Author

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 12:32 pm 

Kosh Vorlontay wrote:
Yes...oh yes.

For a good movie soundtrack:

Queen of the Damned

Excellent!

one of the soundtracks i quite like is the blade one....thats pretty cool.

one of my fave tracks off a soundtrack has to be from Hackers.... The Prodigy "Voodoo People" - great song.

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 12:48 pm 

On the "classic" side:
1) Tie: The Jimi Hendrix Experience - Electric Ladyland AND The Velvet Undergound and Nico- s/t (none of them has lost charm over the years);
2) MC5 - Kick Out the Jams (this one hasn't lost its PUNCH; I couldn't believe the album was actually recorded in 1968);
3) Little Richard - Here's Little Richard (and here's the actual "classic"; when I was 5 or 6 my father bought me some early rock compilations, and Little Richard became my then-favourite singer  :D ).

On the "heavy" side:
1) Judas Priest - Stained Class (PRIEST! PRIEST! PRIEST!);
2) Motörhead- Overkill (Lemmy Kilminster: the thinking man of rock'n roll);
3) Tie: AC/DC - Back in Black (according to W&A's website, this pairs with the Stones' Sticky Fingers as the "kickassest - not the best, but the two are closely related  8)  - record in rock'n roll history... and, to an extent, I agree!) and Iron Maiden - s/t.

On the "whatever" side:
1) King Crimson- In the Court of the Crimson King (the sheer quantity of good songwriting presented herein is unbelievable);
2) The Pixies - Surfer Rosa (same reason of the preceding album, although the results are different);
3) Triple tie: Minutemen - Double Nickels on the Dime AND  Opeth - Still Life AND Skyclad - Prince of the Poverty Line (same ol' reason as the above records, but these three are a recent discovery).

And, last but not least:

1) Blind Guardian - Nightfall in Middle-Earth (since I'm European, these German guys provided my first introduction to the world of heavy music, and it was a pleasant one - altough a bit misleading, as the hordes of European power metal fans should suggest. Besides, I had to round up the list   :wink:  ).

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 3:34 pm 

If stranded on a desert island and only 10.. hmm... that is pretty impossible but my best guess would be, in no particular order:

1. Ride the Lightning (Metallica)
Best combination of speed, power, melody, and production in their catalogue. Kill 'em all was a bit too raw, Master of Puppets a bit too produced.

2. 90125 (Yes)
Close to the Edge and Fragile might be technically better records, but this one was a stark change of pace for them and has some of the best melodies they've ever written. And hey, it's an eighties record so it has to come.

3. Vapor Trails (Rush)
Best album they've ever made. Can 50 year olds get pissed off? It sure sounds like it!

4. Walk On (Boston)
No Delp, but the melodies on this one were fantastic and it was sonically very impressive. I will never get tired of this one. I love their debut, but this has a special place in my heart.

5. Operation Mindcrime (Queensryche)
One of the better concept records. Warning has the better songs.. but not the cool storyline. I'm giving this record this spot instead of Abigail or Conspiracy by King Diamond.. a tough call.

6. Tunnel of Love (Springsteen)
Pretty much any Springsteen will do. This is my favorite. If you ever contemplate marriage, you have to listen to this record first.

7. Number of the Beast/A Matter of Life and Death (Maiden)
Their latest record is amazing.. but their golden era is hard to top. A toss up.

8. Sabotage (Sabbath)
Hard to knock the first 5 records -- because they're all amazing -- but if I had to choose, Sabotage had the most compelling songwriting of the bunch. The Symptom of the Universe has to be on any desert island...

9. Chemical Wedding (Dickinson)
The best metal record of the 1990s and it's not even close.

10. Hysteria (Def Leppard)
Can you believe I'm taking this one over Priest's Sad Wings of Destiny? Yes. This record had like 10 singles and there's not a weak track on this disc. It's not cutting edge by any stretch of the imagination, but it melded melody and metal perfectly. This thing was in the top40 for like 3 or 4 years and earns a place on the island.

Way too many honorable mentions..

Prolific Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 4:28 pm 

/delurk

I love the threads that aren't about eBay … even if they aren't about classic D&D.  :)

I'm back working on my old Moldvay/AD&D1 Greyhawk hybrid btw, if anyone who plays Castles & Crusades (haven't tried it yet) has any particularly elegant Gygaxian mechanics they'd like to hint at.  E-mail me!

