Music Love to Listen?
Author

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 1:18 am 

faro wrote:q.e.d.

quite elegant dwarf?

You can never have too much of something you didn't need in the first place.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 1:23 am 

Kingofpain89 wrote:
Whaddya mean?  I'll never get to see Olivia Newton-John, Savage Garden, or Air Supply.  :wink:

Try http://www.aussiebands.com.au/australian_rock_and_pop.htm

"... and may I remind you that this ain't the end. I can still kick some ass." - Tom Petty

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 1:26 am 

gyg wrote:
One word - - - Kylie

OK I have met the young lady.  Very nice an cute! ...

She is aslo single again, now is my chance  :wink:

"... and may I remind you that this ain't the end. I can still kick some ass." - Tom Petty

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 1:34 am 

improvstone wrote:
OK I have met the young lady.  Very nice an cute! ...

She is aslo single again, now is my chance  :wink:

I'd never be able to get past that Neighbours/mechanic/overalls thing :lol:

You can never have too much of something you didn't need in the first place.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 2:48 am 

killjoy32 wrote:
you gotta be kidding right ? :)

Gotcha  :)  :)

Yes I was kidding ... I forgot
Frankie goes to Hollywood Welcome to the Pleasure Dome

Now everything is OK

Giorgio

... And thou, Melkor, shalt see that no theme may be played that hath not its uttermost source in me, nor can any alter the music in my despite ...

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 6:18 am 

Van Halen back together without Michael Anthony? Ahhh, but Eddie Van Halen says that his son Wolfie has been playing bass guitar for "more than three months" now. We're definitely set for the tour.  :?
Here's a worthy comment on the situation by a Blabbermouth user:

"I don't care what ya say, as soon as Diamond Dave quits the band, I'm going to take over the position of
lead vocalist. I've been singing for well over 3 months.
Once I'm in the mighty Van Halen, I will kick Alex out of the band. He'll be replaced by Eric Singer.
Then I'm kicking out Eddie and replacing him with Tommy Thayer....finally, I'll kick myself out and
replace me with Paul Stanley.
Wolfie, however, will remain. He has to be better than Gene Simmons.
"

Welcome to Van KISSen !

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 3:14 am 

But the greatest two concert days in my life went like this....

October 31st and November 1st, 1981. The Rolling Stones are coming to town to support their latest album, Tattoo You.  It would be the Stones last "great" album, the last album to reach #1 and the highest a single placed up until this day. (I believe Start Me Up went to #2). The Stones had just started their world tour in September, and would be "rolling" through Dallas for two dates, a Saturday and Sunday, in an all day show at the Cotton Bowl also featuring Santana, The Fabulous Thunderbirds, Loverboy, and ZZ Top as opening bands.  Both were all day affairs ending with the Stones themselves going on in the evening and playing all night.  Ah, the good old days of all day wild ass concerts....

I had gotten tickets to both shows, each through a different set of friends, one all "guys" and one mostly "girls".  Both sets of seats were good...the first show it was upper tier, but front row (on the railing) and dead straight on to the stage. The next day was lower tier and basically right next to the stage.  The guys group shows up early Saturday morning (after drinking and pretty much staying up all night), and we split into two groups, one group has seats pretty close to the stage, we have to take our seats up in the stratosphere.  Everyone has Halloween costumes on, as does our group.  I can't really remember everyone elses getup, but I have a skeleton costume with a full headed rubber mask.  I'd say at least half the audience has costumes, everyone is going to party it up, and a party it was. It was the most outrageous party I had ever been to at a concert, at all the concourses they had booths set up selling all sorts of crap (I guess that could never happen now) and of course back in the good old days in Texas the drinking age was actually SEVENTEEN so we can legally get loaded. Of course we have already prepared, sneaking pint bottles of Jack Daniels Green Label (our preferred liquor in the old days) stuff in our pants, back then the "security" didn't care if you carried a bong stuff with pot and a rack of lamb in as long as you weren't "punk" or "hippie" looking (I don't even know if he had any hippies left around Dallas in 1981, but if you had long hair anyone over the age of 30 thought you were...We run into tons of people we know from school and work, and probably walk the concourse five times checking out all the tshirts and concert goodies as well as waiting for the music to start (and consuming large amounts of hot dogs, soft drinks, hamburgers and nachos).

