The Official Acaeum Top 30 adventures of all time
Author

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 7:37 pm 

Limiting myself to modules I still recall and either DM'ed or played in as a player:

1)   Steading of the Hill Giant Chief
2)   Glacial Rift of the Frost Giant Jarl
3)   Hall of the Fire Giant King
4)   Vault of the Drow
5)   Village of Hommlet
6)   White Plume Mountain
7)   Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth
8)   Keep on the Borderlands
9)   Descent Into the Depths
10) Shrine of the Kuo-Toa
11)  Ravenloft
12)  In Search of the Unknown
13)  Hidden Shrine of Tamoachan
14)  Isle of Dread
15)  Expedition to the Barrier Peaks

That is the end of my list.  I do not have a rating for any of the Slavelords modules, and I did not play any of the Dragonlance modules.  If I could, I would vote seven times for each of the G series modules.

Mark

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 10:49 pm 

Here's my ballot stuffing right under the deadline gun:

1) A4 In the Dungeons of the Slavelords
2) A3 Aerie of the Slavelords
3) A2 Secret of the Slaver's Stockade
4) A1 Slavepits of the Undercity
5) G1 Steading of the Hill Giant Chief
6) G3 Hall of the Fire Giant King
7) G2 Glacial Rift of the Frost Giant Jarl
8: B7 Rahasia
9) D1 Descent Into the Depths of the Earth
10) D2 Shrine of Kuo-toa
11) L1 Secret of Bone Hill
12) B4 The Lost City
13) U1 Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh
14) JG Dark Tower
15) B1 In Search of the Unknown
16) R1 To the Aid of Falx
17) X2 Castle Amber
18: WG6 Isle of the Ape
19) S1 Tomb of Horrors
20) L2 The Assassin's Knot

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 10:24 am 

1.) A4 In the dungeon of the Slave lords
2.) S1 Tomb of Horrors
3.) T1 Village of Hommlet
4.) D&D Supplement II: Temple of the Frog
5.) B4 Lost City
6.) A2 Secret of the Slavers Stockade
7.) S2 White Plume Mountain
8.) S4 Lost Caverns of Tsojconth
9.) A1 Slave Pits of the Undercity
10.) A3 Assault on the Aerie of the Slave Lords

"Never let it be said I didn’t do the least I could do."

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 10:44 am 

Keith wrote:

4.) D&D Supplement II: Temple of the Frog

I do have the DA2 Temple of the Frog, but not the D&D Supplement II version -- what are some of the differences, and where could I find a copy?

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 10:56 am 

sleepyCO wrote:Keith wrote:

I do have the DA2 Temple of the Frog, but not the D&D Supplement II version -- what are some of the differences, and where could I find a copy?

Hey sleepy - this is one item where there is a free, legal pdf available for download, courtesy of Dave Arneson. Try here:

http://www.jovianclouds.com/blackmoor/bmc.html

Click on the picture of the supplement for download.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 1:11 pm 

Zhower,

Thanks for posting that link!

Sleepy,
My copy of DA2 disappeared years ago, and I cannot remember the differences off hand.

I had dropped the Supp II version of "Frog" into my 1e AD&D setting, and it did require some modifications.

It's a sentimental favorite.  It's also always reminded me of "Shadows over Innsmouth" by Lovecraft.

"Never let it be said I didn’t do the least I could do."

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 2:12 pm 

Thanks for the link, Zhowar.

Like so many pages of its type, it has not been touched or updated by the creators since 2001.

Mark   8)

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 2:26 pm 

zhowar wrote:
Hey sleepy - this is one item where there is a free, legal pdf available for download, courtesy of Dave Arneson. Try here:

http://www.jovianclouds.com/blackmoor/bmc.html

Click on the picture of the supplement for download.

Thanks Zhowar!  :D

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 6:34 pm 

You are all welcome! I would've posted that link earlier but I assumed everyone around here already knew about it. But I note that it's not on the Acaeum Reference/Downloads page. That page does have an original Blackmoor town map, which you could use with the Temple of the Frog:

http://www.acaeum.com/library/blackmoor.html

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 6:54 pm 

Hey Brian---

I've finally got a little time to finish my long-saved Top 30 post; are you still tabulating or has the deadline passed beyond getting some more data?

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 9:26 pm 

grodog wrote:Hey Brian---

I've finally got a little time to finish my long-saved Top 30 post; are you still tabulating or has the deadline passed beyond getting some more data?

