Interesting Items Formerly on eBay
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 110 of 112123 ... 107, 108, 109, 110, 111112
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 9:47 pm 

bclarkie wrote:I am quite sure thats reshrinked...

Hey Brian, did you note all of the other items this person is selling. They are ALL in S/W. Either the seller found quite a stash or they are as you said . . . re-shrunk :? or is it re-shrinked??  Anyway, it was interesting as all of the modules appeared to be under the same stress, as they looked to be buckling or warping from the shrinkwrap.

Is there any way that we can be certain of their conditions and the legitimacy of their "shrinkwrappedness" :wink: ???

"Okay, we turn the corner and see a Purple 'WHAT' !?!" . . (the DM rolls a 20 or so he says) . . It all went black right after that.

[email protected]

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 11:43 pm 

If they are all curved, it is a reshrinking job. If he found a pile of shrinked, they wouldn't be curved, because they would presumably have been stacked.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 5:06 am 

sorry but there is nooooo way thats original shrink!

looks way too nice.

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 7:13 am 

They are ALL in S/W. Either the seller found quite a stash or they are as you said . . . re-shrunk  or is it re-shrinked??

The shrink on the other items this guy is selling look more legit.  Several have price tags that look like they are on the outside of the shrink and one has a bit of torn shrink that looks aged.

I could be pulling this out of my ass, but I seem to remember another SW R1 from not to long ago that also looked wavy.  Then again that one could have been a RSW too.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 7:26 am 

course the main man to clear this would prb be Mr Frank M himself.

the shrink looks too good to me.

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 9:48 am 

1st print Greyhawk supplement:

** expired/removed eBay auction **

Chainmail, 2nd edition:

Warriors of Mars:

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:44 am 

Contacted seller about the s/w R1:

I was not the original buyer so cannot say with certainty.  History of
the item is that I bought it from Noble Knight Games at Origins about 4
years ago (along with a SW orange B3 and other items).  It was
represented by NK as being original SW and they seem to have a good
reputation and access to items from exTSR.

Let mirth prevail!

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:54 am 

Boreas wrote:The shrink on the other items this guy is selling look more legit.  Several have price tags that look like they are on the outside of the shrink and one has a bit of torn shrink that looks aged.

I agree, I think the R-1 COULD be a re-shrink and the others are ligit.

I have some Mint First Edition SW G series modules where the shrink is quite warped and NOT torn, and I also have another full set of G's that are also SW where the shrink is begining to tear and the wrap is sort of brittle and those copies look almost identical to the ones shown in his listings (Other than the R-1).

Obviously we cannot feel the shrink wrap in his listings for THAT test. (IMO: the older shrink wrap often has a crackling feel to it (Britlle) and the newer shrink wrap material feels smoth and almost sticky like plastic wrap for food). But wouldn't the way the SW item had been stored for the past 25-30 years make a HUGE difference in how the SW feels and how it looks?

IF the R-1 IS re-shrink wrapped, then it could be the seller did NOT re-shrink the module himself (If the R-1 is in fact re-shrinked that is) and that he obtained all those items from a collector, or a store that did not know what they had, or a game store going out of business.

We are all simply guessing though. Are we not?

Sorry I posted before reading bombadil's post above.

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Last edited by Gnat the Beggar on Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:38 am 

Trust me when I say that R1 is reshrinked.  First off and foremost, there is no seal along the back side of the module which all of them did until around 1988/9.  The early monos did have that seal in the back, however some of them had a totally different type of shrinkwrap, that was kind of textured and weird to the touch and look.  We actually discussed this all a few months ago here:

viewtopic.php?t=5242&highlight=reshrink

That warping is not something that happened with the older modules in thier shrinkwrap, however it is a fairly common occurance in modules from Second edition, particularly Lankhmar modules and SpellJammer modules from the very early 1990's.  That shrinkwrap job on the R1 is the same type of deal with the roving seal long the side and the shrinkwrap bunching on the corners that I had when I purchased several I1's from a seller a few years ago and I can almost 100% guarantee its not original.

As far as the others go, its tougher to tell because the pictures are only og one side and also not quite as high quality of the R1 so its a lot tougher to tell.

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Last edited by bclarkie on Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:41 am 

Brian, what do you mean by seal along the back of the module?  It looks to me like there's a seam in the shrink on the back.  Are you referring to something else?

Let mirth prevail!

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:43 am 

bombadil wrote:Brian, what do you mean by seal along the back of the module?  It looks to me like there's a seam in the shrink on the back.  Are you referring to something else?

A seal right in the middle of the back of the module, a la:

Some where larger and more profound then others, however all modules produced from that time frame had them and as you can see its totally absent from the R1.

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:52 am 

So, does this mean you are saying that R-1 is not worth the current bid amount due to (Possibly) fake SW? lol  OK ..... So does that ALSO mean the none of you will be bidding on that R-1.......??   :lol: SWEET........ 8)  8)

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 12:05 pm 

Thanks for the scan, Brian.  As far as I recall, my OB3 doesn't have that seam across the back.  Would that be a different shrink-era?

Let mirth prevail!

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 12:14 pm 

bombadil wrote:Thanks for the scan, Brian.  As far as I recall, my OB3 doesn't have that seam across the back.  Would that be a different shrink-era?

Well, OB3 came out in 1980, so if its lacking that seal them I'd have to say its reshrinked.  You might want to check it again as as noted in the other thread I posted above of a picture of a shrinked G1(I believe it was a 3rd printing which would put it very close to the same time frame as the OB3):

Its a lot harder to see (especially in the picture, thats why I inserted the red arrows) as its both smaller in width and the shrinkwrap is a lot thinner, but its still there.  :)

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 12:28 pm 

bombadil wrote:Thanks for the scan, Brian.  As far as I recall, my OB3 doesn't have that seam across the back.  Would that be a different shrink-era?

Aneoth, isnt your OB3 the same?  I dont remember the seam of the sw being on the back...I thought it was on the side.

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 12:31 pm 

Kingofpain89 wrote:
Aneoth, isnt your OB3 the same?  I dont remember the seam of the sw being on the back...I thought it was on the side.

It should have seal on both sides actually as well along the middle of the back.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 12:50 pm 

That shrink job does not have the typical back seal. Very much like a 2nd edition seal. Is this just an anomaly for the R series? Does anyone have an R that is sealed as a means for comparison?

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 12:54 pm 

Sea-to-sky-games wrote:That shrink job does not have the typical back seal. Very much like a 2nd edition seal. Is this just an anomaly for the R series? Does anyone have an R that is sealed as a means for comparison?

I have a sealed R2 and R3, I will check when I get home from work.

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 110 of 112123 ... 107, 108, 109, 110, 111112