Music Love to Listen?
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 4:30 pm 

hmmm.. top ten cds is hard. I think I have fairly eclectic taste in music, ranging from Enya & Clannad, to Wolfsheim & Rage Against the Machine.

At the moment the most listened to 10 artists on my mp3 player for this month must be:

Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers
Nerina Pallot
Rage Against the Machine
Legion of Doom
Blink 182
Aimee Mann
And Boa (if you count playing the same song on repeat (Duvet))  ;)
Pink
Linkin Park
Fleetwood Mac

I've got Just Jack (Starz in their Eyes) stuck in my head at the moment. Clever song.

:)

I saw The Damned I think in 97 at JBs in Dudley. Great night, stole their goldfish bowl (it had a plastic brain in), but had to give it back because they went nuts :(  - too big for my handbag.

(I still have to snag tickets for NIN at the Academy in Brum)

Mount Celestia doesn't want me and Baator's afraid I'll take over.

Ninty-eight Blue and Green Slaad at the door, Ninty-eight Blue and Green Slaad, Take one down, they gate in two more, Ninty-nine Blue and Green Slaad at the door...

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 4:50 pm 

Sea-to-sky-games wrote:
Did anyone see these guys live at the Grammy's? I wonder if they have their act still together. Andy must be like 60 years old.

56 actually.

Edit:  Oops, that is Sting's age.  Andy is 65.

'Nother Edit: Oh, and I did watch the first ten minutes or so of the Grammy's.  The Police still sound really great.  I thought that they screwed up Roxanne about half the way through and pulled a Milli Vanilli but I guess it was just to change the song up.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 1:13 am 

Seemed a more appropriate venue.....time to bring back this thread anyway....!

bombadil wrote:Been meaning to post this for a while.

Are any of you Texas boys fans of the 13th Floor Elevators?  

Man, that song Splash 1 is un-fricken-believable.  I love those guys.

'Course, I am into the psychedelic perspective...

Roky Erickson is the MAN!

You can still run into the dude if you live in Austin and hang around the right clubs for awhile....he's actually playing some gigs nowadays! His mental health problems are basically gone due to medication, and he's actually traveling around the US occasionally for concerts.

It's a damn shame what happened to him (read wikipedia entry if you want some info, sad story), but it's great he's finally getting the kudos due him for being a pioneer in psychedelic rock....

Favs:  You're Gonna Miss Me, Rollercoaster, Red Temple Prayer, Fire Engine...

Funny story, I once played "Red Temple Prayer" for a fellow music afficiando that knew little about Roky, afterwards he thought about if for awhile and said "Well, it's the best song I've ever heard where the chorus contains the worlds "Two Headed Dog......"

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 8:41 am 

Classical, and yes I know only 3 composers were from the Classical period, but they name others in that style so :P

Course if it isn't Classical, then I find the band Rhapsody (Rhapsody of Fire now) good for music that fits the mood.

So I'm not the typical Rock and Roll type, though I listen to it on the radio, just don't have it in my CD collection.

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 10:42 am 

Since a lot of the folks posting in this thread seem to be Police fans, I thought I'd let everyone know I recorded the Cleveland concert last week and posted it for download via BitTorrent at The Traders' Den. Here's the link:

http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/sho ... hp?t=42036

Plus, if anyone wants a copy but doesn't do BitTorrent, let me know and we can work something out.

"We were put on this Earth to fart around."
                            - Kurt Vonnegut

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 5:30 pm 

Great re-edit of an old Frankie Valli song - not long out - can't get it out of my head  :bounce:

http://www.myspace.com/pilooskiedits

(it's the third one - Beggin')

If you like to look at stuff, here is a youtube vid (which is OK).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvjRNYqV4ds

Let's go fly a kite
Up to the highest height!

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 7:33 pm 

Some nice reading in this thread!!!

Conerning music, apart from contemporary likes, I have always been fond of Medieval and Renaissance Era music. It is probably the most relaxing music I know.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 2:03 am 

HermitFromPluto wrote:Conerning music, apart from contemporary likes, I have always been fond of Medieval and Renaissance Era music. It is probably the most relaxing music I know.

Can you recommend some CDs to get started?

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 4:23 am 

A little known fact- the drummer in this 1971 video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24SOBX4PIx8
is actually Dungeons & Dragons creator E. Gary Gygax. The video was shot the same year Gygax wrote D&D's predecessor Chainmail.

To be honest, the drummer in the video doesn't look exactly like the way Gygax did then, & certainly nothing like he does now. The important part is that this drummer doesn't look like a rock musician, he looks like someone who should be playing Dungeons & Dragons.

Finding such an image dated 1971, when fantasy gaming was beginning, seems significant to me. It suggests that there was a time when gamer nerds & musician hipsters had not yet diverged on the evolutionary tree. The drummer is I believe the missing link, the one who is prophesied to bring balance to the force.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 1:30 pm 

:lol:

I have a hard time imagining what Gary and Joe Walsh would have to talk about on the tour bus between concerts.  

"Well you see, Joe, the Lucerne Hammer doesn't really look like a carpenter's hammer.  Look.  OK, now:  You take your basic Bill- Guisarme shape . . . "

or,

"Well, Joe, what you've done here is the mistake everyone makes placing their lines of supply at Waterloo . . ."