#10 Pink Floyd:  Dark Side of the Moon
#9 Mono:  Formica Blues
#8 Dead Can Dance:  Within the Realm of a Dying Sun
#7 And Also the Trees:  Farewell to the Shade
#6 Bel Canto:  Shimmering, Warm & Bright
#5 Hooverphonic:  Blue Wonder Power Milk
#4 Goldfrapp:  Felt Mountain
#3 Cocteau Twins:  Victorialand
#2 Rise and Fall of a Decade:  self-titled
#1 Claire Voyant:  Time and the Maiden

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 5:19 pm 

Hmmm....it's hard to narrow it down to just 10...that's for sure. In fact, I just can't narrow it down to 10. I've cut my list to 18, but I just can't leave any of these off...

In no particular order...

1. Rush - A Farewell to Kings
2. Cream - Disraeli Gears
3. Black Sabbath - Master of Reality
4. AC/DC - High Voltage
5. Chili Peppers - Blood/Sugar/Sex/Magic
6. Led Zep - Physical Graffiti
7. The Doors - Morrison Hotel
8. Nirvana - In Utero
9. Robert Palmer - Pressure Drop
10. Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon
11. Scorpions - Lovedrive
12. The Police - Zenyatta Mondatta
13. ZZ top - Tres Hombres
14. Styx - The Grand Illusion
15. Van Halen - Fair Warning
16. Iron Maiden - Killers
17. Judas Priest - Unleashed in the East
18. Steely Dan - Aja

Active Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 5:25 pm 

Here's my list (in no particular order)....

AC/DC - Highway To Hell
Scorpions - Love At First Sting
Motley Crue - Shout At The Devil
Ratt - Out Of The Cellar
Poison - Look What The Cat Dragged In
Dokken - Under Lock And Key
AC/DC - Back In Black
Judas Priest - Screaming For Vengeance
Pink Floyd - The Wall
Skid Row - Skid Row

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 5:32 pm 

Ratt - Out Of The Cellar
Dokken - Under Lock And Key

Lynch and Demartini had some of the best riffs in the business. Those are really great records.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 6:10 pm 

This thread is not fair for me, as I would have a difficult time listing the Top 10 bands that I like, let alone my Top 10 albums. My music interests are prett varied and diverse as I like just about anything besides elevator type music, "soft rock" and country.

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 6:27 pm 

yeah i am the same. my tastes vary massively and i find more nowadays, that i like to listen to songs on their own more than a particular band or a particular album....

i am building new tracklists for my training all the time

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 7:06 pm 

bclarkie wrote:This thread is not fair for me, as I would have a difficult time listing the Top 10 bands that I like, let alone my Top 10 albums. My music interests are prett varied and diverse as I like just about anything besides elevator type music, "soft rock" and country.

Brian, I can sympathise.  I love music full stop and don't spend much time comparing bands.  If I like a band then I like them.  Though like Badmike I have a leaning towards guitarists and love guys like:

Eric Johnson
    Robben Ford
    Jeff Beck
    Carlos Santana

The first two which I have been fortunate to meet.   You just reminded me I have a friend in the US right now who is promoting an album and is searching the guitar shops for some gear for me.

"... and may I remind you that this ain't the end. I can still kick some ass." - Tom Petty

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 8:32 pm 

improvstone wrote:
Brian, I can sympathise.  I love music full stop and don't spend much time comparing bands.  If I like a band then I like them.  Though like Badmike I have a leaning towards guitarists and love guys like:

Eric Johnson
    Robben Ford
    Jeff Beck
    Carlos Santana

The first two which I have been fortunate to meet.   You just reminded me I have a friend in the US right now who is promoting an album and is searching the guitar shops for some gear for me.

I'll try to keep my feelings of envy to a minimum.  :)   Eric Johnson is simply an amazing musician.  I kick myself every time I hear him play because I could have seen him along with just about every other guitar great currently alive.  A few years ago Eric Clapton organized a guitar festival here in Dallas.  I think it was a 3 day event and included guys like Carlos Santana, Joe Walsh, Jeff Beck, Robert Cray, B.B. King and several others I cant recall.  Eric Johnson was also there and I had tickets to go and everything.  Two days before I came down with a respiratory infection.  The day I was planning on going I had a temperature of 102 F, couldnt eat, and was delirious with all the drugs I was taking.

I ended up giving the tickets to my brother and a friend of his.  Bastards.  :x

Come to think of it...I have missed several "once-in-a-lifetime" concerts due to illness or family emergencies over the years.  The most difficult to stomach was Pink Floyd during their "Pulse" tour.  I already told my wife that I would sell her into slavery to get tickets for The Police if they decide to do a reunion tour this year.  She didnt find it funny at all.  :D

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 9:19 pm 

Kingofpain89 wrote:
Come to think of it...I have missed several "once-in-a-lifetime" concerts due to illness or family emergencies over the years.  The most difficult to stomach was Pink Floyd during their "Pulse" tour.  I already told my wife that I would sell her into slavery to get tickets for The Police if they decide to do a reunion tour this year.  She didnt find it funny at all.  :D

Copeland and Sting are talking again?  I am surprised IIRC they had a huge falling out.  Nonetheless a Police tour would be cool.  Andy is a great player and I love Stewart's (Mr Potato Head) drumming.

