Music Love to Listen?
Author

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 10:36 am 

wow Neds Atomic Dustbin! now there is a band from yester-year!!!!

such a cool live act they were!

Al

ps. another band who deserve a mention and i was privileged to see them in 1989, was The Ramones. simply awesome. one of the liveliest gigs i have ever seen!

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 11:03 am 

Badmike wrote:But the greatest two concert days in my life went like this....

October 31st and November 1st, 1981. The Rolling Stones are coming to town to support their latest album, Tattoo You.  It would be the Stones last "great" album, the last album to reach #1 and the highest a single placed up until this day. (I believe Start Me Up went to #2). The Stones had just started their world tour in September, and would be "rolling" through Dallas for two dates, a Saturday and Sunday, in an all day show at the Cotton Bowl also featuring Santana, The Fabulous Thunderbirds, Loverboy, and ZZ Top as opening bands.  Both were all day affairs ending with the Stones themselves going on in the evening and playing all night.  Ah, the good old days of all day wild ass concerts....

I had gotten tickets to both shows, each through a different set of friends, one all "guys" and one mostly "girls".  Both sets of seats were good...the first show it was upper tier, but front row (on the railing) and dead straight on to the stage. The next day was lower tier and basically right next to the stage.  The guys group shows up early Saturday morning (after drinking and pretty much staying up all night), and we split into two groups, one group has seats pretty close to the stage, we have to take our seats up in the stratosphere.  Everyone has Halloween costumes on, as does our group.  I can't really remember everyone elses getup, but I have a skeleton costume with a full headed rubber mask.  I'd say at least half the audience has costumes, everyone is going to party it up, and a party it was. It was the most outrageous party I had ever been to at a concert, at all the concourses they had booths set up selling all sorts of crap (I guess that could never happen now) and of course back in the good old days in Texas the drinking age was actually SEVENTEEN so we can legally get loaded. Of course we have already prepared, sneaking pint bottles of Jack Daniels Green Label (our preferred liquor in the old days) stuff in our pants, back then the "security" didn't care if you carried a bong stuff with pot and a rack of lamb in as long as you weren't "punk" or "hippie" looking (I don't even know if he had any hippies left around Dallas in 1981, but if you had long hair anyone over the age of 30 thought you were...We run into tons of people we know from school and work, and probably walk the concourse five times checking out all the tshirts and concert goodies as well as waiting for the music to start (and consuming large amounts of hot dogs, soft drinks, hamburgers and nachos).

Sitting through the opening bands is nervewracking, Santana is actually BOOED!  The Fabulous Thunderbirds are tolerated, but the audience goes nuts for Loverboy (who were very popular at the time). ZZTop is great, but the audience is getting antsy and applauds like crazy at their last song (more for hope the Stones are going on soon than love for 'Top).  As the bands come and go, the skies get more and more cloudy.  As it's an outdoor venue and the stage is barely covered, there is a lot of speculation the Stones won't go on if it starts raining. Rumors like wildifire sweep the crowd....the Stones have left the stadium, there is no refund for the tickets since the other bands played, the Stones will stay Monday night an put on another concert if it rains, the Stones will wait out the rain and go on afterwards, etc.  The no refund rumor really pisses us off, as it cost an unbelieveable 40 bucks for tickets! (Nowadays a 58 year old Bob Segar screeching out "Old Time Rock and Roll" for two hours will set you back $100 a seat if you dont' mind sitting in the rafters....) It does start to lightly sprinkle right before the band goes on.  When the Stones rip into "Under My Thumb", the first song, then  "Start Me Up", the heavens open up in a downpour.  About half the audience leaves for the concourse area. As we are soaked thoroughly to the bone (honestly, in two minutes even my underwear feels like I just jumped into the pool), we decide what the hell, we are soaked, we are staying.  So the five of us, with one of us futilely huddling under a coat nursing the last bottle of JD), just stand there in the rain in a mostly deserted upper tier.

