Music Love to Listen?
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 11:30 pm 

Badmike wrote:
I went on a Cheap Trick run a couple years ago. Anything past Dream Police is just so-so at best, crap at worst, though.

Birds look interesting...I'll check them out.

There is no doubt Albini is very, very wealthy (he owns his own recording studio outright and only chooses projects he himself likes). But he's one interesting cat.  IIRC he only charges what a band can afford, often lowering his rates or dispensing with them for new bands.  One of the very few good guys in the music industry.

Miike B.

for the last decade or so he'll pretty much record anybody that calls and wants to make a record with him. His rates are right on his site: www.electrical.com and they are universally affordable for just about any budget. He's one of the most honest and nice people I have had the pleasure of meeting and chatting with. He still answers the studio phone himself most of the time and will answer any question you may have about recording, equipment, poker or baseball.

I'm pretty sure he sunk most of his "fortune" into building his world-class recording studio back in 1997ish which I'm sure is quite the overhead to run these days... and I'm almost certain he only takes a 30k per-year salary for himself. Rememebr he has never taken a percentage on any record he has worked on... including Nirvana.

True a dying breed.

I like the last few Cheap Trick records a lot too... basically all of the Tom Petersson records are good...

PM your addy I might be able to send you some MP3s or Birds... I also ran Tee Pee Records for 2 years (2006-2008)... let me know if you are looking for any of that stuff. maybe we can work out a trade ;)

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 11:41 am 

TheMilford wrote:
PM your addy I might be able to send you some MP3s or Birds... I also ran Tee Pee Records for 2 years (2006-2008)... let me know if you are looking for any of that stuff. maybe we can work out a trade ;)

Not familiar with the label but I am pretty much 4-5 years behind all musical trends...it takes that long for a band to enter my sphere of conciousness (I just started getting into Radiohead a few years ago, for example, and I discoverd the Australian band Jet just last year).  My focus is 70s-90s power pop/alternative, 90's lo fi (aka Guided by Voices, Luna, Yo La Tengo), 70s mod/punk, 60's garage bands, and anything from the new century that sounds like it could have come out in 1981 (aka Jet, The Strokes, Arctic Monkeys, Libertines, Kings of Leon, etc).  If there's a guitar in there, someone pounding a drum set like Keith Moon, and a singer talking about scoring chicks I'm probably into it.... :D

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 12:09 pm 

How about for fun, Bands NOT Love to Listen???? :D

I own a couple thousand CDs....everything from Big Band to The Libertines in terms of timeline, everything from electronic stuff to light metal (AC/DC) to country to punk to alternative to Top 40 to classic rock to garage band......and none of the below bands makes an appearance in my collection.

Here's a quick list off the top of my head:

1.  The Smiths:  How Soon is Now? and Girlfriend in a Coma are pretty good.  Everything else from the Master of Moaning, Morrissey, makes me want to take a long jump off a tall bridge with a short rope around my neck...

2.  80's glam Metal (Scorpions, Poison, Ratt).  Yech.  The 80's had some bad spots.

3.  Depeche Mode:  Except for their first album, I pretty much hate everything they did afterwards.  Robotic, souless, and boring music.

4.  80's speed metal (Metallica, Anthax, Megadeath, Slayer).  I know it technically takes great skill to play this, but it's all noise to me.

5. Commerical rap:  Some dude trying to sound bad-ass (white or black) bragging about shit like getting shot, slapping his bitches around, or blowing his cash annoys the hell out of me when I know he's about as "street" as my grandma.  

6.  Anyone who doesn't write their own music or play an instrument, lip synchs in concert, and relies more on their dance moves than any actual musical content:  Yes, all boy bands, Brittany and Miley, I'm looking at you.

7.  PJ Harvey. I've tried, tried, and tried over the years to get into her music because she's critically acclaimed.  I've finally come to the conclusion it's not me.

8.  Madonna:  I will give her that she is the greatest marketer (of a product called Madonna) in the history of rock, and has done a lot of interesting things.  I really dislike her music, though. Everything she does seems so perfectly calculated and set up, I bet a marketing team with people named "Duke", "Marty" and "Savannah" plan her every nuance on stage, and in her personal life, down to the last nipple twitch or divorce filing.  I can fall asleep watching her, half nude or not (Madonna, not me).  Oh yeh and she's ugly (there, I said it).  

9. Elvis: Besides the fact he didn't write his own music, and had one of the most godawful backing bands in rock history, I just don't think anything he did is really that interesting. His foray into really bad gospel only shows he never really took rock seriously anyway.