Sitting through the opening bands is nervewracking, Santana is actually BOOED!  The Fabulous Thunderbirds are tolerated, but the audience goes nuts for Loverboy (who were very popular at the time). ZZTop is great, but the audience is getting antsy and applauds like crazy at their last song (more for hope the Stones are going on soon than love for 'Top).  As the bands come and go, the skies get more and more cloudy.  As it's an outdoor venue and the stage is barely covered, there is a lot of speculation the Stones won't go on if it starts raining. Rumors like wildifire sweep the crowd....the Stones have left the stadium, there is no refund for the tickets since the other bands played, the Stones will stay Monday night an put on another concert if it rains, the Stones will wait out the rain and go on afterwards, etc.  The no refund rumor really pisses us off, as it cost an unbelieveable 40 bucks for tickets! (Nowadays a 58 year old Bob Segar screeching out "Old Time Rock and Roll" for two hours will set you back $100 a seat if you dont' mind sitting in the rafters....) It does start to lightly sprinkle right before the band goes on.  When the Stones rip into "Under My Thumb", the first song, then  "Start Me Up", the heavens open up in a downpour.  About half the audience leaves for the concourse area. As we are soaked thoroughly to the bone (honestly, in two minutes even my underwear feels like I just jumped into the pool), we decide what the hell, we are soaked, we are staying.  So the five of us, with one of us futilely huddling under a coat nursing the last bottle of JD), just stand there in the rain in a mostly deserted upper tier.

The Stones have to switch to cordless instruments and after short delay are back out there.  I will say, they played the entire show, they cut it short by maybe a couple of songs, but it's a masterful gutting out of the elements as they play all their greatest hits and the best songs off Tattoo You in the rain.  The four of us (fifth guy still huddling and muttering obsenities, as the bottle had run out by then) are now dancing wildly near the railing, up to our ankles in water (seems there is no drainage system at the Cotton Bowls upper tier...), as the rain is falling and lightning striking in the background (yes stupid teenagers never think they are going to be struck my lighting holding on to a metal railing in a thunderstorm several hundred feet in the air with lightning, sheesh), and then suddenly during Sympathy For the Devil, boom, the spotlights shooting through the crowd are pegged at us, totally blinding us as we cavort in our soaked Halloween costumes. For most of the song we are basically on the stage dancing like drunken lunatics as what was left of the audience cheered us on.

At this point we are practically the ONLY people left on the upper tier. If you ever run into anyone that was there that day, ask them if they saw a bunch of idiots dancing in the rain on the top tier during the concert, chances are if they weren't blitzed they will remember us (and yes I've run across them during the decades since....!). Our friends on the bottom level looking up are screaming and pointing "Holy shit!  I't's Mike and them!  Holy shit" at the top of their lungs.

One of the absolute most fun evenings in my life! After the show, we have to find the other guys, get in our cars, and drive home through pouring rain. It takes us forever! .....we make it home in the wee hours, soaked to the bone.  I grab a shower, and notice it is 3 am....and the girls are coming by at 5 am (in two hours) to pick me up, here I am tired, cold, wet, still half drunk and buzzed on adreneline.  I know if I go to sleep, I might not wake up evenif they are banging on the door downstairs (I lived withmy dad at the time in a gigantic home his bank had repoed, long story, he was out of town), so I do the only logical think and sleep on the floor right next to a phone with a long cord so they can wake me up.  (they were supposed to call when they were on their way).  I sleep in my clothes to avoid wasting time the next day.

Overnight the rain stops...but the temperature drops about FIFTY degrees, and by 5 am and most of the day it's way, way below freezing.  So the girls arrive at 5 am, I pile in their car, and it's time for ANOTHER day of drinking, partying, hanging out, etc waiting for the Stones to go on, except this time it's so nut-busting cold we end up shivering like skinless seals wrapped in our coats.  Now, I had a coat back then, that I still have now tucked away for nostalgia's sake, everyone called "The Parka".  I don't know why my parents bought me this monstrosity when I was in high school, it seemed to be expressly made for expeditions to some kind of arctic region.  I think the Miskatonic University expedition issued these to Pabodie and company when they searched out the Mountains of Madness.  It had a hood that could be FASTENED shut like a furry diving helmet....once completely wrapped up, it went down to your knees and not an inch of flesh showed.  It didn't just zip up, this SOB zipped, tied, buttoned, and had some kind of belt and little locket things that tied around the outside like a bloody straight jacket. I'm not making this next part up....I used to RENT "The Parka" out when someone had to wait for concert tickets to a show (back in the good old days when tickets weren't sold online, or by telephone, or by bums waiting in line paid by ticket resellers to get all the best seats, but first come first served and you waited all night on the hard pavement with a curb as your pillow...) on a particularly chilly night.  And it was ALWAYS a good deal...while your buddies were shivering and cursing the fates as they sat on cold concrete all night awaitng the opening of the ticket window in some dingy parking lot of a stadium, you could loll away the hours in your sweet coccoon of warmth shooting out crap like "Man, it's surrrrrre warm in here!" or "Damn, I'm SWEATING in this thing, it must be like 90 degrees in here? How you guys doing?"   You get the picture. Yes, I made hundreds of dollars throughout high school and beyond...