The Stones have to switch to cordless instruments and after short delay are back out there.  I will say, they played the entire show, they cut it short by maybe a couple of songs, but it's a masterful gutting out of the elements as they play all their greatest hits and the best songs off Tattoo You in the rain.  The four of us (fifth guy still huddling and muttering obsenities, as the bottle had run out by then) are now dancing wildly near the railing, up to our ankles in water (seems there is no drainage system at the Cotton Bowls upper tier...), as the rain is falling and lightning striking in the background (yes stupid teenagers never think they are going to be struck my lighting holding on to a metal railing in a thunderstorm several hundred feet in the air with lightning, sheesh), and then suddenly during Sympathy For the Devil, boom, the spotlights shooting through the crowd are pegged at us, totally blinding us as we cavort in our soaked Halloween costumes. For most of the song we are basically on the stage dancing like drunken lunatics as what was left of the audience cheered us on.

At this point we are practically the ONLY people left on the upper tier. If you ever run into anyone that was there that day, ask them if they saw a bunch of idiots dancing in the rain on the top tier during the concert, chances are if they weren't blitzed they will remember us (and yes I've run across them during the decades since....!). Our friends on the bottom level looking up are screaming and pointing "Holy shit!  I't's Mike and them!  Holy shit" at the top of their lungs.

One of the absolute most fun evenings in my life! After the show, we have to find the other guys, get in our cars, and drive home through pouring rain. It takes us forever! .....we make it home in the wee hours, soaked to the bone.  I grab a shower, and notice it is 3 am....and the girls are coming by at 5 am (in two hours) to pick me up, here I am tired, cold, wet, still half drunk and buzzed on adreneline.  I know if I go to sleep, I might not wake up evenif they are banging on the door downstairs (I lived withmy dad at the time in a gigantic home his bank had repoed, long story, he was out of town), so I do the only logical think and sleep on the floor right next to a phone with a long cord so they can wake me up.  (they were supposed to call when they were on their way).  I sleep in my clothes to avoid wasting time the next day.

Overnight the rain stops...but the temperature drops about FIFTY degrees, and by 5 am and most of the day it's way, way below freezing.  So the girls arrive at 5 am, I pile in their car, and it's time for ANOTHER day of drinking, partying, hanging out, etc waiting for the Stones to go on, except this time it's so nut-busting cold we end up shivering like skinless seals wrapped in our coats.  Now, I had a coat back then, that I still have now tucked away for nostalgia's sake, everyone called "The Parka".  I don't know why my parents bought me this monstrosity when I was in high school, it seemed to be expressly made for expeditions to some kind of arctic region.  I think the Miskatonic University expedition issued these to Pabodie and company when they searched out the Mountains of Madness.  It had a hood that could be FASTENED shut like a furry diving helmet....once completely wrapped up, it went down to your knees and not an inch of flesh showed.  It didn't just zip up, this SOB zipped, tied, buttoned, and had some kind of belt and little locket things that tied around the outside like a bloody straight jacket. I'm not making this next part up....I used to RENT "The Parka" out when someone had to wait for concert tickets to a show (back in the good old days when tickets weren't sold online, or by telephone, or by bums waiting in line paid by ticket resellers to get all the best seats, but first come first served and you waited all night on the hard pavement with a curb as your pillow...) on a particularly chilly night.  And it was ALWAYS a good deal...while your buddies were shivering and cursing the fates as they sat on cold concrete all night awaitng the opening of the ticket window in some dingy parking lot of a stadium, you could loll away the hours in your sweet coccoon of warmth shooting out crap like "Man, it's surrrrrre warm in here!" or "Damn, I'm SWEATING in this thing, it must be like 90 degrees in here? How you guys doing?"   You get the picture. Yes, I made hundreds of dollars throughout high school and beyond...

Well, I had The Parka that day. And I went to the concert with five very cute high school girls a year younger (I had graduated that year, they were seniors) but fitting every rung on the hot chicks/early 80s ladder. There was the skinny, tall redhead....the tiny diminuative blonde bombshell...the giant breasted dim witted brunette....the long haired just-a-few-years-too-late flower child with the Lennon glasses and patched blue jeans....and that trashy-hot chick everyone knows that gets drunk way too early in the party and passes out while you are probably making out with her.  Well, I was sitting with them all, and I had The Parka.  They being girls, they didn't dress warmly enough.  And I was NOT parting with The Parka in that below freezing frozen hell (not very gentlemanly, but dammit this is survival we are talking about).