10. Jimmy Buffet. I can handle one song of his, one, and that's it. Then everything afterwards sounds absolutely the same.  Made a career out of tricking rich yuppie hippie-wanna be's into thinking they are "cool" if they drink to excess, sing along, and wear stupid clothing.  Kill me.

Mike B.

NTRPGCON

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 12:36 pm 

Badmike wrote:I own a couple thousand CDs....

This is totally off topic, but I am getting the impression you have collections of collections...maybe even three houses just keep all the stuff!  :wink:

I'll start a new thread, How many collections of collections do you have? :)

Truth is worth finding and life is too short to work for money.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:26 pm 

Badmike wrote:How about for fun, Bands NOT Love to Listen???? :D

I will listen, but these tapes/CDs don't get much love from me:

(1) Any nu-metal, unless it has a female vocalist.
(2) Black Sabbath with Ozzy.
(3) Yes after Tormato.
(4) Metallica after Master of Puppets
(5) Skyclad after Martin Walkyier left.
(6) Marillion after Fish left.
(7) Fish after Internal Exile.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:31 pm 

benjoshua wrote:This is totally off topic, but I am getting the impression you have collections of collections...maybe even three houses just keep all the stuff!  :wink:

I'll start a new thread, How many collections of collections do you have? :)

Mike is a cross-addicted collector.  He has comics, CDs, MP3s, RPGs, RPG scans, books . . .

He even has the Deadlands RPG soundtracks.  No, wait . . . I have those.  :)

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 10:11 am 

Just got into Redcould for some reason.  Don't even know how I stumbled across it, but hey, Native American rap has got to be worth at least a listen, and the song about Little Bighorn is pretty damn cool.  

Anyone else here a fan of Inuit "throat singing"?

Let mirth prevail!

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:34 am 

JohnGaunt wrote:I will listen, but these tapes/CDs don't get much love from me:

(1) Any nu-metal, unless it has a female vocalist.
(2) Black Sabbath with Ozzy.
(3) Yes after Tormato.
(4) Metallica after Master of Puppets
(5) Skyclad after Martin Walkyier left.
(6) Marillion after Fish left.
(7) Fish after Internal Exile.

Nu Metal - Nu metal is a heavy metal genre that emerged in the mid 1990s which fuses influences from grunge and alternative metal with funk music, hip hop and various heavy metal genres.

I can't imagine why you would give anything like that any love at all.  PDT_Armataz_01_23

Although I do enjoy a bit of symphonic power metal every so often.  Nightwish and Lacuna Coil are pretty good.

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 12:55 pm 

Badmike wrote:How about for fun, Bands NOT Love to Listen???? :D

Although I have a diverse taste in music I will not listen to the following under any circumstances unless I am most likely howling drunk.

1. Rap/Hip Hop.  Even howling drunk I wont listen to this garbage that only people with zero musical talent spew out of their cakehole.  Yes I am talking to you Vanilla Ice.

2. Disco.  Although I do enjoy a Bee Gees tune now and again, they are the exception.

3. Britney Spears (and anyone remotely like her).  I'll never forget the first song I heard of hers on MTV.  I was floored by how bad it was.  Why is it that in every song of her voice is augmented electronically?  Oh right...because she cant sing.

4. Celine Dion.  Talented....yes.  Enjoyable....no.  Makes it all the worse that my wife loves her music.

5. The Carpenters.  My mother loved 'em and I can recall their 8 tracks strewn around the house and in the car when I was a kid.  I know the lyrics to almost every one of their songs.  Would rather listen to cows chew grass.

6. Creed.  Scott Stapp is the anti-christ.  Seriously.

7. Primus.  What's up with the names of these guys' albums?  Pork Soda, Sailing the Seas of Cheese, The Brown Album.  Their music was even more ridiculous.

8. Mariah Carey.  Crap....just crap.

9. Frank Zappa.  Sorry, I just dont get any of it.  I dont do LSD or any other hallucinogen so maybe that is my problem.  :wink:

10. Elvis.  King of Rock n' Roll.  If ever a king was just a figurehead this is definitely the case.

I'm gonna go throw up now.  :D

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 1:53 pm 

bombadil wrote:Just got into Redcould for some reason.  Don't even know how I stumbled across it, but hey, Native American rap has got to be worth at least a listen, and the song about Little Bighorn is pretty damn cool.  

Anyone else here a fan of Inuit "throat singing"?