Alan, go ahead.  I am a bit behind on this, obviously.  I will probably get this done this week though, so if you have it post it soon. :)

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 10:59 pm 

Here's my list of favorite D&D modules of all time (not counting stuff published in Dragon or Dungeon, which drops out some strong voting that would gone to Rob Kuntz's Maure Castle dungeon levels and made juggling the list that much more difficult):

1. G3 Hall of the Fire Giant King by Gary Gygax (D&D; TSR)
  2. WG5 Mordenkainen's Fantastic Adventure by Rob Kuntz (AD&D; TSR)
  3. T1 Village of Hommelet by Gary Gygax (AD&D; TSR)
  4. A1 Slave Pits of the Undercity by David Cook (AD&D; TSR)
  5. Maze of Zayene #4 Eight Kings by Rob Kuntz (AD&D from Creations Unlimited, or d20 from Different Worlds)
  6. WG4 Forgotten Temple of Tharizdun by Gary Gygax (AD&D; TSR)
  7. Dark Druids by Rob Kuntz (d20 from Troll Lord Games, and AD&D from Pied Piper Publishing)
  8. D3 Vault of the Drow by Gary Gygax (AD&D; TSR)
  9. Starstone by Paul Vernon (OD&D; Northern Sages)
  10. S4 Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth by Gary Gygax (AD&D; TSR)
  11. Return of the Eight by Roger E. Moore (AD&D 2nd edition; TSR)
  12. Tomb of Abysthor by Clark Peterson and Bill Webb (d20; Necromancer Games)
  13. "Treasures of the Dragon Queen" by Rutgers University Gamers (D&D convention tourney c. 1983; Rutgers University Gamers; details on my site @ http://www.greyhawkonline.com/grodog/gh_tourneys_dragon_queen.html)
  14. Maze of Zayene #1 Prisoners of the Maze by Rob Kuntz (AD&D from Creations Unlimited, or d20 from Necromancer Games)
  15. D1 Descent into the Depths of the Earth by Gary Gygax (D&D; TSR)
  16. The Lost Abbey of Calthonwey by Kerry Lloyd (AD&D; Phoenix Games)
  17. Castle Zagyg:  Dark Chateau by Rob Kuntz (d20; Troll Lord Games)
  18. Beastmaker Mountain by Bill Fawcett (AD&D; Mayfai Games)
  19. R1 To the Aid of Falx by Frank Mentzer (AD&D; TSR)
  20. Crucible of Freya by Clark Peterson and Bill Webb (d20; Necromancer Games)

Honorable Mentions (in no particular order):

• Seren Ironhand by Tom Moldvay (AD&D; Challenges)
  • B1 In Search of the Unknown by Mike Carr (D&D; TSR)
  • X2 Castle Amber by Tom Moldvay (D&D; TSR)
  • X4 Master of the Desert Nomads by David Cook (D&D; TSR)
  • X5 Temple of Death by David Cook (D&D; TSR)
  • N1 Against the Cult of the Reptile God by Douglas Niles (AD&D; TSR)
  • B4 Lost City by Tom Molvay (D&D; TSR)
  • WG6 Isle of the Ape by Gary Gygax (AD&D; TSR)
  • N5 Under Illefarn by Steve Perrin (AD&D; TSR)
  • Three Days to Kill by John Tynes (d20; Atlas Games)
  • Demons & Devils by Bill Webb and Clark Peterson (d20; Necromancer Games)
  • Caverns of Thracia by Paul Jaquays (OD&D from Judges Guild, or d20 from Judges Guild and Necromancer Games; I've only skimmed this, or it may have ended up in the top 20)
  • The Abduction of Good King Despot by Will and Schar Niebling (AD&D; New Infinities Productions)

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 11:28 pm 

At last, here's my list

1) D1 Descent Into the Depths of the Earth
2) Starstone
3) G1 Steading of the Hill Giant Chief  
4) L2 Assassins Knot
5) UK2 Sentinel
6) City of the Spider Queen (D20 Forgotten Realms)
7) B1 In Search of the Unknown
8) X2 Castle Amber
9) T1 Village of Hommlett
10) I6 Ravenloft
11) Ruins of Undermountain
12) B2  Keep on the Borderlands
13) B3 Palace of the Silver Princess
14) S4 Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth
15) G3 Fire Giants
16)  Q1 Demonweb Pits
17)  I3 Pharoah
18) X1 Isle of Dread
19) X4 Master of the Desert Nomads
20) For Duty & Deity

Sorry it's late!
Like any favourites list this is already out of date!
Tough to pick individuals out of the GDQ series - many happy memories
Also a bit of a FR slant (just my personal preference - sorry)

But my favourite adventure ever is Irilian - classic stuff

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 2:42 pm 

I recently jumped in here to help BC with my Create Huge Spreadsheet spell, and — after two run-throughs of the data — I'm ready to say the results are final.

Again, I think this was a great idea for a fun thread; we just get so damn serious around here sometimes. On behalf of BC, thanks to all who took the time to vote (28 voters, BTW, although not everyone filled out all 20 places).

The full top 30 list, along with some details that I found interesting, will follow within the hour. For now, I thought you might want to know that our winner is ...

(drum roll)

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 2:55 pm 

Thanks Duke. :)   I can say that its not much of a surprise what the winner is.  It had to be either T1 or one of the G modules, just way too many old schoolers around here for it to have been anything else. :wink:

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 4:15 pm 

Blackmoor wrote:7) C2 Ghost Tower of Invernes
       What the hell is going on here anyway?

10) D3 The Vault of the Drow
       Endless adventure against evil

BTW, no one noticed that our first voter skipped places 8 and 9. :) And that includes me; I would never have spotted it if I hadn't actually been trying to get everything to add up.

For the record, Blackmoor, I just moved all of your other votes up two spots. But I'm curious: which adventures got left off your list? :)

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 4:24 pm 

Okay, it's Top 30 time!

Some notes:

* Points were scored on an inverse basis of place (i.e., 20 points for a first-place vote and counting down to one point for a 20th-place vote);
* Ties were broken, if possible, by most total votes received;
* Not every voter listed 20 adventures (although most did);
* A total of 131 adventures received at least one vote 8O;
* Every top finisher in the top 30 was a TSR module (I'll add some non-TSR details in a later post).
* Why in the world would anyone ever volunteer to add all this stuff up? :) Well, I'm not working right now (home with the baby), I'm bored out of my mind half of the time, and — this is sort of sad — I actually like this sort of spreadsheet silliness.

Anyway, here's how it all wound up:

Prolific Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 6:18 pm 

Had to stop by for a bit to add to a quality classics thread.  Late, of course.  :D

Here's my classic modules list.  If anyone asks you why they should play these old adventures, when things are so much flashier now, here's my reasons.  ;)  I feel these are eternal because they teach lessons that modern adventure writers rarely even comprehend.

#1 B10, Night's Dark Terror.  A cinematic adventure set against a lavish campaign setting, where a sense of wonder supersedes the usual focus on power and treasure.  It elegantly balances a single story against a larger backdrop, strongly encouraging you to use this as the focus of an entire campaign.  Shows the DM what campaign development and lasting locations have to offer.  Also has a nice classic British pulp feel, for those of you who like things like Sorcery!, Fighting Fantasy and Warhammer as sidelines to D&D.

#2 S2, White Plume Mountain.  The dungeon doesn't make any sense.  But it gives an unequaled air of mystery and intrigue.  The map of the mountain's environs is one of the perfect adventure hooks that will leave players yearning to explore "over the edge."  Keraptis' poem is a darker echo of Tolkien's dwarven songs from The Hobbit.  And everyone has to try to answer the question for themselves -- Is Keraptis alive?  S2 is the adventuring spirit, in a single tiny package.

#3 A4, In the Dungeon of the Slave Lords.  What happens when you strip away everything the players rely on?  Either intense creative thinking, or horrible death.  Or both.  Either way, this is the best D&D adventure for challenging the bored and lazy.

#4 B2, Keep on the Borderlands.  Gygax is the master at taking bland monsters (humanoid swarms) and giving them a heart and soul.  The details of living quarters, behavior, tactics, methods of hiding treasure, etc. make the world and the opponents feel real.  If you want the players to care, put them in a world, in conflict with other living, breathing creatures.  A great lesson in dungeon design.

#5 D3, Vault of the Drow.  Some of my most haunting childhood dreams came from descriptions of the Vault crystals, the evil and yet loving succubus and vampire, the dying race discovered and threatened with extinction by young upstarts from the world above, the cruel goddess forcing her believers away from the rise of a new-yet-ancient rival … if I had to describe this one in a single word, it would be Lovecraftian.  D3, while shorthand, reeks of dark atmosphere.

#6 G3, Hall of the Fire Giant King.  The ultimate way to turn a "kill the foozle" quest on its head.  You walk into the dungeon, and one of your very first encounters is with your nemesis.  Then, you find out he's a pawn to an ancient race, and horrible secrets begin to emerge.  Plus the "purple temple" is classic.  This is the guide to the "wheels within wheels" mentality, how to keep a campaign intriguing by offering ever-deeper circles of drama and revelation.

#7 S1, Tomb of Horrors.  Although arbitrary and unfair, this one will cause your players to play harder and more desperately than they ever have before.  The lesson here -- there is always a higher power.  You can become epic, but you can never become unchallenged.  A great look at elaborating on established game mechanics to keep veteran players forever challenged.