So they took turns cuddling with me...all five of them....for the entire day.  Every hour, they would switch places, one would either sit directly on my lap (diminuative blonde or flower child) or scoot as close to me as possible in the seat next to me, and The Parka would be shut up and both of us delirious in our warm home away from home using body warmth to survive.  I think at one time a girl got on both sides and I was able to fit THREE of us in the coat (Thank you, Jesus).   To say I was delirious with power was an understatement...I was drunk with power beyond the wildest imaginings of a nerdy 18 year old teenager.  I was nice enough to never take advantage of the situation, but I think that day spent switching off with the five girls.  I was in a state of constant arousal for something like the next seven months.....Woof.  

Oh, and the concert (there was a concert, I seem to remember....).  Well, without the rain, the Stones were even more in command, in the height of their power, with their greatest lineup ever, playing their greatest hits.  Simply incredible.  They played for three full hours, as if to make up for the show they cut short the night below.  Jumping Jack Flash was the encore, Mick rode out over the crowd in a cherry picker machine, the crowd was into it all day long....it was great. Not to even mention ZZTop was just incredible the two days also, this was a little before they really hit their stride with their 80's hits, but even then they were a well respected Texas bar band with songs like "La Grange" to their credit. In a way this tour was their "coming out" party to the rest of America.

So we make it back home at about midnight.  I think I calculated that since Friday night I had gotten at most three hours of sleep in three days (We had stayed up almost all night the Friday night before drinking and shooting play and playing Stones records at a friend's house).  Thus ended the greatest concert weekend ever.

Now, to put it in perspective, I honestly don't know how I survived.  The endurance powers of youth are certainly underrated by the old. We drank about a case of beer each and a couple of bottles of whiskey to top it off.  We were soaked to the bone for several hours in chilly temperatures while dancing in lightning on top of a tall, metal builing.  Sleep was minimal.  The freezing temperatures we sat through for about 18 hours the next day should have finished us off in our weakened state. If I attempted this now, I would have fallen asleep five minutes into ZZTops opening number on the first night (that's if I made it through Loverboy's set without succuming), woke up to pee and throw up my pint of whiskey and 12 pack of beer, crawled like a whining maggot to shelter when it started pouring rain, then awoken the next morning in a hospital emergency room with hypothermia, pneumonia, and alcohol poisoning as the nurse screamed in my ear "Squeeze my hand if you can hear me!!!"

And if I had to go back in time to re-experience one weekend in my life, there is not a doubt in my mind which one it would be.....

Mike B.

A truly awesome story, Mike!  One of the best posts I have read.   
8O  8O   I love the characterizations of the girls...worthy of Stephen King (and not in a creepy sense, either...King is good at characterizations).

Worthy of a Cameron Crow movie!

I remember the Stones tour of '81 because they did two giant shows in Seattle's Kingdome.  Our college dorm was filled with peoples' friends from Alaska and other points in the West who were there to hit both concerts.

Now, if your story had included someone selling copies of Vault of the Drow back stage...well...too cool.

Mark

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 11:53 am 

FormCritic wrote:
A truly awesome story, Mike!  One of the best posts I have read.   
8O  8O   I love the characterizations of the girls...worthy of Stephen King (and not in a creepy sense, either...King is good at characterizations).

Worthy of a Cameron Crow movie!

I remember the Stones tour of '81 because they did two giant shows in Seattle's Kingdome.  Our college dorm was filled with peoples' friends from Alaska and other points in the West who were there to hit both concerts.

Now, if your story had included someone selling copies of Vault of the Drow back stage...well...too cool.

Mark

No kidding...I would have been all over that!!! :D

I think they did quite a few "double" shows that tour, I seem to remember another stop in Texas (Houston? San Antonio?) where they did a back to back.  We almost drove down to that one also....!

Everything being online these days, I could probably find a copy of their concert intenerary for that tour somewhere online if I wasn't so lazy....

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:06 pm 

killjoy32 wrote:wow Neds Atomic Dustbin! now there is a band from yester-year!!!!

Al

ps. another band who deserve a mention and i was privileged to see them in 1989, was The Ramones. simply awesome. one of the liveliest gigs i have ever seen!

BTW, sitting here working this morning, another great band I never saw...The Undertones....jamming to their first album and the "greatest hits" here.  I bet these guys put ona  helluva live show!!!  I always loved the Irish punk bands, they seemed like they were REALLY pissed off, where some of the english ones just seemed to be posing....