I don't even know what that is, unless it's the punchline for a really dirty joke.... :D

I do have a cd of pygmies from Africa banging the drums....seemed like I purchased it for background music for a Call of Cthulhu game.  Actually it's pretty evocative stuff.  Also just found a cd that's a couple hours of rainstorms....can't remember why on earth I bought that one. Sounds like something I need to use as background music.  Norvk campaigners, get really for REALLY bad weather in our D&D world for the next session.... :D

Mike B.

NTRPGCON

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 1:56 pm 

Badmike wrote:I own a couple thousand CDs....

And I used to think I was bad. 8O

Anyway, Last.fm informs me that over the past 5 years the bands I've loved to listen to are:
  • Swans
  • Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds
  • Leonard Cohen
  • Hüsker Dü
  • Billy Bragg
  • The Mekons
  • Tom Waits
  • The Jesus and Mary Chain (Sorry, Mike, gotta disagree on your assessment of Stoned & Dethroned.  I'm more of a Honey's Dead man myself.)
  • Einstürzende Neubauten
  • Sonic Youth.
On the other hand, over the past 3 months it's been:
  • John Coltrane
  • The Jesus and Mary Chain
  • Tortoise
  • Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart
  • Leonard Cohen
  • Mogwai
  • Godspeed You! Black Emperor
  • The Smiths (:P to Mike.)
  • Tom Waits
  • Retribution Gospel Choir

And I see Mike also mentioned Guided By Voices.  All I have to say is: if ever anybody needed quality control, it was Rob Pollard.  I swear he had the uncanny ability to scatter one great album worth of material across a half-dozen albums.

"Reader, Carthegena was of the mind, that unto thoſe Three Things, which the Ancients held Impoſſible, there ſhould be added this Fourth ; To find a Book Printed without Errata's."

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 3:16 pm 

Kingofpain89 wrote:7. Primus.  What's up with the names of these guys' albums?  Pork Soda, Sailing the Seas of Cheese, The Brown Album.  Their music was even more ridiculous.

I think that one of Primus' guitar players was in Possessed, the legendary thrash/death/Satanic metal group from the 80s.  Ah, here it is:

. . . http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Larry_LaLonde
9. Frank Zappa.  Sorry, I just dont get any of it.  I dont do LSD or any other hallucinogen so maybe that is my problem.  :wink:

Zappa didn't do drugs.  Seriously.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 3:26 pm 

g026r wrote:
And I used to think I was bad. 8O

The Jesus and Mary Chain (Sorry, Mike, gotta disagree on your assessment of Stoned & Dethroned.  I'm more of a Honey's Dead man myself

It's not a bad album...but I wouldn't even put it as one of my favoite J&MC albums (Psychcandy is even better IMO).

And I see Mike also mentioned Guided By Voices.  All I have to say is: if ever anybody needed quality control, it was Rob Pollard.  I swear he had the uncanny ability to scatter one great album worth of material across a half-dozen albums.

Guided by Voices has a lot of great 2 minute songs, I'd agree. And if he had someone to pull it togther he  could have 3 albums of 10 great 3-4 minute songs instead of numerous albums with 30 one minute snippets.....

Mike B.

NTRPGCON

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 3:31 pm 

Badmike wrote:Guided by Voices has a lot of great 2 minute songs, I'd agree. And if he had someone to pull it togther he  could have 3 albums of 10 great 3-4 minute songs instead of numerous albums with 30 one minute snippets.....

There's a reason that when I did a clean out of my CD collection a while back I only kept the GBV "Best Of" CD. ;)

I haven't been following his solo work, but from what I hear it's more of the same: a few good to great songs buried among entire albums worth of filler.

"Reader, Carthegena was of the mind, that unto thoſe Three Things, which the Ancients held Impoſſible, there ſhould be added this Fourth ; To find a Book Printed without Errata's."

Prolific Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:19 pm 

Dreadful bands NOT to listen (so many to choose)

1 Can
2 Amon Duul
3 Sleepy Time Gorilla Museum
4 Kajagoogoo
5 Candlemass

An té nach mbíonn láidir ní folláir dó bheith glic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-ajduHx5hc

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:35 pm 

obiter wrote:Dreadful bands NOT to listen (so many to choose)

2 Amon Duul

Amon Duul's Die Losung has Robert Calvert on vocals.  It's a better album than nearly all of Calvert's solo albums.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:46 pm 

1 Can

Dem's fightin' words. :)

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 4:00 pm 

ditto ^^

1 Can
2 Amon Duul

have to pick friends better :lol: :lol: presuming mean II on #2??

PreviousNext