New TSR art book!
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 5:01 pm 

Thought this might interest some folks, unless you all knew about it eons ago . . . .  :D

http://paizo.com/store/paizo/dungeonsAndDragonsBooks/v5748btpy7s7s

Pat

"Life is short, art is forever, and the credit card bills to buy the art last just slightly longer."

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 5:38 am 

I think it was mentioned in passing on a thread a while ago ... but I'll be damned if I can remember for sure.

Either way, it looks like an interesting effort. Anyone looking to take the plunge, though, might want to consider Amazon, where the current price is $23.07 — more than half off.

Amazon listing

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 7:01 am 

Xaxaxe wrote:I think it was mentioned in passing on a thread a while ago ... but I'll be damned if I can remember for sure.

Either way, it looks like an interesting effort. Anyone looking to take the plunge, though, might want to consider Amazon, where the current price is $23.07 — more than half off.

Amazon listing

Yes, but that's is for the regular edition, non the Super Extra Luxury Collectible Rare For Fans Only Edition  :D

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 7:41 am 

Thanks for the heads up. I shall go ahead and pre-order mine.

"before chuck even gets in the room, you can feel the bad-ness." -Al

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 6:53 pm 

Alexander1968 wrote:Yes, but that's is for the regular edition, non the Super Extra Luxury Collectible Rare For Fans Only Edition  :D

Whoops, good catch. The "regular" edition appears to be $34.95, though, so a trip to Amazon might still be something to consider.

+++++

Sidebar: what is it with more and more gaming products getting this sort of "special edition" nonsense lately? I'm beginning to have some bad 1990s comics-industry flashbacks ...

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 5:03 am 

Xaxaxe wrote:Whoops, good catch. The "regular" edition appears to be $34.95, though, so a trip to Amazon might still be something to consider.

+++++

Sidebar: what is it with more and more gaming products getting this sort of "special edition" nonsense lately? I'm beginning to have some bad 1990s comics-industry flashbacks ...

I suppose publishers noticed that many older, 'lapsed' gamers could be interested in products like those. Just look ad DCC - I'm pretty sure that a big part of their line never gets played, but just stashed in a bookshelf...  :wink: I think there is a significant market there: this year I'll be at the Lucca Games show sharing a booth with other two individuals and our (mine and a friend's) offerings will be ONLY vintage games and accessories (D&D, AD&D, MERP, Role Aids, boardgames...). If sales are good (and I'm quite sure they will), in 2007 we will have our own booth with a much more significant products range.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 9:04 am 

Xaxaxe wrote:Sidebar: what is it with more and more gaming products getting this sort of "special edition" nonsense lately? I'm beginning to have some bad 1990s comics-industry flashbacks ...

They are simply looking into this place as the example of the market conditions.

"before chuck even gets in the room, you can feel the bad-ness." -Al

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 3:07 am 

That's pretty cool. I was reading through a Dragonlance art book the other day ("Masters of Dragonlance"), and it was pretty neat getting insights into what was going on when the art was created. I've always found that as interesting as the art itself.

Active Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 4:51 pm 

Got mine in the mail the other day.  Very nicely done.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 10:57 am 

Xaxaxe wrote:

It is one more way to wring a bit of cash out of a publication.  If it makes certain collectors happy and helps the game companies, I am for it.

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 4:17 pm 

Received ours, but it has a 1" cut in the front cover.
:evil:
I emailed them asking how to exchange but haven't received a reply yet.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 10:37 pm 

I got mine last week and though I think it's great, there are some pages with a lot of empty space that could have had more cover art.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:00 pm 

The white spaces were odd. I was thinking that maybe it was kinda like a widescreen thing to keep the image in proportion. Instead of doing a huge image that would span 2 pages like a lot of illustration books do.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 8:02 am 

Some of those pages could fit 4 covers and they only put 2 in the top half and left the bottom half empty. Not even any text in that area. I do like the book though.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:22 am 

Got my signed limited version today - very nice indeed.  Great to see some of those older covers reproduced in all their glory.  Some white space here and there, but generally not a problem throughout the book as a whole.  A nice complement to my older "Worlds of TSR" art book, with the added bonus of not having a Buck Rogers section...  :wink: