Interesting Items Formerly on eBay
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 12 of 112123 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 110111112
Author

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 3:16 am 

MShipley88 wrote:They feel constrained to list every clause in their store policy up front in order to ward off certain types of buyers.

True, and it can be a slippery slope, too. I remember taking a look at my "standard" selling template a couple of years ago and realizing, to my horror, that it was 90-percent do's-and-do-not's. Since then, I've really cut back on the boilerplate — and, really, there's no way to cover every situation, anyway.

As a buyer, listings like prester's just make my eyes glaze over. I don't even bother with the fine print; I just look for a shipping price and to make sure the seller accepts PayPal. Everything else is universally ignored.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 6:27 am 

Xaxaxe wrote:True, and it can be a slippery slope, too. I remember taking a look at my "standard" selling template a couple of years ago and realizing, to my horror, that it was 90-percent do's-and-do-not's. Since then, I've really cut back on the boilerplate — and, really, there's no way to cover every situation, anyway.

As a buyer, listings like prester's just make my eyes glaze over. I don't even bother with the fine print; I just look for a shipping price and to make sure the seller accepts PayPal. Everything else is universally ignored.

Not to be lame and quote myself  :D  , but direct from all my ebay descriptions:

No one enjoys reading a seller rambling on about their rules, policies and exact steps to follow so I will keep mine very short: You are the buyer and I am the seller - the obligation is for me to satisfy you!

A few bulletted lines about how I will bend over backward for the buyer . . . and it all works out!  Since I started I have not had ONE exceptionally difficult situation or ONE buyer who has taken undo advantage of me.  All those disclaimers are useless.  My most "difficult" customer in the last 9 months - a zero feedback mom who bought a $5 module and then politely asked if she could get out of the transaction as her son had changed his mind.  Whatever . . . I need a 4 paragraph disclaimer to protect me from that?  :roll:

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 9:12 am 

Frank, if you're out there today, please check your inbox right away!

Let mirth prevail!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 1:10 pm 

Heh, all my terms listed in auctions are basically me begging poeple not to pay before I've invoiced them. Although I've just recently added some stuff about not offering insurance to Brazil.

I agree, a huge section of "You can't bid if.." is a pretty big detractor to me. I'd be more than a little hesitant to do business with someone that's trying to discourage bidding.

As for all the Terms of Sale Prestor uses, he can't enforce many of them. If he tried to cancel a transaction because of his terms, all that a buyer would have to do is point it out to eBay. It's their terms that are enforceable. You can say all kinds of things in a listing, it doesn't make it worth a damn. I'd laugh pretty hard if he tried to cancel a transaction based on someone using profanity in communication (unless it was harassment, in which case he'd obviously be ok).

"Glad I won the $*#(*(@ auction man! Holy (#)@ I'm )#(*T*@( excited!"
"I'm cancelling the sale because you used profanity."
"Hey, that's funny man! You really should read the eBay rules, especially the part about binding contracts and #&$@! Still waiting on an invoice man!"

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 3:00 pm 

There was a time when I really liked to deal with Presterjor as he had an irresistable combination of fair pricing and fast service.  Unfortunately, his pricing these days just makes me pass his auctions by.  In fact, I haven't looked past his name and price in an auction in so long that I've never noticed his auction rules until they were pointed out here.

It's kinda funny that a number of y'all who provided negative commentary on his boilerplate are some of the best folks I've dealt with via eBay and privately.  I guess that says something . . .

The Egg

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 4:20 pm 

Once again it's time to "Pimp My Stuff" :D

eBay listings

Cause not everyone reads the classifieds

57 auctions this time

"Ah, you seek meaning? Then listen to the music, not the song."

"I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 5:43 pm 

I thought this was "Interesting Items".

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 5:56 pm 

Deadlord39 wrote:I thought this was "Interesting Items".

Here I thought this was for active collectors, not longwinded uppities 8)

But hey, it's all in the eyes of the beholder anyway, right?

"Ah, you seek meaning? Then listen to the music, not the song."

"I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 8:43 pm 

This is quite interesting.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... Track=true

Let's go fly a kite
Up to the highest height!

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 8:45 pm 

red_bus wrote:This is quite interesting.

** expired/removed eBay auction **

No its not. :P

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 8:47 pm 

"These are not the auctions you are looking for..."  :D

Let's go fly a kite
Up to the highest height!

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 8:49 pm 

red_bus wrote:"These are not the auctions you are looking for..."  :D

:lol:

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 9:42 pm 

You had to make me go and look ...  :?

You are supposed to help me kick this expensive time consuming habit  :lol:

P.S. Brian check your email ...

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 12:24 am 

I am not sure if I should put this here or in silliest auction prices:

This seems to be all the basic rules in one book. I do not know much about this item.

Is it listed on Acaeum?

How many times were the basic rules printed in a single book?

Softcover / Hardcover?

Is it worth the price or are they common?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 12:31 am 

That looks like a 5th UK print of the Basic set.  More information can be found here, just scroll down a bit.

http://www.acaeum.com/ddindexes/setpage ... icfor.html

"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats."
--H.L. Mencken

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 12:33 am 

Howdy All,

red_bus wrote:This is quite interesting.

That Dragon's Life Story is from the magazine - it is the Index from issue 76 I think.

Futures Bright,

Paul

The Collector's Trove The online auction house that features the collections of game designers and artists.

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 2:14 am 

NetRodent wrote:That looks like a 5th UK print of the Basic set.  More information can be found here, just scroll down a bit.

http://www.acaeum.com/ddindexes/setpage ... icfor.html

Yes. I think you're right. Was it only the UK, that the Set was incorporated into a single rulebook? I think $99 is over the top!

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 7:40 am 

HermitFromPluto wrote:
Yes. I think you're right. Was it only the UK, that the Set was incorporated into a single rulebook? I think $99 is over the top!

Hmmm...  :D  8O  :wink:

PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 12 of 112123 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 110111112