Interesting Items Formerly on eBay
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 79 of 112123 ... 76, 77, 78, 79, 80 ... 110111112
Author


Grandstanding Collector

Posts: 5677
Joined: Nov 16, 2002
Last Visit: Dec 01, 2021
Location: Wichita, KS, USA

Post Posted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:36 pm 
 

Awful Green Things... long-box version:  $13+, 2+ days left:  
** expired eBay auction **


Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

 WWW  


Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 6463
Joined: Dec 13, 2004
Last Visit: Apr 04, 2021

Post Posted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:40 pm 
 

NetRodent wrote:
1st print DMG:

** expired eBay auction **




I'd check with that seller, that image sure does look the the one from the site here:



http://www.acaeum.com/ddindexes/setpage ... mg1st.html







Image


"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

  


Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 6463
Joined: Dec 13, 2004
Last Visit: Apr 04, 2021

Post Posted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:41 pm 
 

Actually on second look that is NOT a 1st print DMG, it has 238 pages.   :roll:


"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

  


Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 6463
Joined: Dec 13, 2004
Last Visit: Apr 04, 2021

Post Posted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:49 pm 
 

Well, I just messaged the seller chastizing him for both the stolen picture and the decieving auction.  Hopefully he will change it.

It really frosts my rear-end when people steal pictures and not only do they steal a picture without giving credit, they also don't even note that the picture is not even of the actual item for sale.  God does that irritate me. :x


"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

  

User avatar

Prolific Collector

Posts: 555
Joined: Dec 01, 2006
Last Visit: Sep 10, 2021
Location: Jupiter, FL

Post Posted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 12:04 am 
 

bclarkie wrote:Well, I just messaged the seller chastizing him for both the stolen picture and the decieving auction.  Hopefully he will change it.

It really frosts my rear-end when people steal pictures and not only do they steal a picture without giving credit, they also don't even note that the picture is not even of the actual item for sale.  God does that irritate me. :x


BC,

In all fairness, the seller (a Mary McWhorter) did not advertise the book as a 1st print, as I have been watching it. We (NetRodent) are the ones who posted it here as a first print. Mary was kind enough to send me additional photos and the ISBN on the back cover tipped me off, as I forgot that the number of pages should be 232, as opposed to 238  :oops:

On the other hand, you are correct about the image for the item, as the photo of the cover she sent me does not look as nice as the one on eBay. If someone wants to see these, I will post them, but I did not want to take up too much space unnecessarily.


"Okay, we turn the corner and see a Purple 'WHAT' !?!" . . (the DM rolls a 20 or so he says) . . It all went black right after that.

[email protected]

  

User avatar

Prolific Collector

Posts: 555
Joined: Dec 01, 2006
Last Visit: Sep 10, 2021
Location: Jupiter, FL

Post Posted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 12:06 am 
 

The real reason I was here  :roll: was to post this item I just saw:



http://cgi.ebay.com/1976-Lankmar-Board- ... dZViewItem



I had no idea that there was such a thing. Does anyone have one and can they provide a little insight to this item?



Thanks,


"Okay, we turn the corner and see a Purple 'WHAT' !?!" . . (the DM rolls a 20 or so he says) . . It all went black right after that.

[email protected]

  


Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 6463
Joined: Dec 13, 2004
Last Visit: Apr 04, 2021

Post Posted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 12:09 am 
 

PM-Knight wrote:
BC,

In all fairness, the seller (a Mary McWhorter) did not advertise the book as a 1st print, as I have been watching it. We (NetRodent) are the ones who posted it here as a first print. Mary was kind enough to send me additional photos and the ISBN on the back cover tipped me off, as I forgot that the number of pages should be 232, as opposed to 238  :oops:

On the other hand, you are correct about the image for the item, as the photo of the cover she sent me does not look as nice as the one on eBay. If someone wants to see these, I will post them, but I did not want to take up too much space unnecessarily.


You are right she didn't adverise it as any print, but when you rip off a photo from a website, don't give credit for it nor do you list anywhere in the auction that the item in the picture is not actually the one that for sale, you can not expect your buyers to know that its anything other then the item for sale.

