The Official Acaeum Top 5 Gaming Snack Foods
Author

Collector

Post Posted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 3:54 pm 

Wife usually prepares mixed vegetables and dip: D

Hey we are all getting older now; need something healthier, although halfway throught the night the chocolate bars pop out.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 4:30 pm 

notquitekarpov wrote:Vegemite - huh - just an inferior Australian version of Marmite...   :wink:

Gaming snack foods? The basic rule in our group was; "It's got to to be non-greasy and non-drip." So no pizza, houmus, chips (french fries to you) etc...

I guess that means Turkey Twizzlers are out too.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 6:36 pm 

On a weekend game we like to order a curry in. Lots of it. And beer. Can't have a curry without one!

Prolific Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 7:38 pm 

Phase One: way BITD (way underage)
peanut butter/mayonnaise/english mustard toasted sandwiches by the loaf with tea/coffee/coke
Phase Two: (not quite so underage)
peanut butter on toast & beer
Phase Three: (post university)
Beer/beer/beer/smoke/pizza/crisps/beer except the guy who played the LN Cleric who drank cognac and smoked cigars.

An té nach mbíonn láidir ní folláir dó bheith glic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-ajduHx5hc

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 8:07 pm 

1.  Pizza (delivered)
2.  Doritos
3.  Taco pie (like taco salad but cooked in a pie crust instead of a tortilla)
4.  Rotel and tortilla chips (rotel = diced tomatoes, green chilies and melted Velveeta cheese)
5.  Oreos

Badmike wrote: Sometimes we'd have a fast food run during the game and it would turn out about like they do on the pages of Knights of the Dinner Table with everyone hemming and hawing through what they want for an hour.....at one point we literally banned these from our sessions because it was such a gigantic time waste.

Mike B.

Have to agree with Badmike about food runs.  A quick 15 minute trip to Arby's would always turn into a 60-75 minute ordeal.  Everything from "I don't know what I want" to "who's driving" and the classic "I don't have any cash on me, but I can pay you back".

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 8:53 pm 

Avurax wrote:
Have to agree with Badmike about food runs.  A quick 15 minute trip to Arby's would always turn into a 60-75 minute ordeal.  Everything from "I don't know what I want" to "who's driving" and the classic "I don't have any cash on me, but I can pay you back".

We developed a method that worked pretty well.  When we were gaming regularly every Sunday afternoon, I would take everyone's order at the end of the game session and collect money. The next week, about an hour before the session began, I'd order out a pizza with the works for delivery.  Then I'd call the local Subway and give them everyone elses sandwich order.  One guy was the designated sandwich pick up guy on the way to the session.  The pizza and the players (including the player who picked up the Subway sandwiches) would arrive at about the same time.  We'd chow down at the beginning of the session when I was recapping the adventure and everyone else was prepping their characters and adjusting their spells, etc.  That left no annoying interuptions during the game time.  Also eliminated the afore mentioned "I don't have any cash on me, but...." because if you didn't pay on Sunday, you didn't have a sandwich waiting for you the next week, or you better bring your own....

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:05 pm 

BTW, in the "My mom is a saint" category, about 16 years ago my mom and I lived together for awhile in my house after she was divorced.  We had regular gaming sessions every Monday night and Friday night...two different campaigns.  Her job got her home around midnight on Fridays, we would always still be playing, and she almost always had some kind of goodies for us in the form of deli-made pizzas, cakes, chips and dips, frozen goodies, etc.  She did her grocery shopping on the way home on Friday night, and always picked up something for the group because "I know you boys are playing your games on Friday night, and you might be hungry!"  Thats a mom for you! (of course at the time everyone was in their late 20's but we were still her "boys").

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 11:36 pm 

This just in:

Historians recently unearthed some private memos from the office of Nazi Propoganda Minister Josef Goebbels. In what could have been his biggest blunder ever, during the first seige of Tobruk his office offered very generous terms of surrender to the embattled garrison. Included in those terms was the promise of an unlimited supply of Marmite and Vegimite as the Afrika Korps had seized a warehouse in Sidi Barani containing 9 metric tonnes of the alleged foodstuff: the entire supply of the British Eighth Army.
When apprised of this provison of the offer, the CinC Eighth Army was reputed to have responded: "Cor Blimey and stone the crows!! Fight on, lads, to the bitter end."
The rest is history...

Nemesis of the Annoyingly Dense
Guidelines, not rules...

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 12:56 am 

Kaskoid wrote: "Cor Blimey and stone the crows!!

Wow, the CinC was Dick Van Dyke in his Mary Poppins days - go figure :lol:

Long-Winded Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 2:33 am 

Beyondthebreach wrote:
In America, Savoiardi are known as "Ladyfingers".   :wink:   Same thing - trust me I wouldn't use anything else.  Only Savoiardi can absorb the espresso properly!  :D

perfectly right!!! ...so you agree with upon "TIRAMISU RULES", isnt it??? :lol:

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 8:48 pm 

Depends on who's buying, but ususally:

M&Ms
Cheez Doodles (white cheddar)
Vegetable platter with dip
Coffee, tea, and many flavors of carbonated and non-carbonated soft drinks
Flavored nuts (wasabi, chili, and onion & lime - usually)

On cold days - Turkey chili in individual bread bowls.

For after the game - Beer. Don't want to muck up those critical rolls. Or knock over food on the miniatures. Or spill my beer.

Dave, get the barbarian in the corner a drink, quick!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 12:01 am 

I try to limit beer consumption for 2 per player if Im the DM: anything more and the games always seem to get stupid, Plus if Im DMing then I give a 5% Exp bonus to the player who is hosting if at their house and a 5 % Exp bonus to the person who brings the best group snacks... I know you wont find these rules anywhere in the Dungeon Masters Guide. (maybe that can be another thread: strangest house rules? )

Previous