grodog's upcoming visit to London: Dec 4-13
Author

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 11:47 pm 

My sister's studying abroad in London this semester, and Heather and I just bought tickets to visit her for about 10 days.

We'll be travelling the evening of December 4th, arriving in Heathrow at 8am on the 5th, and will depart on the 13th.  Anyone care to try to gather for an evening while I'm over there?  :D

Also, if anyone has hotel recommendations for the Central London area in Bloomsbury, near the British Museum and Russel Square Gardens, we'd very much appreciate them.  Or other recommendations that aren't terribly far away (we'd like to try to be closer to her flat, if at all possible, and prefer to walk, though we can cab it if necessary I guess).

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 4:35 am 

the day you get there is my birthday gro :)

i live about 250 miles from london, but red_bus is down there. i can see if i have plans around that time.

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 4:59 am 

Allan,

My Wife and I went to Europe about 9 years ago . . .  when we stayed in London, we chose the Hotel Cavendish which is within walking distance of the British Museum.  It's the kind of narrow, steep-staired, multi-level house that you don't see in America.  :D

Not what you are looking for if you want the typical "American Hotel/Motel" that is pretty much all you see here . . . but if you don't mind renting a room from a "house converted to a hotel" that has shared bathrooms, no TV and cooks a nice, little Breakfast on the bottom floor every morning then it may be something you're interested in.  (To be honest . . . we were in Europe for two months and every hotel in every country we went to was a "house converted to a hotel").

Even in 1997, the price was 28 pounds per night (which was actually pretty cheap!).

Hotel Cavendish 75 Gower Street
(0171) 636-9079
Metro Stop:  Goodge Street

and right next door (though we didn't stay there)

Garth Hotel
69 Gower Street
(0171) 636-5761

Make sure you stop by your local bookstore and pick up a "Let's Go London!" map.  Keep in mind, cabs aren't really necessary . . .  You'll be walking and taking the tube almost exclusively (unless you feel like paying more for a cab, but there's no need).

So, essentially, everywhere in London is a tube stop and short walk away.

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 5:51 am 

Hey there.  Yes - I would definitely be up for a meet.  Sounds lovely.  I have classes in Bloomsbury two/three days a week so we would prob. bump into each other even if we didn't arrange to meet up.  I can also give some hotel recommendations - although if you are looking cheap and cheerful Beyondthebreach is right that a guesthouse is the right way to go.  If she is studying at a University of London college they should also have some recommendations for you.

If you want very cheap you are both welcome to crash on my floor for a few days - it will be v. cramped (my flat has the same floorspace as an SUV), but it is central (I am on the South Bank right by the Thames), and free.

It is a nice time to come for a visit - all the Christmas decorations will be out and it is the start of office party season.  Although owing to climate change there is rarely any snow any more  :cry:

See ya!

Let's go fly a kite
Up to the highest height!

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 8:28 am 

Hi,

shame youre not coming a coupla days earlier - Dragonmeet is on the first Saturday in December, and is Londons biggest gaming convention.

I would recommend www.laterooms.com to find good discounted hotels.

cheers,
Malcolm

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 8:29 am 

Thanks for the tips, everyone.  We haven't finalized any hotel plans yet, so we'll definitely dig into the ones you've recommended.

Greyhawk, grodog Style

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 7:11 pm 

We're probably going to stay @ the George Hotel, 58-60 Cartwright Gardens, in case anyone has any opinions/advisories to run in terror one way or the other :D

Greyhawk, grodog Style

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 5:48 am 

It's a good location and from the little I know about it whilst in no way luxurious it is value for money.

As with most town house hotels in London it is worth asking to check out alternative rooms on arrival unless you are very happy with what you are first offered - as the layout tends to vary greatly. They have had to add so many bathrooms to a building that was not designed as a hotel that you can get some very curious layouts and minute so called en suite bathrooms wedged into small corners!

Sorry I am not around or I would also be happy to offer you accomodation but am in Edinburgh all that period and only coming back down the day you leave.

By the way, by yourselves an A-Z map and a bus guide and use the buses. Now the congestion charge has cut the traffic down it is pretty quick and you get to see and learn the City in a way you will never do from riding the tube. Black cabs are very expensive and avoid all touting private taxis - it's illegal for any but black cabs to tout on the street and they are mostly unlicenced and uninsured if they are touting for business.

Cheers!
Nick

"Anyone who's against us we'll crush. In fact anyone who isn't for us we'll crush!" - attrib. Tex Colson (Nixon Campaign Aide)

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 6:42 am 

I don't know the hotel - but the area is nice enough.  It is a relatively short walk to the University and a few decent cafes and bars.  Some nice large garden squares too.  That particular bit of Bloomsbury may be a little quiet at Xmas - but it depends what you want.  Oh, and you are only 500 yards from the newly redeveloped Brunswick centre...

http://www.thebrunswickbloomsbury.com

...with the Renoir - probably one of the better art-house cinemas in London.

[ edited to add that I found the hotel rates online and it seems quite reasonable ]

Let's go fly a kite

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 2:51 pm 

Hi folks.  Would planning for an Acaeum gathering on the 5th be reasonable?

Greyhawk, grodog Style

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 8:48 pm 

5th is fine for me.
Anyone else?

Let's go fly a kite

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 4:47 am 

Hi,

what sort of time would you be looking at - evening or lunchtime?

And roughly what part of London?

Cheers,
malc

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 7:16 pm 

grodog wrote:We're probably going to stay @ the George Hotel, 58-60 Cartwright Gardens, in case anyone has any opinions/advisories to run in terror one way or the other :D

Not sure about the pubs in that area.  If you are a bibulous fellow, I'm sure that Steven (red_bus) can advise.

http://www.fancyapint.com/

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 7:55 pm 

grodog wrote:Hi folks.  Would planning for an Acaeum gathering on the 5th be reasonable?

Remember to take pictures, please, for posting!!!

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 10:51 pm 

Hmmm, I hadn't thought about cameras---perhaps folks will want to remain anonymous? :D

I'm game to meet whenever, wherever, although we're leaving at 2:22pm the 4th and arriving at 7:55am on the 5th, so keeping close by to our hotel may be better??  (No idea, really, on that score).  I'm a little concerned about how awake/conscious I'll be since we'll have just arrived, but I'm still game to gather if that's the best date/time for everyone (and it's sounding pretty good so far).  

In terms of imbibing, while I'm not at the moment since Heather can't (still working on kid #2), that shouldn't stop anyone else (and could make pictures all the more fun! :D ).

Greyhawk, grodog Style

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:31 am 

Hi,

how about the Museum Tavern, near the British Museum?
I haven't been there for a while, but it used to be OK.

I could do lunchtime (12:30 ish), or early evening 17:00 ish.

Cheers,
malcolm

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 7:35 pm 

I am working on the 5th so could only do evening - unless you pick a different date - might be nicer once you have orientated yourself around the city a bit. Although if your schedule is already packed I will do my best to fit in. Can't have you coming all the way across the Atlantic to not at least say hi  :D

NB: on locations - museum tavern is good choice, but lots of places on friday evening in town will be busy.  Will give it some thought...

Let's go fly a kite

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 7:40 pm 

Oh, latest great bar well worth visiting, perhaps not for an Acaeum meet (although you never know)...

http://www.shunt.co.uk/

You've gotta go - it's fantastic!  And London Bridge is only a £7-8 taxi fare from Bloomsbury.

Let's go fly a kite

Next