Q about Poly Bags
Author

Active Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Nov 25, 2002 4:48 pm 

Hello all.  I have a basic question regarding storage. Like a good collector, I've tried keeping my items in poly bags with backings. I've been able to store most of my magazines, modules and accesories in this manner with standard magazine size bags (8-3/4" x 11"). However, manuals, oversize items (like the World of Greyhawk folio), undersize items (like the OD&D supplements) and box sets have proven to be a problem. I've been keeping the manuals and folio's in oversize bags (the kind used to store Life magazine size items) and have just folded and taped the bags to match the size of the item - same with the supplements, using regular magazine size bags, but that's kina lame. I haven't tried bagging the box sets. I know that there are places where you can get a wide variety of poly bags, but before trying to guess which sizes to order, I figure I'd ask you folks which size bags you have found work best for the above problem items.  Thanks, Rene

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Nov 25, 2002 5:38 pm 

Hi Evl, I use 9.5x11 poly bags with acid proof boards. They fit lots of oversized items very easily. I like to get bags a bit larger than the item mostly because if you use a 8.75x11, some items fit in their tightly which can cause problems later on. I use the larger bags that way the item fits snuggly and not so tightly.  As to undersized items like original D&D booklets (greyhawk, etc) my comic store has these bags and boards that are about 6x9? I'm taking a guess right there as I didn't measure it but they fit my booklets nicely and snuggly and leaves room for the item to breathe.  Go to your comic store and ask what sized bags and boards they have. Most tend to care many different sizes so that hopefully should answer your question.  To recap, for modules, manuals, etc use 9.5x11. That size will fit most of all large items. If your item is a bit larger then go to your comic store and they should have a right size bag and board for it.  For undersized items like booklets and digest sized items, use 6x9s. (I'll go back and measure it)

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Nov 26, 2002 12:33 am 

Ready to hear more about bags than you ever wanted to?  Good!  Read on, then!  The biggest problem with finding the right size bag for the job is that there is a great deal of variability between brands, and even occasionally within the same brand.  A ComiCare mag bag is not the same size as an Ultrapro mag bag, and (depending on the batch) a polyeth ComiCare mag bag is not the same size as a polypro ComiCare mag bag.  Yes, it's all horribly frustrating but the good news is they're all pretty close.  This means that sometimes if you have a module that's just a tiny bit too big for the bag, trying a different brand or type might make a difference.  As for hardbacks, I have never yet found a bag that fits satisfactorily.  I happen to like them snug, so I also use the fold over and tape method.  There are a number of different sizes that will work, but what they are called depends on the company.  Ultrapro makes Role Playing-sized bags which are about an inch wider and taller than the average magazine bag.  These also work great on small- and medium-sized boxed sets.  Most bag companies also produce something called either Treasury or Life bags which are bigger still.  Dimensions vary wildly depending on the company, but the bottom line is that almost any RPG item made will fit in this size of bag.  Most comic stores don't stock these on a regular basis but they can order them for you.  For the really big items that won't fit treasury you'll have to go with something obscenely huge and just settle for the fold over.  Some bag companies produce newspaper, folded newspaper, half-sheet and one-sheet sized bags.  I've mostly used a company called Fun Yet Bags for these.  Smaller items can also be tricky, mainly because dimensions again vary considerably by company.  Fun Yet's digest-sized bags are perfect fits for most of the early TSR booklets.  Some companies also call these TV Guide bags.  If you've got plenty of money to blow on it, I very highly recommend Bill Cole 1mm Arklites, at least for the more expensive or cherished items.  I absolutely love these things!  They are ultra-thin (so even when you have to fold-and-tape it doesn't get awkward) and they are gorgeously crystal clear!  Plus, you never have to replace them!  If you're not into snugness, the 4mm Time-Loks are very nice, but I'm personally not that crazy about them.  Yes, these are expensive options, but you absolutely will not regret it!  Info and pricing available at Welcome to BCEMylar.com :: Comic book storage & preservation supplies, including comic bags, mylar sleeves, acid-free boxes and boards from Bill Cole Enterprises, Inc..  (No, I don't own stock in the company, I just really like the product.)  :D  Hope this info helps! Adrian

Active Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Nov 26, 2002 3:01 am 

Thanks for the information Mike and Adrian.  I've noticed the slight size variations in standard "magazine size" bags. Over the last couple of years, I've held onto the bags that some of the items sent to me have come in (replacing them with my standard bags - ie the cheapo Comic Defense bags readily available at my local comic book store). I've managed to fit some of my slightly larger items (super-modules and REF6, for example) by mixing and matching with these. I've used the Life size bags for everything else. However, my local store has run out of these (as Adrian pointed out, they don't stock it on a regular basis) so I decided to order some bags that actually fit the items - I also like them snug and I find the fold over and tape method aesthetically uappealing - yes, I'm anal.  As per both your suggestions, I'll try the 9.5"/9.75" wide bags for my manuals (and maybe smaller box sets) and the 6"x9"/digest/TVGuide sized bags for the smaller items.  Adrian, if you can give me a way of contacting Fun Yet Bags, I'd appreciate it (I couldn't find a website). Otherwise, I'll take make chances with BagsUnlimited or some other company.  Thanks for the heads up on the Bill Cole bags - I've bookmarked their main page. Now if I can actually aquire items worthy of them.  Thanks again for the info, Rene

Collector

Post Posted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:43 pm 

Your best bet is to order 9 X 12 sized poly bags to bag those items that you do not currently fit.