Well, I had The Parka that day. And I went to the concert with five very cute high school girls a year younger (I had graduated that year, they were seniors) but fitting every rung on the hot chicks/early 80s ladder. There was the skinny, tall redhead....the tiny diminuative blonde bombshell...the giant breasted dim witted brunette....the long haired just-a-few-years-too-late flower child with the Lennon glasses and patched blue jeans....and that trashy-hot chick everyone knows that gets drunk way too early in the party and passes out while you are probably making out with her.  Well, I was sitting with them all, and I had The Parka.  They being girls, they didn't dress warmly enough.  And I was NOT parting with The Parka in that below freezing frozen hell (not very gentlemanly, but dammit this is survival we are talking about).

So they took turns cuddling with me...all five of them....for the entire day.  Every hour, they would switch places, one would either sit directly on my lap (diminuative blonde or flower child) or scoot as close to me as possible in the seat next to me, and The Parka would be shut up and both of us delirious in our warm home away from home using body warmth to survive.  I think at one time a girl got on both sides and I was able to fit THREE of us in the coat (Thank you, Jesus).   To say I was delirious with power was an understatement...I was drunk with power beyond the wildest imaginings of a nerdy 18 year old teenager.  I was nice enough to never take advantage of the situation, but I think that day spent switching off with the five girls.  I was in a state of constant arousal for something like the next seven months.....Woof.  

Oh, and the concert (there was a concert, I seem to remember....).  Well, without the rain, the Stones were even more in command, in the height of their power, with their greatest lineup ever, playing their greatest hits.  Simply incredible.  They played for three full hours, as if to make up for the show they cut short the night below.  Jumping Jack Flash was the encore, Mick rode out over the crowd in a cherry picker machine, the crowd was into it all day long....it was great. Not to even mention ZZTop was just incredible the two days also, this was a little before they really hit their stride with their 80's hits, but even then they were a well respected Texas bar band with songs like "La Grange" to their credit. In a way this tour was their "coming out" party to the rest of America.

So we make it back home at about midnight.  I think I calculated that since Friday night I had gotten at most three hours of sleep in three days (We had stayed up almost all night the Friday night before drinking and shooting play and playing Stones records at a friend's house).  Thus ended the greatest concert weekend ever.

Now, to put it in perspective, I honestly don't know how I survived.  The endurance powers of youth are certainly underrated by the old. We drank about a case of beer each and a couple of bottles of whiskey to top it off.  We were soaked to the bone for several hours in chilly temperatures while dancing in lightning on top of a tall, metal builing.  Sleep was minimal.  The freezing temperatures we sat through for about 18 hours the next day should have finished us off in our weakened state. If I attempted this now, I would have fallen asleep five minutes into ZZTops opening number on the first night (that's if I made it through Loverboy's set without succuming), woke up to pee and throw up my pint of whiskey and 12 pack of beer, crawled like a whining maggot to shelter when it started pouring rain, then awoken the next morning in a hospital emergency room with hypothermia, pneumonia, and alcohol poisoning as the nurse screamed in my ear "Squeeze my hand if you can hear me!!!"

And if I had to go back in time to re-experience one weekend in my life, there is not a doubt in my mind which one it would be.....

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 7:04 am 

Badmike wrote:But the greatest two concert days in my life went like this....

Mike B.

Mike you have to cut down on the typing ... you will burn your fingers out  :lol:

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 8:52 am 

Hopefully you have more stories like this one Mike.  I figure we will need something besides music and caffeine to keep us awake on the 14 hour drive to Indianapolis for Gen Con.  :D

Jack Daniels green label?  Sheesh!  I have only drank JD twice:  Both times were in college.  The first time I remember (vaguely) vomiting for what seemed like hours and then passing out on my dad's front porch.  The last time I drank it I passed out in the shower at my dorm room wearing all of my clothes.

Jack Daniels is a nasty, evil spirit.  :wink:

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 10:31 am 

Kingofpain89 wrote:Hopefully you have more stories like this one Mike.  I figure we will need something besides music and caffeine to keep us awake on the 14 hour drive to Indianapolis for Gen Con.  :D

Jack Daniels green label?  Sheesh!  I have only drank JD twice:  Both times were in college.  The first time I remember (vaguely) vomiting for what seemed like hours and then passing out on my dad's front porch.  The last time I drank it I passed out in the shower at my dorm room wearing all of my clothes.

Jack Daniels is a nasty, evil spirit.  :wink:

JD is God......
:P
Mike B.