I also heard Van Halen with David Lee are touring in the US this year.  

We get nothing in Australia.  At least you have the chance to see the tour we miss out big time!  :evil:

"... and may I remind you that this ain't the end. I can still kick some ass." - Tom Petty

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 9:26 pm 

The Police are going to reunite at the Grammys this Sunday.

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 9:27 pm 

Kingofpain89 wrote:
 I already told my wife that I would sell her into slavery to get tickets for The Police if they decide to do a reunion tour this year.  She didnt find it funny at all.  :D

Because she knew you were telling the truth!!! :D

I don't know if you remember my Police story, King.  I'll tell it for everyone.  Back in 1980, the Police had just released Zenyatta Mendatta and were starting to tour.  A friend of mine bought tickets to see them, I had never even heard of them really, I guess I knew "Roxanne" but that was about it.  At the last minute his date bailed, out, so he came by my house begging me to go.  I refused, I was going to listen to the debut of the Cars new album Panorama that night on the radio!!! (I was a huge Cars fan).  He finally convinced me to go (he had to promise me he'd BUY ME Panorama when it was released the next week!!!). We had 2nd row seats at McFarlin auditorium.....which was a college's (SMU in Dallas) theatre...basically, about as big as your high school auditorium if you attended a fairly big high school (I remember thinking it wasn't quite as big as my high school auditorium, which was a pretty decent sized high school).  So not knowing who the hell The Police were, I got to see a show of theirs at the very cusp of them becoming superstars, standing about ten feet away the entire show....the next time I saw them, in the mid 80's, was in a gigantic arena where they were small dots on the far away stage.  But for one night The Cars were forgotten as I got to experience the power of Sting and the boys in a intimate setting. Pretty cool memory, however the only thing I really remember about the show was they actually did "Roxanne" twice: during the show, and as an encore.   I don't know if they didn't have enough material, or if they just thought what the hell, let's do it again!!! That, and walking back to the car with my friend Chris as we both kept saying over and over again that was the best show we had ever seen!!!! (In our young teenaged lives up until then, that is)

And the best part? The opening band were new wave darlings XTC....who at that time were at probably the height of their popularity, having just released Black Sea ("Generals and Majors" was getting a lot of airplay) Pretty awesome double play, just wish I could go back in time and experience this instead of wasting the experience on a dumb ass 17 year old..... :cry:

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 11:56 pm 

Plaag wrote:The Police are going to reunite at the Grammys this Sunday.

ShaneG.

Yep.  I havent watched the Grammy's in over a decade.  But I will be glued to the screen for at least the first 15 minutes.

I heard on the local classic rock station this morning that the band members would be holding a press conference after the Grammy's.  Hopefully to announce a reunion tour.  :mrgreen:

I also heard Van Halen with David Lee are touring in the US this year.

I wouldnt mind seeing Van Halen with Roth.  But something about Wolfgang Van Halen on bass instead of Michael Anthony just doesnt seem right.  :?

We get nothing in Australia. At least you have the chance to see the tour we miss out big time!

Whaddya mean?  I'll never get to see Olivia Newton-John, Savage Garden, or Air Supply.  :wink:

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 11:59 pm 

Not necessarily in this order:

10) Simon and Garfunkel The Concert in Central Park
9) The Cure - Disintegration
8 ) Pearl Jam 10
7 Phish Rift
6 Neil Diamond - Any of the Greatest Hits collections  
5 Counting Crow August and Everything After
4 Rush Moving Pictures
3 Pink Floyd Dark Side of the Moon
2 The Who Tommy
1 Pink Floyd The Wall

There are many than I didn't get to name:  David Bowie, Wallflowers, Johnny Cash, Depeche Mode, Police, Bob Dylan, Billy Joel, John Denver and many more . . .

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 12:37 am 

improvstone wrote:
We get nothing in Australia.  

One word - - - Kylie

You can never have too much of something you didn't need in the first place.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 12:38 am 

gyg wrote:
improvstone wrote:We get nothing in Australia.

One word - - - Kylie

q.e.d.

"7.3 ORGANIZING THE PARTY: Always have a keg, even if it's BYOB...
7.4 TAKING THE GAME SERIOUSLY: Don't"

PreviousNext