Interesting Items Formerly on eBay
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 58 of 112123 ... 55, 56, 57, 58, 59 ... 110111112
Author

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 5:42 pm 

i'd love a woodgrain - just simply cant afford one - wish i had bid more on johnhucks battered one - just about in my price range :)

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 5:47 pm 

Disagree totally, printing order is very important to collectors.

Never said it wasn't. Re-read what I wrote. I asserted it isn't the sole (let alone primary) characteristic that drives the valutions of all collectors.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 5:55 pm 

You know, you really have to wonder about some of the people who post here, if they actually have any clue as to what the hell is going on...

A very strange (and inflammatory) comment considering opinions are entirely subjective. Not sure you had a monopoly on those.

Contrary to your sentiments, I think it is impossible for anyone to emphatically state how all collectors precisely weigh the characteristics of an item when making their valuation. The acaeum is a great site.. but it can't do that or anything remotely close.

In this situation, I've ventured that it seems reasonable that dramatic condition differences can outweigh (perhaps greatly so) the slight differences in rarity and printing nuances.. for some/many collectors.

Prolific Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 6:03 pm 

Provenance is a tricky thing, especially when it comes to non-antique retro items that are aging into a generational hierarchy.  (Meaning the old guys and the kids are now mixing it up on these items.)

For Stafford D&D items in particular, you'll have the D&D people competing with those collectors who focus on the larger field of RPG history.  Some will factor provenance into these bids, and some will not; of course the high bid is king so those who feel it's there will be on top.  ;)

Not a big deal, but this item is probably not going to go for a reasonable price from a D&D collector's perspective.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 6:05 pm 

Sea-to-sky-games wrote:

A very strange (and inflammatory) comment considering opinions are entirely subjective. Not sure you had a monopoly on those.

Contrary to your sentiments, I think it is impossible for anyone to emphatically state how all collectors precisely weigh the characteristics of an item when making their valuation. The acaeum is a great site.. but it can't do that or anything remotely close.

In this situation, I've ventured that it seems reasonable that dramatic condition differences can outweigh (perhaps greatly so) the slight differences in rarity and printing nuances.. for some/many collectors.

I am not going to clog this thread anymore with back and forth posts with you.  This will be my last post to you in this discussion.  First off, look here:

http://www.acaeum.com/ddindexes/rulebooks.html

Secondly, as noted in my very own post, when I posted this item in this very thread:

** expired/removed eBay auction **

Greg Stafford wrote:Booklets and Errata in Excellent condition: sharp corners, no marks, no rust on staples, some staining from age
Box: top is stained from age, with a broken bottom left corner, and some peeling of the side label
     bottom: slightly bent with some creasing on lower left corner, no broken corners.

Despite his opening claim of the set being in "Great Condition", his set isn't all that great if you actually bother to read the whole description.

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 6:06 pm 

[quote="bclarkie"]

No disrespect to MR. Stafford, but in all honesty just what should his copy hold over my own?  quote]

If you mean the one you've had up for sale, I'd say the fact that it is in decent shape. Myself, I'd rather have a really nice Honda than a totally thrashed Porsche.
At a guess, the missing flap of the cover is what kills the value.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 6:16 pm 

Early printing PHB:

http://cgi.ebay.com/1978-Advanced-Dunge ... dZViewItem

Waiting on the actual print confirmation from the seller.  :)

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 6:24 pm 

Hey Brian.

Your set doesn't show up on a D&D or an AD&D search (unless you go for; search title and description).  Now of course it is probably more accurate to list it, as you have done, with an OD&D - especially for established collectors and people who frequent this site.  But by not having it show up in those more common searches you might be missing out on non Acaeum-ers and/or people new to collecting who are interested in getting an original D&D set.  Just a suggestion. Good luck!  :D

[edited to add - besides you know how auctions go - you won't know who gets higher until the snipes are in   :D ]

Let's go fly a kite
Up to the highest height!

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 6:30 pm 

red_bus wrote:Hey Brian.

Your set doesn't show up on a D&D or an AD&D search (unless you go for; search title and description).  Now of course it is probably more accurate to list it, as you have done, with an OD&D - especially for established collectors and people who frequent this site.  But by not having it show up in those more common searches you might be missing out on non Acaeum-ers and/or people new to collecting who are interested in getting an original D&D set.  Just a suggestion. Good luck!  :D

[edited to add - besides you know how auctions go - you won't know who gets higher until the snipes are in   :D ]

You know that you are probably right and thats an excellent suggestion. :)  Unfortuantely, with bids on it(even though the reserve hasn't even been met yet) I can't change the title. :(

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:43 pm 

bclarkie wrote:Early printing PHB:

Heh, you can probably just drive over there and take a look at it.

Let mirth prevail!

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:27 pm 

bombadil wrote:
Heh, you can probably just drive over there and take a look at it.

Heh, I totally missed that. :)

Hmm...Western Pa....might be worth finding out if this might be some secluded old games shop with several brand new 1st print Woodgrain sets just collecting dust in the basement, just waiting for me to find them......  :twisted:

Leave me alone, I can dream. :D

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:20 pm 

OCE-era set:

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:44 pm 

bombadil wrote:Yeah, the item in the photos looks like original notes, but it clearly says you're going to get a scan.

Too bad, the original would be worth a bid.  Looks like a decent piece of work.

I asked the seller if he'd be willing to sell the original. Not cheaply would be the abbreviated answer :)

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:48 pm 

Jade Hare:

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:54 pm 

bclarkie wrote:Early printing PHB:

I believe it's a 2nd, and I'd love to know if I'm right.  I'll tell you how I came up with that if I am.  :wink:

YIM  

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:58 pm 

deimos3428 wrote:I believe it's a 2nd, and I'd love to know if I'm right.  I'll tell you how I came up with that if I am.  :wink:

Sorry, its a 3rd.  Check the Q&A. :wink:

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 12:00 am 

darkseraphim wrote:Provenance is a tricky thing, especially when it comes to non-antique retro items that are aging into a generational hierarchy.  (Meaning the old guys and the kids are now mixing it up on these items.)

Yo, Dark! Welcome back.

I'll throw in a quick agreement here: I would be interested in Greg's set not because he had a lot to do with D&D, but because he rubbed shoulders with those who did (at conventions, through correspondence, writing magazine articles, etc.). So, in my twisted way of looking at it, that set does have a little bit of actual D&D history.

Actually, I did throw in a bid — and I've already been outbid. I mostly just wanted to see what all the "Bidder 1, Bidder 2" fuss was about. I don't place a lot of $200-plus bids. :)

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 12:01 am 

bclarkie wrote:
Sorry, its a 3rd.  Check the Q&A. :wink:

Ah, shazbutt.  I hate it when that happens.

Hey, did anyone else see the Fazzle?

YIM  
PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 58 of 112123 ... 55, 56, 57, 58, 59 ... 110111112