evil things you have done. Especially when you added two days later: "The speculation about my older accounts is amusing, and I think I will let it stand as is without clarification."

Frankie-boy, who's ever gonna trust a person who changes his opinions and eBay IDs as quickly as other people their underwear? The only thing you've got is your knowledge on collecting and your collection. As for character, you're a complete failure.

- "When the going gets weird, the Weird turn pro."

Hunter S. Thompson (July 18, 1937 - Feb 20, 2005)

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 11:55 pm 

Ralphie, are you in love with me?

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 2:49 am 

Whoaaa - get away from me!

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 3:12 am 

Just curious. You seem to have an obsession with me. Are you SURE you're not?..........

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 4:27 am 

Hey Phrank,

you may be dreaming about it, but I'm really not into men.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 9:03 am 

Deadlord36 wrote:And let's be realistic, in 5 years of heavy shipping and receiving via USPS, I have had 1 damaged package.

Hi Frank,

you're memories getting a bit short. :)

I quote from an email you sent me when the Wee Warriors item was damaged:

"This is only the second time they've ever damaged anything, but both times were overseas shipments (the other was Canada). "

In our business, we do get the occasional lost item, but only 1 or 2 a year.

Cheers,

Malcolm

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 9:48 am 

>Besides, probably 70% of payments now are through Paypal, and unless >the seller provides a traceable method of shipping (delivery confirmation, >insurance slip over $50, etc) then for 30 days he's on the hook for the >entire amount whether it arrived or not. I learned this the hard way after a >buyer got his item, decided it wasn't what he wanted, then cancelled the >Paypal transaction (instead of asking for a refund or credit, of course)...and >since the package had no DC or insurance I had no recourse, even though >he had sent me an email saying he recieved the item.

Isn't this another reason for the seller not to leave feedback until after the buyer does (or until after the 30 days has passed!)?

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 10:53 am 

zhowar1 wrote:>Besides, probably 70% of payments now are through Paypal, and unless >the seller provides a traceable method of shipping (delivery confirmation, >insurance slip over $50, etc) then for 30 days he's on the hook for the >entire amount whether it arrived or not. I learned this the hard way after a >buyer got his item, decided it wasn't what he wanted, then cancelled the >Paypal transaction (instead of asking for a refund or credit, of course)...and >since the package had no DC or insurance I had no recourse, even though >he had sent me an email saying he recieved the item.

Isn't this another reason for the seller not to leave feedback until after the buyer does (or until after the 30 days has passed!)?

No, it isn't.  What some of you seem not to realize is that buyers take a huge risk by sending their money for a product sight-unseen, based on nothing more than the feedback a seller has.  If a seller holds feedback 'hostage' waiting for a positive, it dilutes the entire system.  

I just bought an item from ebay; paid this morning; here is the email I received from the vendor:

"received your payment today

We will send your package out this week.  We also left feedback for you on

e-bay.  Please leave a comment for us when you receive your items.

Thanks again for your bids!"

This is how it is supposed to work.

Paul

"It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.  It is by the juice of Saphoo that thoughts aquire speed; the lips aquire stains; the stains become a warning.  It is by will alone I set my mind in motion."

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 10:56 am 

lawrenson wrote:In our business, we do get the occasional lost item, but only 1 or 2 a year.

Cheers,

Malcolm

Yes, and replacing/refunding those occasional lost items should be figured in as a cost of doing business...

Paul

"It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.  It is by the juice of Saphoo that thoughts aquire speed; the lips aquire stains; the stains become a warning.  It is by will alone I set my mind in motion."

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 11:09 am 

I stand corrected, one was the Wee Warriors and the other was a box of Magic cards. Hard to think straight with Rolf getting all excited over me. But the Canadian one doesn't count, that was Canadian Customs that ruined it. Can't fault the USPS for that one.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 11:12 am 

tec-9-7 wrote:Yes, and replacing/refunding those occasional lost items should be figured in as a cost of doing business...

Yes, it is.  Although we send almost every package tracked, we dont always take out the extra insurance (the UK standard is £28) for items in the 30 - 70 range, but that loss is ours.

Cheers,

Malcolm

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 11:31 am 

Deadlord & Rolf:  You guys do know that there's a Private Message function that you could take your little spat to don't you?

Paul

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 11:32 am 

>No, it isn't. What some of you seem not to realize is that buyers take a huge >risk by sending their money for a product sight-unseen, based on nothing >more than the feedback a seller has. If a seller holds feedback 'hostage' >waiting for a positive, it dilutes the entire system.

But, if a buyer can rescind paypal payment for 30 days after the auction, isn't the seller taking a risk sending his merchandise? What recourse does he have if the buyer rescinds payment, unless he can leave negative feedback?

Wouldn't the thread of negative payment make a buyer less likely to rescind payment?

Now, I haven't sold anything on ebay in six months or so, so I might not be thinking about this clearly. Also, I tend to think the process is different for large scale sellers, and low scale sellers (like me) who are just selling used household items. I don't think I would refund payment to some one who wasn't happy with the item description - I list item descriptions with loads of detail, and I feel it's the buyer's responsibility to email the seller if they have any questions. I would only give a refund if the buyer shipped the item back to me (at their cost). At the volume and price of the items I sold at (very low), it's not worth it to me to give a refund where I have to eat shipping costs. That said, I've had very few problems with people. I had one buyer who emailed me after the auction ended and said "this item better be in good shape". I had listed the item quality carefully in the description, and he could have emailed me if concerned. So of course, I didn't leave him positive feedback until he left feedback for me first. I don't worry about offending repeat buyers because the number of items I sell is so low that chances are I'll never have another repeat buyer anyway.  Also, I usually charge $1.00 for handling costs. I feel this is reasonable for the amount of time it takes me to package the item (I package very carefully). BUT, I always list this in the auction. The buyer should just deduct $1.00 from the amount they are willing to bid.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 12:26 pm 

zhowar1 wrote:But, if a buyer can rescind paypal payment for 30 days after the auction, isn't the seller taking a risk sending his merchandise? What recourse does he have if the buyer rescinds payment, unless he can leave negative feedback?

Wouldn't the thread of negative payment make a buyer less likely to rescind payment?

The buyer takes the first risk and is therefore entitled to good feedback if he/she pays promptly.  You can leave follow-up feedback if the buyer does something shady.

Like you, I don't sell much on ebay, but I still leave feedback as soon as I've been paid.  I maintain that it's the least I can do if someone blindly sends me money.

Paul

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 12:35 pm 

zhowar1 wrote:But, if a buyer can rescind paypal payment for 30 days after the auction, isn't the seller taking a risk sending his merchandise? What recourse does he have if the buyer rescinds payment, unless he can leave negative feedback?

The buyer takes the first risk and is therefore entitled to good feedback if he/she pays promptly.  You can leave follow-up feedback if the buyer does something shady.

Like you, I don't sell much on ebay, but I still leave feedback as soon as I've been paid.  I maintain that it's the least I can do if someone blindly sends me money.

Paul

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Oct 21, 2003 3:34 pm 

Well, well, I have completed a sale to Our Favorite Reseller. Would you believe I was asked for immediate feedback? What is the term for that........ah yes, double standard.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Oct 22, 2003 10:20 am 

Youve convinced me, from now on I will leave +ve feedback on receipt of payment.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Nov 25, 2003 11:53 am 

Cougarrinard has entered the 21st century. Look what's happening:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... egory=2545

See the difference?  :wink:

PreviousNext