Forum error messages & spambots
Author

Site Admin

Post Posted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 2:57 am 

From this moment forward, if anyone gets an error message when doing something on the forum (specifically, the error message is a large pink box telling you the security system has stopped an attack), please send me an e-mail or a PM describing what exactly you were doing when you received the message.

Sorry for the hassle; security upgrades and all.

And just to make things more difficult for everyone EXCEPT the people it's intended for (sigh), there's a new feature which just might get rid of spam posting completely.  Before a brand-new user is allowed to post a new topic in Collecting General, they must first either a) post a new message in one of the other forums, or b) reply to a message, in any forum.  As spammers (or rather, spambots) do neither, they will be unable to function.  At best, they'll be able to register, but I can clean out those accounts periodically, easy enough.

Foul

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 9:38 am 

I just want to say that this has been working very well with all the spambot accounts and no stupid messages. This seems to be the solution.

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 7:55 pm 

Foulfoot (or anyone who else who can help),

I was trying to create a Poll & I keep getting the error message pasted below. I tried two different Forums (Non-TSR & then General). I am logged in to my account. The error message shows up once I try to add a third poll option. It also showed up when I tried to submit a test poll with just two options. Any suggestions or is this a security bug?

SECURITY ALERT » » » »
CBACK CrackerTracker has detected a potential attack on this site with a worm or exploit script so the Security System stopped the script.

If you can see this page after including a new MOD into your board or after clicking on a link please contact the Board Administrator with this error message and a description what you have done before you could see this page, that the Admin has the possibility to fix the problem.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 8:31 pm 

zhowar wrote:Foulfoot (or anyone who else who can help),

I was trying to create a Poll & I keep getting the error message pasted below. I tried two different Forums (Non-TSR & then General). I am logged in to my account. The error message shows up once I try to add a third poll option. It also showed up when I tried to submit a test poll with just two options. Any suggestions or is this a security bug?

SECURITY ALERT » » » »
CBACK CrackerTracker has detected a potential attack on this site with a worm or exploit script so the Security System stopped the script.

If you can see this page after including a new MOD into your board or after clicking on a link please contact the Board Administrator with this error message and a description what you have done before you could see this page, that the Admin has the possibility to fix the problem.

Sounds like something only Foul can fix.  

Aside, has anybody else noticed that the forum is slow today? By saying slow, I don't mean that there isn't a lot of posts, I mean slow as in, it is taking awhile for the pages to load when clicking on threads. Anyone else having that same problem?

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 9:20 pm 

bclarkie wrote:
Sounds like something only Foul can fix.  

Aside, has anybody else noticed that the forum is slow today? By saying slow, I don't mean that there isn't a lot of posts, I mean slow as in, it is taking awhile for the pages to load when clicking on threads. Anyone else having that same problem?

Yeah, exactly like you say.

ShaneG.

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 9:23 pm 

zhowar wrote:Foulfoot (or anyone who else who can help),

SECURITY ALERT » » » »

Thats a security bug, I've PMed Foul a couple times when they happened weeks ago. He should be able to take care of this new one.

ShaneG.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 12:52 am 

I did, too--the forums were loading real slow, like I was back on dial-up, earlier this morning (Mountain time--GMT +7? hours).  I had to go all the way out and restart my system before the forums started loading at a normal speed.