Interesting Items Formerly on eBay
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 73 of 112123 ... 70, 71, 72, 73, 74 ... 110111112
Author

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 3:02 pm 

Anxious to see what the hole-punched Fazzle will go for...

Let mirth prevail!

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 3:53 pm 

bombadil wrote:Anxious to see what the hole-punched Fazzle will go for...

Let's see, shall we? :D

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Prolific Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 8:42 pm 

The seller relisted Lost Tamoachan on Monday. It's private.. blah! Who's bidding on this one? Just curious. :)

http://cgi.ebay.com/Lost-Tamoachan-AD-D ... dZViewItem

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 10:23 pm 

I don't thinks it's private.

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 4:20 am 

http://cgi.ebay.com/Dungeons-Dragons-Ce ... dZViewItem

D&D 30 year celebration book. Foreword by Vin Diesel?

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 5:53 am 

It may seem strange, but Vin Diesel is a role-playing addict. John Kovalic of Dork Tower fame has "dealt with the matter" on his webcomics.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:54 am 

argyrebasin wrote:The seller relisted Lost Tamoachan on Monday. It's private.. blah! Who's bidding on this one? Just curious. :)

** expired/removed eBay auction **

It's not private...Ebay hides the identity of the bidders after any auction reaches $200.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:57 am 

HermitFromPluto wrote:

D&D 30 year celebration book. Foreword by Vin Diesel?

If you really feel the need to have this book you can probably pick it up at Half-Price Books for about $10.  No sense in wasting good money.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 12:00 pm 

Kingofpain89 wrote:
If you really feel the need to have this book you can probably pick it up at Half-Price Books for about $10.  No sense in wasting good money.

I predict they will be sticking out of the $1 bin before too long.  I did notice that Titan Games had a few "limited" copies for $40 each  8O

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 12:23 pm 

I'm still playing D&D (3.x) and was tempted to purchase this book when it came out.  After checking out the reviews on Amazon.com and taking a quick look through a friend's copy, I decided against it.  From what I could tell, it's a hastily put together piece of junk with crappy artwork.  Basically WotC's attempt to cheerlead for themselves and try to demonstrate that they haven't totally raped and pillaged the hobby--which in my opinion is exactly what they've done.  I don't know much about collecting, but this one is definitely bargain basement material.

As far an Vin Diesel is concerned, just look at the man...  muscles, shaved head, etc.  He's the poster child for overcompensation, IMO.  I bet he was a typical AD&D player in high school.  Not that I wasn't, mind you, but I'm okay with it now :).

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 12:55 pm 

I appear to be a minority of one here as far as that book is concerned: I think it's a fine product. I bought two hardbacks the day it came out, in fact, and gave one away as a gift to a lapsed D&D-er. He more-or-less thought it was just about the greatest gift ever.

To all the haters: have you actually read the damn thing?  :?  :roll:  :? I'll admit that it's uneven in places (and the layout is headache-inducing), but there are sections that are really well-written and very informative. All due respect, but there seems to be a lot of bandwagon-jumping here as far as this book is concerned.

And as far as Vin goes ... well, his introduction was one of the highlights for me. He's an interesting man, and he has some good things to say. (And I'd rather read an essay per day from Vin Diesel for the rest of my life than read one more column by Wil "Let Me Tell You About My Family" Wheaton).

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 1:41 pm 

Nope, I have to admit I didn't read much, although I did scan the Vin Diesel intro.  I guess I didn't really feel like I needed to.  I wasn't there 30 years ago, but a good 25 (at the time it was published) anyway, so I don't need a retrospective book to conjure up nostalgia.  I'll admit it is funny to find out about celebrities who were doing exactly the same things I was doing when they were 12.  Has anyone seen the Stephen Colbert (of Colbert Report fame) interview online?  There's a section of it in which he talks about his experiences with Expedition to the Barrier Peaks that's just priceless.  

I guess this sort of book appeals to some people, but not others, which is cool.  I'm with you on the Wil Wheaton thing.  He's one big reason I stopped buying Dragon magazine, the Magic card flipping little twit :).

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 1:51 pm 

I agree with Xaxaxe, the book isn't that bad and I can't stand Wil Wheaton.  They did an interview with him on one of the Thundercats DVDs and it was just aweful.  As far as a history of TSR and D&D the book is better than any of the ones put out by TSR.  The Silver Anniversary book and the 20 year TSR employee books are much worse and much more expensive to get too.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 1:55 pm 

Xaxaxe wrote:I appear to be a minority of one here as far as that book is concerned: I think it's a fine product. I bought two hardbacks the day it came out, in fact, and gave one away as a gift to a lapsed D&D-er. He more-or-less thought it was just about the greatest gift ever.

To all the haters: have you actually read the damn thing?  :?  :roll:  :? I'll admit that it's uneven in places (and the layout is headache-inducing), but there are sections that are really well-written and very informative. All due respect, but there seems to be a lot of bandwagon-jumping here as far as this book is concerned.

And as far as Vin goes ... well, his introduction was one of the highlights for me. He's an interesting man, and he has some good things to say. (And I'd rather read an essay per day from Vin Diesel for the rest of my life than read one more column by Wil "Let Me Tell You About My Family" Wheaton).

I don't know about anyone else but I have read the "damn thing" and I have always thought that the book could have been so much more.  I enjoyed some of the commentary by the "celebrities" and industry professionals but that is about it.  For $50 it should have had twice the pages and been more detailed with the different editions.  Spelljammer should have been a footnote.  :P

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 2:02 pm 

Mars wrote:I agree with Xaxaxe, the book isn't that bad and I can't stand Wil Wheaton.  They did an interview with him on one of the Thundercats DVDs and it was just aweful.  As far as a history of TSR and D&D the book is better than any of the ones put out by TSR.  The Silver Anniversary book and the 20 year TSR employee books are much worse and much more expensive to get too.

Was Wil Wheaton a Thundercat, LOL?  That I didn't know.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 2:54 pm 

Radovarl wrote:
Was Wil Wheaton a Thundercat, LOL?  That I didn't know.

No Wil Wheaton was not a Thundercat - thank goodness.  The show would have tanked pretty quick if that were the case.  He was just a fan and a "celebrity" so they asked him to do an interview as a bonus on the DVD.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 6:02 pm 

Xaxaxe wrote:I appear to be a minority of one here as far as that book is concerned: I think it's a fine product. I bought two hardbacks the day it came out, in fact, and gave one away as a gift to a lapsed D&D-er. He more-or-less thought it was just about the greatest gift ever.

It would have been a great $20 tabletop book. The bang to cost ratio is far, far out of whack.  The guys who did the layouts should be fired, then prevented from ever again working in the publishing industry. It doesn't even make sense why they would do the book like that.
 That having been said, I've read through it in the bookstore, and I thought I wouldn't pay full or even half price for it but will just wait for it to hit the cheap shelves at HPB.  But that's just one man's opinion....and we all know what those are like.....
:wink:

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:45 am 

TSR "library" poster (artwork from Mentzer Basic set):

PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 73 of 112123 ... 70, 71, 72, 73, 74 ... 110111112