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 1:51 pm 

sauromatian wrote:A little known fact- the drummer in this 1971 video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24SOBX4PIx8
is actually Dungeons & Dragons creator E. Gary Gygax. The video was shot the same year Gygax wrote D&D's predecessor Chainmail.

To be honest, the drummer in the video doesn't look exactly like the way Gygax did then, & certainly nothing like he does now. The important part is that this drummer doesn't look like a rock musician, he looks like someone who should be playing Dungeons & Dragons.

Finding such an image dated 1971, when fantasy gaming was beginning, seems significant to me. It suggests that there was a time when gamer nerds & musician hipsters had not yet diverged on the evolutionary tree. The drummer is I believe the missing link, the one who is prophesied to bring balance to the force.

The truth is that they never diverged.  While I'm not suggesting that Billy Idol likes to play druids, or that Dave Arneson was once a member of Cream.  What I'm saying is that the kids who formed bands in high school and the gamer kids were often the same people.  Stereotypes do exist, but they can only carry you so far.

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 10:41 pm 

FormCritic wrote:
The truth is that they never diverged.  While I'm not suggesting that Billy Idol likes to play druids, or that Dave Arneson was once a member of Cream.  What I'm saying is that the kids who formed bands in high school and the gamer kids were often the same people.  Stereotypes do exist, but they can only carry you so far.

True. One of the original members of my group plays keyboards and professional soundtracks for indie films and commercials.  A lot of other guys that passed through our games were musicians of one type or another.  Not surprisingly, music was such a huge part of our lives, it became such a huge part of my gaming experience. Even now a lot of music, when I hear it, gives me a memory of a gaming experience way back when.  A lot of gamers and muscian types are on the same side of the social misfit fence in high school and beyond (although the musicians always get more chicks....)

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 1:54 am 

VermilionFire wrote:
Can you recommend some CDs to get started?

One of my favourite discs is "Dance Music of the High Renaissance" Boston Skyline Records (BSD118). I have another of William Lawes compositions entitled "The Royal Consort and Lute Songs" Sony Classical CB621 CDA CX.

I have a few other collections of mixed composers. One called The Music Antiqua. Another called Renaissance Masterpieces on the cheap Naxos label with works by Ockeghem, Clemens and de Lassus among others and a big multi-disc set by Auvidis Distibutors I picked up Europe years ago. All of these I bought more than ten years ago. The first disc is my favourite. Great roleplaying music - takes you straight back to the middle ages!!!

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 2:38 am 

I believe the name of the artist is Ron MacFarland.

The Rennaisance Lute

A rather large and eclectic collection of lute tunes from the era when players learned to pluck the lute instead of strum it with a feather.

Possibly in a New Age listing?  

Check my spelling of "Rennaisance."

Mark   8)

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 8:19 pm 

My favorite albums:

1. Grateful Dead -- Reckoning
2. Jimmy Buffett -- Meet Me in Margaritaville
3. Crosby, Stills & Nash -- Daylight Again
4. Jackson Browne -- Late for the Sky
5. Steely Dan -- Aja
6. James Taylor -- Mud Slide Slim
7. Jimmy Buffett -- Changes in Latitudes, Changes in Attitudes
8. Grateful Dead -- Terrapin Station
9. Steely Dan -- Katy Lied
10. Simon & Garfunkel -- Parsley, Sage, Rosemary and Thyme
11. Eric Clapton -- One More Car, One More Rider
12. Hootie & the Blowfish -- Cracked Rear View
13. Neil Young -- Harvest Moon
14. Jimmy Buffett -- Living & Dying in 3/4 Time
15. Alison Krauss & Union Station -- New Favorite

While I do enjoy music from my own teenage years (e.g., Boston, The Eagles, etc), my taste was heavily influenced by my late brother; he was a liberal hippie in the 60s who turned into a very conservative yuppie in the 80s and 90s.

I love folk rock, blues and bluegrass as well.  And while my list shows that I am obviously a "Parrothead" and a "Deadhead", I think it's worth mentioning that I do not like the Dead's loooong jam sessions; I prefer their bluegrass-style music.

Keith

"Never let it be said I didn’t do the least I could do."

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 8:40 pm 

Forgive me for making a Harry Potter reference, but the character Bellatrix LeStrange led me to the Heart song/album which obviously inspired her: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=weM6YHPJ28k

It's a real witchy song, perfect for gaming soundtrack purposes. Oddly enough, Wikipedia's entry on the HP character goes into considerable etymological detail on the name Bellatrix, but ignores this song, which just happens to have been popular when the character was most active [1980-81].

Joe Walsh's Turn to Stone has a similar sound: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-L9_1zuqBo

Useful in gaming for, what else, all those medusas & sundry other turn-to-stone effects. The Grateful Dead's Blues for Allah is great too.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 7:41 am 

More Deadheads! Sweet!   :D

"We were put on this Earth to fart around."
                            - Kurt Vonnegut

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 8:20 pm 

Wanted to let you know about www.pandora.com if you didn't already know about it.  It's the "music genome project"  You enter a few artists or songs that you like, and it creates a "radio station" for you.  You give the songs a thumbs up or down, and after a bit, you start liking almost all the songs (known and obscure) that it plays.  Good way to find new music.  You can have different stations, so you can match it to your mood.  Nice to have in the background.

If all else fails, immortality can always be assured by spectacular error. - John Kenneth Galbraith

PreviousNext