Here's a great review for you young'uns who have never given the Undertones a listen...pretty much makes you want to run right out and buy the CD!!!

Mike B.

What is a perfect album? One could make an argument that a perfect album is one that sets out a specific set of artistic criteria and then fulfills them flawlessly. In that respect, and many others, the Undertones' 1979 debut is a perfect album. The Northern Ireland quintet's brief story is no different than that of literally dozens of other bands to form in the wake of the Clash and, more importantly, the Buzzcocks, but the group infuses so much unabashed joy in their two-minute three-chord pop songs, and there's so little pretension in their unapologetically teenage worldview, that even the darker hints of life in songs like the suicide-themed "Jimmy Jimmy" are delivered with a sense of optimism at odds with so many of their contemporaries. There's no fewer than three all-time punk-pop classics here; besides that song, the singles "Teenage Kicks" and "Get Over You" are simple declarations of teenage hormonal lust that somehow manage to be cute instead of Neanderthal; perhaps it's Feargal Sharkey's endearingly adenoidal whine, or the chipper way the O'Neill brothers pitch in on schoolboy harmonies, like a teenage Irish Kinks. All of the other 13 songs, even the 47-second blip "Casbah Rock," are nearly to that level of brilliance, with the frenetic "Girls Don't Like It" a particular standout. The Rykodisc CD adds seven demos and single sides, and also includes an entirely different, punkier version of "True Confessions" than the nervous, new wave-influenced throb of the version on the original U.K. vinyl. ~ Stewart Mason, All Music Guide

NTRPGCON

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:32 pm 

Mike.. just FYI the Police are coming to town June 26.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:39 pm 

Mike: yeah i always liked the undertones too. they still tour nowadays, but feargal aint part of the band no more, which is a shame, as i would have gone to see them otherwise.

i tell you who i did get to see a few years back and they were a blast...The Damned....still brilliant even after all these years. saw them in a bar of all places...audience numbered prb a few hundred at most...a fabulous intimate gig - was really good fun.

they are my fave gigs tbh.

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 1:10 pm 

killjoy32 wrote:Mike: yeah i always liked the undertones too. they still tour nowadays, but feargal aint part of the band no more, which is a shame, as i would have gone to see them otherwise.

i tell you who i did get to see a few years back and they were a blast...The Damned....still brilliant even after all these years. saw them in a bar of all places...audience numbered prb a few hundred at most...a fabulous intimate gig - was really good fun.

they are my fave gigs tbh.

Al

Oh man, I love the Damned!!!!! I finally got The Black Album and Strawberries on CD a few years back.  Machine Gun Etiquette was about wore out in my apartment back in the day...we used to game to that album!!!! They've had a lot of changes though, I guess Captain Sensible isn't part of the mix on their tours now?  Their first album was also some pretty classic stuff.  I'd love to see them just to hear their old stuff.  

Mike B.

NTRPGCON

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 1:12 pm 

Sea-to-sky-games wrote:Mike.. just FYI the Police are coming to town June 26.

When do tickets go on sale?  I know KingofPain is doing backflips right now.  I guess I'll try to score tickets on the phone, then go to the overpriced ticket brokers when they sellout five minutes after going on sale.  :cry:

Mike B.

NTRPGCON

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 2:42 pm 

Badmike wrote:
Oh man, I love the Damned!!!!! I finally got The Black Album and Strawberries on CD a few years back.  Machine Gun Etiquette was about wore out in my apartment back in the day...we used to game to that album!!!! They've had a lot of changes though, I guess Captain Sensible isn't part of the mix on their tours now?  Their first album was also some pretty classic stuff.  I'd love to see them just to hear their old stuff.  

Mike B.

mike, yeah he is still in the band very much chummer!! he plays lead guitar :D

here is their official site: http://www.officialdamned.com/

shame you cant get over here to see them as they play some fabulous gigs and they have a superb set.

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 3:34 pm 

killjoy32 wrote:wow Neds Atomic Dustbin! now there is a band from yester-year!!!!

Al

Indeed I remember seeing them supporting the Wonder Stuff at the Birmingham Academy in about 1990.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 3:50 pm 

Sardan wrote:
Indeed I remember seeing them supporting the Wonder Stuff at the Birmingham Academy in about 1990.

lol! i saw the same tour!!! i caught em in liverpool and manchester. was pretty good fun.

did you ever see pop will eat itself, crazyhead or gayebikers on acid?

they were all of the same ilk imo and pretty cool live. gayebikers were well good.