To me, the fact that she was able to actually send you photos of the item that she does have to me makes it even worse. If you have the ability to post an actual photo(s) of the item for sale and instead you are ripping off a photo for your auction just pops up red flags everywhere.  That to me is shady as hell.


"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

  


Prolific Collector

Posts: 636
Joined: Sep 14, 2005
Last Visit: Jan 16, 2009
Location: Montreal, Canada

Post Posted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 12:12 am 
 

Oops, I got a bit sloppy listing that as a first print.  :oops:


"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats."
--H.L. Mencken

 WWW  


Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 6463
Joined: Dec 13, 2004
Last Visit: Apr 04, 2021

Post Posted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 12:14 am 
 

NetRodent wrote:Oops, I got a bit sloppy listing that as a first print.  :oops:


Thats not your fault, the picture in the auction is of a 1st printing. :)


"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

  

User avatar

Verbose Collector

Posts: 1295
Joined: Nov 06, 2002
Last Visit: May 14, 2013
Location: Essex, UK

Post Posted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 2:46 am 
 





Wow! Bad transvestite on the cover!



Cheers,

Malcolm

 WWW  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector

Posts: 5648
Joined: Jun 30, 2003
Last Visit: Nov 18, 2021
Location: New Hampsha

Post Posted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 5:24 am 
 

I have one packed away. I really know nothing about it.


If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

 WWW  

User avatar

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Posts: 2836
Joined: Nov 23, 2005
Last Visit: Dec 02, 2021
Location: Italy

Post Posted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 6:48 am 
 

PM-Knight wrote:The real reason I was here  :roll: was to post this item I just saw:


** expired eBay auction **


I had no idea that there was such a thing. Does anyone have one and can they provide a little insight to this item?

Thanks,




what is strange is that on the top of the box there's no logo... and i'm pretty sure that in other auctions with the same item i recognized a logo on the cover... is it a pre-pub???


I am the servant of the Secret Maps, Wielder of the flame of Clone!
You cannot quote! The dark spam will not avail you, flame of Udun.
Go back to the Shadow! You... cannot... post!!!

 WWW  

User avatar

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Posts: 2836
Joined: Nov 23, 2005
Last Visit: Dec 02, 2021
Location: Italy

Post Posted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 6:54 am 
 

how interesting is this item?




** expired eBay auction **




ok, it is not rpg stuff, but it is anyway a "limited edition"...  :roll:


I am the servant of the Secret Maps, Wielder of the flame of Clone!
You cannot quote! The dark spam will not avail you, flame of Udun.
Go back to the Shadow! You... cannot... post!!!

 WWW  


Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 2044
Joined: Aug 28, 2006
Last Visit: Mar 11, 2021
Location: Tashkent, Uzbekistan

Post Posted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 6:58 am 
 

There should be a Lizard Logo in the bottom left corner:

See here: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/26678

It seems there is more than one print of this game. Does anyone collect old TSR board games and has anyone ever done print run research on these?

  

User avatar

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Posts: 2836
Joined: Nov 23, 2005
Last Visit: Dec 02, 2021
Location: Italy

Post Posted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 7:07 am 
 

HermitFromPluto wrote:There should be a Lizard Logo in the bottom left corner:

See here: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/26678

It seems there is more than one print of this game. Does anyone collect old TSR board games and has anyone ever done print run research on these?




yes, look at this:




** expired eBay auction **




...it has the logo as well


I am the servant of the Secret Maps, Wielder of the flame of Clone!
You cannot quote! The dark spam will not avail you, flame of Udun.
Go back to the Shadow! You... cannot... post!!!

 WWW  


** Banned **

Posts: 9
Joined: Apr 13, 2007
Last Visit: Apr 13, 2007

Post Posted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 8:38 am 
 

bclarkie wrote:You are right she didn't adverise it as any print, but when you rip off a photo from a website, don't give credit for it nor do you list anywhere in the auction that the item in the picture is not actually the one that for sale, you can not expect your buyers to know that its anything other then the item for sale.

To me, the fact that she was able to actually send you photos of the item that she does have to me makes it even worse. If you have the ability to post an actual photo(s) of the item for sale and instead you are ripping off a photo for your auction just pops up red flags everywhere.  That to me is shady as hell.