#8 T1, The Village of Hommlet.  Everyone focuses on the Moathouse, but the real adventure here is in the village itself.  Gygax's unique merging of medieval accuracy and storytelling flair comes to the front here.  Characters like Jaroo, Burne, Rufus and Gundigoot will last a campaign a lifetime.  It's the companion piece to B2.  First, we made the monsters come to life; now, the NPCs.  Make the players care about a place, give them something to fight for.  Plus, the rural Greyhawk atmosphere is great.  The Welcome Wench drink list is a masterpiece of concise images and adventure hooks.

#9 WG4, Forgotten Temple of Tharizdun.  The mystery is intriguing because it has no real answer, even for the DM.  There are secrets in the world so deep that even the Dungeon Master will never fully fathom them.  But best of all, this is a masterpiece of evil, coordinated monster tactics.  This is how smart monsters fight.  They don't sit in rooms and wait to be robbed.  Read and play this one before the G series, then apply what you learn there (especially to the G1 hall and G3 in its entirety).

#10 X4, Master of the Desert Nomads.  A surprisingly compelling desert adventure.  It plays much better than it reads.  Interesting encounters like the bandit raid, the sinister monastery (Should we fight? Stay? Leave?), and many others give this one a fascinating feel.  But only #10, because this one requires a skilled DM to come to life.

#11 N1, Against the Cult of the Reptile God.  Remixes the classic dungeon crawl, giving a wonderful sense of danger, while keeping things relatively tame.  It's a great example of how to make lower-level characters feel important.  The end device, of an overpowered monster being evened out by protective magic, gives a nice sense of accomplishment.  The town isn't nearly as compelling as Hommlet, however, so it's #11.

#12 A1, Slave Pits of the Undercity.  A great example of the competitive dungeon crawl in its prime.  Split your group in two, and have them run the adventure separately, and let them know they will be scored.  This one will give your players a nice dose of tactical encounters, and teach them to expect the unexpected.

#13 B7, Rahasia.  Another nice example of getting low-level characters to care about their environment and its inhabitants.  Also a fairly good story.  It's basically a primitive but revolutionary prototype, showing the promise that B10 later delivered on.  Takes adventuring in directions Gygax probably did not envision.

#14 Q1, Queen of the Demonweb Pits.  Although disliked for its uneven tone, this one is striking because it takes so many chances.  Infinite worlds, the first in-depth exploration of outer planes, the steampunk ship (long before the genre became mainstream), the endless hooks for future games … it's a very bold, if flawed, package.  The DMG and early D&D focused on anachronism (starships, wild west, Gamma World, Blackmoor futuretech, etc.), so this one's reputation as "not really fitting" is quite unfair.

#15 D2, Shrine of the Kuo-Toa.  Purely for the atmosphere of the dead society fighting against impossible odds, the description of the temple, and the beautiful architecture of the master map.  Vastly down-ranked, however, for repetitive and boring encounters that are crying out for a DM's hand.  Take what you learn from S2, WG4 and B2 and apply it here to create a masterpiece.

#16 EX1, Dungeonland.  Probably the most unpopular of the Gygaxian adventures; I admire it because I'm an Alice and Carroll devotee.  If you study Victorian literature and lifestyle at all, you have to nod in admiration at some of the "extensions" Gygax made to Wonderland.  The humor, however, is trite and contrived and never really works.  This is an example of how to create a wonderful tribute to an existing work, and also the pitfalls in the procedure.  If you're thinking of adapting a classic novel and making an adventure out of it, read this.  (EX2, although not as well-designed, is worth a nod.)

#17 G2, Glacial Rift of the Frost Giant Jarl.  A great example of the thematic and outdoor dungeon.  Repetitive encounters, but lots of great traps and details.  This one needs a lot of fleshing out, and begs to be expanded to 32 pages.  But it's a perfect example of the "do it yourself" module.  The basics are there, teasing you, daring you to make them come to life.  (In a similar vein, a nod to the sample dungeon in the DMG.)

#18 I2, Tomb of the Lizard King.  A surprisingly strong dungeon crawl, with a memorable foe.  This module, to me, marks the beginning of "classic nostalgia."  It has all of the elements, but the Gygaxian feel and underlying knowledge of the medieval age are missing.

#19 B1, In Search of the Unknown.  A wonderful setting -- an attempt to make the illogical dungeon make sense, with the now-contrived "mad wizard" plot hook.  On the list because it not only encourages the DM to develop it, it shows them how.  Placing monsters and treasure leads to the deeper questions that drive future adventures and eventually campaigns.  (How did this get here?  When?  Why?)  The pool room and mushroom garden are great archetypes of mystery and exploration (hence the title).  Plus, who can look at the map of the first level and not get an undeniable urge to go dungeon delving with freshly-rolled level ones?

#20 L1, The Secret of Bone Hill.  A great extension of T1, in that it shows how to link towns, wilderness and dungeons together into a cohesive whole.  Could have used more plot (that came in the under-rated L2), but it's a great template to work from.

PreviousNext