NTRPGCON

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 10:32 am 

improvstone wrote:
Mike you have to cut down on the typing ... you will burn your fingers out  :lol:

I wanted to get the entire story down in written form...for my files...someday my brain isn't going to work good enough to remember stories like this, I want to be able to prove to my grandkids that Pappy B was one cool rocking dude way back in the 80's...... 8)

Mike B.

NTRPGCON

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 11:23 am 

never liked the stuff....now gimme vodka on the other hand *hic*

yeah right like i even drink anymore :)

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 1:15 pm 

Badmike wrote:
JD is God......
:P
Mike B.

Jack Daniels
American Mythos
Intermediate God of Carousing
Alignment: CN
# of Attacks: 2
Attack damage: 3-30
Special Attack: Breath Weapon
Symbol: Porcelain Wagon
Plane: Limbo

Jack Daniels appears as a middle-aged vagrant that smells of urine and vomit and has piercing bloodshot eyes.  Jack carries a very powerful weapon, a +5 crystalline mace shaped like a bottle.  Any person hit with the mace is knocked silly and loses one point of constitution permanently.  There is also a 50% chance that they piss themselves.  Jacks special attack is a breath weapon of staggering power.  He can expel a cloud of vapor in a 100' radius that will render any creature of less than 6 HD unconcious (no saving throw) for 1 day.  Creatures with more than 6 HD must save vs. death magic or also pass out.  Any 6 HD or above creatures that make their saving throw will immediately become disoriented and have a 10% chance per round of vomiting (cumulative) that they are in the cloud.  All attacks are at -4 for the duration that the creature remains in the cloud.

Jack was at one point a greater god in the American pantheon.  However, he has lost standing within their ranks due to a scandal involving Nopusforu, the goddess of chastity.  Jack has been banished to the plane of Limbo with his cohorts Jose Cuervo and Johnnie Walker.  He has also been known to cavort with the mad archmage Zagyg from time to time.

Not nearly as good as Frank's creature features but I figured I'd take a crack at it.  :)

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 4:58 pm 

Badmike wrote:
I wanted to get the entire story down in written form...for my files...someday my brain isn't going to work good enough to remember stories like this, I want to be able to prove to my grandkids that Pappy B was one cool rocking dude way back in the 80's...... 8)

Mike B.

Yes but by that stage they are just going to humour you... 'That's nice Pappy B.  Did you take your medication ... Back to the rocking chair now ...'  :lol:

Aprt for the fact they will be saying ... 'Rolling Stones?  Who are they?'  :wink:

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 5:14 pm 

improvstone wrote:Aprt for the fact they will be saying ... 'Rolling Stones?  Who are they?'  :wink:

er they will prb still be gigging then! believe me!

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 5:36 pm 

improvstone wrote:
Yes but by that stage they are just going to humour you... 'That's nice Pappy B.  Did you take your medication ... Back to the rocking chair now ...'  :lol:

Aprt for the fact they will be saying ... 'Rolling Stones?  Who are they?'  :wink:

"Grumble grumble damn kids nowadays, don't know who the Beatles, Stones and Who are....grumble grumble grumble...why, I remember when Radiohead first started out...what?  You kids never heard of Thom Yorke?  Yeh he's that old bloke....grumble grumble...things were better in those days, let me tell you, The Clash could rock the house...WHAT?  You punks never heard of the Clash?  You lamebrains, that new band you listen to called the Granny Sockers sounds like the Clash, The Jam and Buzzcocks , they just ripped off all the best punk bands and called it their own!!!  WHAT!  You little turds never heard of the Buzzcocks!!!!! Grumble..."

"Yeh, just hand Pappy B his bottle of "medicine"....it's the green bottle with "Jack Daniels" across the front....yeh, it'll make me feel better...damn kids nowadays..."

Mike B.

NTRPGCON

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 8:10 pm 

Nitty Gritty Dirt Band  - Will The Circle Be Unbroken
Neil Young -- Harvest
Crosby, Stills and Nash  - Crosby, Stills and Nash
Linda Ronstadt -- Heart Like a Wheel
Steve Miller Band -- Number 5
Beatles -- White Album
Bob Dylan -- Desire
Killers -- Hot Fuss
EmmyLou Harris -- Quarter Moon in a Ten Cent Town
George Benson -- In Flight

Best Concert - 1975 Rolling Thunder Review with Bob Dylan, Joan Baez, Roger McGuinn; Gainesville, FL

Second Best - 1996 Sting and Natalie Merchant; Orlando, FL

Saw the Police for free in Gainesville in 1979, I think.  Lots of good free concerts back in those days.  The Gainesville cops were pretty cool.  They put stickers on their cruisers that said "Support the Police" that had head shots of the three band members on it.

If all else fails, immortality can always be assured by spectacular error. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 10:37 pm 

You know you can really tell the age of this group by this thread ...

PreviousNext