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 4:19 pm 

When do tickets go on sale?  I know KingofPain is doing backflips right now.  I guess I'll try to score tickets on the phone, then go to the overpriced ticket brokers when they sellout five minutes after going on sale.  

Did anyone see these guys live at the Grammy's? I wonder if they have their act still together. Andy must be like 60 years old.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 4:30 pm 

hmmm.. top ten cds is hard. I think I have fairly eclectic taste in music, ranging from Enya & Clannad, to Wolfsheim & Rage Against the Machine.

At the moment the most listened to 10 artists on my mp3 player for this month must be:

Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers
Nerina Pallot
Rage Against the Machine
Legion of Doom
Blink 182
Aimee Mann
And Boa (if you count playing the same song on repeat (Duvet))  ;)
Pink
Linkin Park
Fleetwood Mac

I've got Just Jack (Starz in their Eyes) stuck in my head at the moment. Clever song.

:)

I saw The Damned I think in 97 at JBs in Dudley. Great night, stole their goldfish bowl (it had a plastic brain in), but had to give it back because they went nuts :(  - too big for my handbag.

(I still have to snag tickets for NIN at the Academy in Brum)

Mount Celestia doesn't want me and Baator's afraid I'll take over.

Ninty-eight Blue and Green Slaad at the door, Ninty-eight Blue and Green Slaad, Take one down, they gate in two more, Ninty-nine Blue and Green Slaad at the door...

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 4:50 pm 

Sea-to-sky-games wrote:
Did anyone see these guys live at the Grammy's? I wonder if they have their act still together. Andy must be like 60 years old.

56 actually.

Edit:  Oops, that is Sting's age.  Andy is 65.

'Nother Edit: Oh, and I did watch the first ten minutes or so of the Grammy's.  The Police still sound really great.  I thought that they screwed up Roxanne about half the way through and pulled a Milli Vanilli but I guess it was just to change the song up.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 1:13 am 

Seemed a more appropriate venue.....time to bring back this thread anyway....!

bombadil wrote:Been meaning to post this for a while.

Are any of you Texas boys fans of the 13th Floor Elevators?  

Man, that song Splash 1 is un-fricken-believable.  I love those guys.

'Course, I am into the psychedelic perspective...

Roky Erickson is the MAN!

You can still run into the dude if you live in Austin and hang around the right clubs for awhile....he's actually playing some gigs nowadays! His mental health problems are basically gone due to medication, and he's actually traveling around the US occasionally for concerts.

It's a damn shame what happened to him (read wikipedia entry if you want some info, sad story), but it's great he's finally getting the kudos due him for being a pioneer in psychedelic rock....

Favs:  You're Gonna Miss Me, Rollercoaster, Red Temple Prayer, Fire Engine...

Funny story, I once played "Red Temple Prayer" for a fellow music afficiando that knew little about Roky, afterwards he thought about if for awhile and said "Well, it's the best song I've ever heard where the chorus contains the worlds "Two Headed Dog......"

Mike B.

NTRPGCON

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 8:41 am 

Classical, and yes I know only 3 composers were from the Classical period, but they name others in that style so :P

Course if it isn't Classical, then I find the band Rhapsody (Rhapsody of Fire now) good for music that fits the mood.

So I'm not the typical Rock and Roll type, though I listen to it on the radio, just don't have it in my CD collection.

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 10:42 am 

Since a lot of the folks posting in this thread seem to be Police fans, I thought I'd let everyone know I recorded the Cleveland concert last week and posted it for download via BitTorrent at The Traders' Den. Here's the link:

http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/sho ... hp?t=42036

Plus, if anyone wants a copy but doesn't do BitTorrent, let me know and we can work something out.

"We were put on this Earth to fart around."
                            - Kurt Vonnegut

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 5:30 pm 

Great re-edit of an old Frankie Valli song - not long out - can't get it out of my head  :bounce:

http://www.myspace.com/pilooskiedits

(it's the third one - Beggin')

If you like to look at stuff, here is a youtube vid (which is OK).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvjRNYqV4ds

Let's go fly a kite
Up to the highest height!

PreviousNext