I dont think this lady meant to decieve anyone.  Copy of her reply to my similar inquiry below.  Just someone that doesnt know the item.  I take it you were the angry e-mail she got:

"Dear Lorin,

Thanks for your clear and thoughtful description of the "D" characteristic. My camera was not working at the time so I used a stock photo. Yes it appears that I have ruffled many D and D collectors' feelings/feathers. One very angry one has already angrily written me. I'm just a Mom selling an unwanted item. But as I told him, I would never tarnish my 100% rating through misrepresentation. I have even written the loan bidder and asked them to review my revised comments and photo. Should they decide to renig, no problem. I would rather end the auction and donate this book that I have no need or appreciation of to Goodwill before I would jeopardize my standings with Ebay.

Thanks so much for taking time to educate me on the first edition status vs 3rd through 8th. I was unaware of multiple printings. I really just hoped to make less than 10 bucks on another unused item as we downsize our home and possessions.

Thanks again, Lorin. You were kind.

Best wishes,
mary"

L

  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 7969
Joined: Jun 23, 2003
Last Visit: Dec 01, 2021
Location: DFW TX

Post Posted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 9:53 am 
 

Flatlander wrote:
I dont think this lady meant to decieve anyone.  Copy of her reply to my similar inquiry below.  Just someone that doesnt know the item.  I take it you were the angry e-mail she got:

"Dear Lorin,

Thanks for your clear and thoughtful description of the "D" characteristic. My camera was not working at the time so I used a stock photo. Yes it appears that I have ruffled many D and D collectors' feelings/feathers. One very angry one has already angrily written me. I'm just a Mom selling an unwanted item. But as I told him, I would never tarnish my 100% rating through misrepresentation. I have even written the loan bidder and asked them to review my revised comments and photo. Should they decide to renig, no problem. I would rather end the auction and donate this book that I have no need or appreciation of to Goodwill before I would jeopardize my standings with Ebay.

Thanks so much for taking time to educate me on the first edition status vs 3rd through 8th. I was unaware of multiple printings. I really just hoped to make less than 10 bucks on another unused item as we downsize our home and possessions.

Thanks again, Lorin. You were kind.

Best wishes,
mary"

L


That's great. Can't wait until she tells this story around the bridge table.  "You wouldn't believe what a bunch of psychotic anal retentive rude immature bullying assholes those guys who play D&D are...." and shows them the raging email arguing a point that most non gaming individuals would consider insignificant, further making ALL of us out to be coke bottle glasses wearing overweight man-children.  And thus the good press for our hobby continues.  What can I say, the people from this site are such great ambassadors for this hobby...I'm so proud to be a gamer on a day like this.  :roll:

Mike B.


"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
http://www.ntrpgcon.com

 WWW  


Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 6463
Joined: Dec 13, 2004
Last Visit: Apr 04, 2021

Post Posted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 10:00 am 
 

Badmike wrote:
That's great. Can't wait until she tells this story around the bridge table.  "You wouldn't believe what a bunch of psychotic anal retentive rude immature bullying assholes those guys who play D&D are...." and shows them the raging email arguing a point that most non gaming individuals would consider insignificant, further making ALL of us out to be coke bottle glasses wearing overweight man-children.  And thus the good press for our hobby continues.  What can I say, the people from this site are such great ambassadors for this hobby...I'm so proud to be a gamer on a day like this.  :roll:

Mike B.


While we are casting aspersions against the people of this site, we might want to make sure that it actually was someone from this site.

Here was my question to her:

Dear Seller, you might want to list in your auction that not only is this item that you are selling not the one in the picture, that it is also not the same printing as the one you have pictured. Some unlucky buyer is likely to bid high on this book thinking that its a first printing because the picture that you have stolen without even giving credit to them from the Acaeum website to use in this auction is of a first printing Dungeon Masters Guide but by your auction description its clearly not. Thanks.


Not exactly scorching.   A small admonishment about the stolen picture, but not exactly tearing her new ass about the printing info and certainly not enough to be considered very angry.


"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

  
PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 79 of 112123 ... 76, 77, 78, 79, 80 ... 110111112