Music Love to Listen?
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 6:12 pm 

Badmike wrote:
7.        The Stone Roses

Another album that practically invented a genre, The Manchester Sound....groups like The Happy Mondays, Oasis, Blur, hell every early 90's shoegazer and indie band owe something to the Roses.  The 60's hooks and nods to psychedelica (most evident on I Wanna Be Adored and Fool's Gold) are sold by the perfect basslines and rhythms.  And yeh I wore out the 8 minute "I am the Resurrection" on my cassette I had at the time this came out....

Mike B.

Just seen this.....the Stone Roses were my formative years.  They were the best, though not the most popular, Manchester band.  Personally the best song is Waterfall.  John Squire at his best.  I cannot recommend it enough.  

White Stripes, Cranberries, Faithless, The Charlatans, Rolling Stones and Queen also deserve a mention.

Current music; Killers and Kaiser Chiefs.  The new Killers song, Human, is a winner.

http://www.last.fm/music/The+Charlatans/+videos/5481335 The Charlatans Only one I know

http://www.last.fm/music/The+Stone+Roses/_/Waterfall Stone Roses Waterfall

HAppY D@ys! 8O

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:18 pm 

simonmwh wrote:
Just seen this.....the Stone Roses were my formative years.  They were the best, though not the most popular, Manchester band.  Personally the best song is Waterfall.  John Squire at his best.  I cannot recommend it enough.  

The Roses first album is one of those I never get tired of listening to.  Seems to have aged very well, still one of my favorites 20 years later!

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:47 pm 

Oh so slowly working my way through a ridiculous amount of music CDs, pruning the collection; when I came across the album "Snow in June" by The Northern Pikes (1990). Didn't remember a thing about it; it's really quite good, Canadian band that didn't get a lot of airplay here in the states.  Any of you Canucks remember this band?  Apparantly they were quite popular in Canada during the late 80's/early 90s, with a lot of Top 40 songs.  They broke up in 1995; do they still get any airplay up there?  Nice late 80's folk/bar rock, lots of good bands like these before Nirvana ruined everything and a lot of absolute crap grunge got airplay through the early 90s....

Mike B.

"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 4:33 pm 

Just got back in touch with a friend in Houston, Clinton Heider, whose band The Linus Pauling Quartet has been putting out dungeon-friendly albums for the last 15 years. http://www.myspace.com/linuspaulingquartet

Of particular interest is the ongoing saga of Mournebong & Stonebringer, from albums such as "Ashes In the Bong of God."

http://notacompliment.blogspot.com/2004 ... chive.html
"Mournbong and Stonebringer are twin bongs, forged by a forgotten race on a distant planet. When the planet was destroyed, a few refugees escaped, bringing the bongs and seeds from their best hydro to Earth, where they fought an eon-long battle with the Bug People, the earth's protean inhabitants. Both races were nearly destroyed and their remnants driven into remote places, but the aliens passed their legacy, and the Twin Bongs of Power, to humanity as they slowly emerged from apedom. The bongs have been carried by many of the masters of the human race: brought back from the far east by the Greeks during the time of Alexander, they passed into the hands of the Roman Emperors, but were separated from one another during this time. William the Conqueror brought Mournbong into England at Hastings, for example - even as Stonebringer languished in the hands of the Popes. Supposedly Hitler had a plot to obtain both bongs, and fulfill the medieval legend that stated the apocalypse would occur when a single man wielded both at the same time - conquering both time and space, as it were, in the Great Singularity: an event where man himself becomes omnipotent and thereby destroys the universe in his ignorance. This was thwarted, but almost came to pass again recently when my high school dope buddy Mike Gunn obtained both bongs through a series of chance occurrences. Fortunately, Mike's mom confiscated his bongs and his stash prior to the planned smoke-in, and thereby the human race narrowly avoided the apocalypse. We think the bongs are probably in the control of the NSA at this time, though rumor has it that Mike managed to keep Mournbong and still uses it occasionally."

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 5:19 pm 

sauromatian wrote:http://notacompliment.blogspot.com/2004 ... chive.html
"Mournbong and Stonebringer are twin bongs,

Oh, dear God.   :lol:

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 6:00 pm 

Best thing about the internet ever (well apart from the Acaeum of course)...

Spotify!

It's free and it's brilliant.  

Although I still buy music as well.  Just got the stereolab CD/DVD compilation, which I can deffo recommend.

Let's go fly a kite
Up to the highest height!

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:09 am 

A tribute to all of us who've spent our lives toiling away at RPG campaigns in dark basements & seeking out hidden collectible treasures, this Merle Travis standard:

Dark As A Dungeon

Oh come all you young fellers so young and so fine
Seek not your fortune in a dark dreary mine
It'll form as a habit and seep in your soul
Till the stream of your blood runs as black as the coal
Where it's dark as a dungeon and damp as the dew
Where the danger is double and pleasures are few
Where the rain never falls the sun never shines
It's as dark as a dungeon way down in the mine

Well it's many a man that I've seen in my day
Who lived just to labor his whole life away
Like a fiend with his dope and a drunkard his wine
A man will have lust for the lure of the mine
Where it's dark as a dungeon ....
And pray when I'm dead and my ages shall roll
That my body would blacken and turn into coal
Then I'll look from the door of my heavenly home and pity the miner digging my bones
Where it's dark as a dungeon...

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:38 pm 

Been doing a lot of nostalgic CD listening lately, time to add another list of ten really great CDs no one has heard of or might have forgotten or just rock my world.  Anyone else have some musical stylings you want to share?  

The next ten, just have to do the writeups, anything to put off actually working on real stuff :

Susan Across the Ocean----The Silos
Setting Sons---The Jam
Rattlesnakes---Lloyd Cole and the Commotions
Oh My God Charlie Darwin---The Low Anthem
Get Born---Jet
Highway to Hell---AC/DC
Ultravivid Scene (1st)
Let It Be (Naked)---The Beetles
The Sound of Music---The Dbs
Everything You Thought Was Right Was Wrong Today---Slobberbone

Mike B.